Okay. I'm freaking out. Black Leica M2

pico

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Pico,

I don't use the strap to carry the camera on my shoulder. I wrap the strap with NO pad twice around the wrist of my left hand to keep it secure & then I let the camera sit in my left hand all of the time.

I have the length of the strap adjusted so that when I am taking a photo with the strap on my shoulder (?) that: When I "snug" the strap against my shoulder by placing the eyepiece so that I am looking thru it & I am slightly tightening the camera against my head: I have at least + 1 stop of stability in terms of shutter speeds.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot - the point of posting the pictures is to invite experts to find flaws. The only one I find is the center of the button rewind which, I think, should be black which makes no sense to me because it is most likely to wear - to chrome or brass?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Pico,

It is a good idea to have others look. Better to have this information from a friend than to hear it from a potential buyer.

Inside the rewind side. At the top where the rewind mechanism is. There seems to be some distress to the purposefully soft screw head. This might just be the effects of the lighting.

On the accessory shoe on top. Also purposely soft screw heads. Top left screw seems distressed. 2 screws on right side seem to be mildly distressed.

Best Regards,

Michael

Michael, your observations strike me as being most due to the quality of the light: straightforward, non-diffuse sunlight.  Such light is unforgiving to showing detail. For example, the picture of the very top shows dust I did not see until processed. Thank you for bringing that up!

Edited by pico

No pictures of the bayonet ring for wear or 'L' seal? I agree with Michael about the screw heads, especially on the accessory shoe. But if it had ever been used to the level that a repaint was deemed necessary the brass strap lugs would show some deformation which couldn't be covered just with a coat of paint. Have they been replaced, are they brass under the black, you should be able to see from the inside? But the most curious thing is how does a camera remain so pristine and not have it's original box? There also appears to be some paint rubbing on the film counter dial, would it have left the factory with the dial and advance lever rubbing? And what may be purely subjective, the finish doesn't have the look of a period enamel satin verging on gloss paint that I associate with early black M's, and there appears to be a heavier texture finish on the top plate blanking plug next to the film counter pointer. Oh, and the bump stops are missing from the back door, strange as this would be a standard part with the heavy gloss finish of a regular M2, yet appears to have exactly the same satin paint finish as the body........

Steve

Edited by 250swb

Pico, beautiful camera and while I'm no expert I'm certain of two things;

1) it would look amazing with my 35 pre asph summilux, and;

2) it's worth more than I can bring myself to spend on a camera.

On the off chance that I'm wrong on the second count, do you have a second? My super angulon is after a BP M2 too. :)

Thanks for sharing the pics, and good luck with it.

Sadly, I think Pico blew up a storm before getting his facts together.. This somewhat surprises me.. His other half hopefully never spent these substantial funds in anticipation.. (So at the end of the day, it's just another well used/repainted Leica camera)...

Edited by Manoleica

Have you just bought it Pico? If so I'd be asking the seller a few urgent questions...

That auction ended last year (to the day). Presumably Pico wasn't the buyer then or he'd have known then that the camera was touched up by Leica (it is clearly stated in the ebay description). I thought, from the way he goes on, that these are cameras that he has owned for decades.

Edited by wattsy

Indeed it is the same camera with minor cosmetic differences: the rewind collar is not black, nor is the shutter release collar.

Edited by pico