Which lens is beter? X2(x-e) or X

asterinex

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry to bother you again bit I'm really torn beween A Second hand leica X or à new Leica X2.

For me it comes down to the IQ of the lens.

The Leica X lens cannot be used wide open when object is close, so it limits its use.

How does the elmarit and Summilux compare on 2.8 ? Which lens is better from 2.8f? which one has the Leica look more?

Thx

Gert

The lenses between the Leica X1, X2 and X-E are identical. The X2 and X-E are actually identical camera's except for the aesthetics of the camera body.

The new X (Typ 113) of course has a different lens than the X1,X2,X-E which is quite a bit better but renders the out of focus areas a bit busier than the X1,X2,X-E Elmarit lens does.

They both have 'Leica look' since they are both Leica lenses, but 'the Leica look' as you define is is something non existent I think, because all Leica lenses have Leica look because they are Leica lenses, but a lot of the lenses render quite differently to each other, so you might ask yourself, what is the Leica look?

The imaging sensor in the X (Typ 113) has remained the same as in the X2 and X-E, so the only real difference are the screen and body, and the newer lens which is a bit faster. It stops down in close focussing range to remain good imaging quality this is normal and F2,8 at 20 centimeters will still get you significant background blur.

If you're interested I've got an X-E (Typ 102) brand new in the box for sale, with full warranty PM me if interested. 

Sorry to bother you again bit I'm really torn beween A Second hand leica X or à new Leica X2.

For me it comes down to the IQ of the lens.

The Leica X lens cannot be used wide open when object is close, so it limits its use.

How does the elmarit and Summilux compare on 2.8 ? Which lens is better from 2.8f? which one has the Leica look more?

Thx

Gert

The X 113 will give you a 'better' aperture option at F 1.7, will be more expensive, will allow for a more expensive and better viewfinder. It will be physically larger.  The X2 will be smaller and more compact.  Both will give you terrific images. If it were me, I'd make the decision based on cost and size. The X113 will do better in low light with the larger aperture.

If you really want/prefer depth of field and better low light capacity, and are willing to pay more  for it, I'd go with the X 113.

If portability is an issue the X2 or XE cannot be beat!  

Hope that confuses you some more! Good choices and good luck with your decision.

Rob

If you don't need the larger aperture of the X lens, I would suggest going for the X2 or X-E. Comparing online images from the X2 and X, I have seen nothing to convince me that the X lens is superior. In fact, I generally prefer the X2 images. I don't know if a "scientific" comparison of the performances of the X2 and X lenses at f/2.8 has been done, but I do know from personal experience that the wide open performance of the X2 is favorably comparable to its performance at smaller apertures.

I have done quite a lot of shooting with both the X2 and the X typ 113. While both are good cameras, the only thing that the X2 surpasses the X typ 113 with respect to is small size and weight. This is one of the smallest concerns to me, since I tend to prefer a slightly larger camera that fits my hands better anyway.

Controls, build quality, lens quality, usability, and so forth, are all improved with the X typ 113. Manual focusing in particular is FAR nicer with the X typ 113. The X typ 113 also focuses closer and implements AutoISO in manual exposure mode, a true boon for street shooting. 

My use of the X type 113 has been superseded by the M-D typ 262 fitted with a Summilux 35mm v2 lens in recent times, but I occasionally miss the X's ability to focus down to eight inches—the 'Lux 35 v2 minimum focus is 1m. 

• Like 1

I have done quite a lot of shooting with both the X2 and the X typ 113. While both are good cameras, the only thing that the X2 surpasses the X typ 113 with respect to is small size and weight. This is one of the smallest concerns to me, since I tend to prefer a slightly larger camera that fits my hands better anyway. ............

+1

I also prefer the size of the X (and the X Vario). However, I think the added bulk of the handgrip makes the X2 somewhat more manageable. The capability to use filters is another advantage of the X. I added a lens tube to the X2 in order to accommodate filters, but of course this ruins its pocketability advantage.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thx for the very useful info.

My main camera is the sony a7 which I use solely with legacy glass.(contax zeiss glass) But I want something smaller with equal IQ for some occasions I don't want to lug around something big, don't want o MF or don't want to intimidate people.

Than the X-E came into the foreground with a rebate of 50%. 750 Dollars. Then a second hand offer came by for the X and visoflex VF.

The brighter lens attracts me because I shoot a lot with background bokeh it will also do well for indoor family shots.

But I loose portablity.

I can only afford 1 extra cam. Im still confused. Saturday is D-Day

Buy the X-E, especially the "used" one offered in post #2. If you want fast and light, and get an OVF (I have mine advertised elsewhere). Makes for a small, light, fast unit.

The a7 for all the other stuff, where full frame, legacy glass is needed/wanted. I'd say you'll use the X-E more most likely.

Gary

• Like 1