Q WiFi Connection Problems With App

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi -

I have a new Q with the latest firmware, but after watching numerous YouTube videos, still cannot get it to correctly WIFI connect with my Android phone and app for remote use.

All the videos indicate putting the camera in "host mode"in the WLAN mode setting.  The latest firmware does not have host mode, but instead offers "create WLAN" or "join WLAN"  Which should be used?

Also, I understand that the Leica Q app only works for jpeg files, correct?

Any direction here will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Edited by photoray

The Camera creates its own WLAn net, so you have to Switch on first the camera and select W-fi.

The smartphone app will find this new WLAN net. There are 2 ways to connect. You can either scan the Q-Code from the display of the camera or you can connect via set-up of define the Wlan Network. This is only to be done once. I always connect via WLAn, scanning the code is for me an awkward step more. But both ways should function.

• Like 1

Well, I am still having problems connecting my Q with the app via WiFi.  

I suspect it may be because I use my android phone for internet connection with it's hotspot (since I live in a rural area with no internet).  Does the app connection need any internet connection to work?

With firmware 2.0 I go WLAN>Connection>RemoteControl and WLAN Mode>Create Mode.  The Q-Code is registered is in the app and then says "searching camera in Leica Q-514XXXXX".  The app hangs until the camera says the connection failed.  No connection made.

Note:  My phone turns off the wifi connection when the hotspot turns on and using just the wifi connection fails, because the app indicates there is no internet connection. 

Thanks -

N

Update: I gave Leica support a call regarding connecting the app to the Q via WiFi.  They weren't sure if you needed internet access with Android and will advise back.  Apparently, the iPhone and iOS will connect with the camera's wifi directly, but we are not sure about Android.

Thanks for your feedback everyone!

No, you don't need internet.   On an iPhone you set the camera to create it's net and then go to the wifi settings in the system configuration and make sure that you are connected to the network the camera has created.   Then you run the app.  That is from memory and I hope I'm not confusing the Q with the other wifi camera I own.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since you are using the WiFi net created by the camera to communicate only with your own devices there is no internet connection necessary.

To scan the QR code is sometimes awkward and does not function very well so that it is better to choose the connection via WLan directly. This network created once by the camera has to be  allowed access to your smartphone. Maybe that you have to modify that in your properties. Just check this out. The message of failure you mentioned is giving a hint that you may have missed here a step in between.

• Like 1

The beauty of this is you DON'T need internet. In fact, cellular aside you're basically offline while connected to the Q anyhow since it becomes your "internet" connection.  This is awesome when you're in the middle of nowhere and you want to remote control your Leica.  Turn off the wifi hotspot on your phone when trying to connect to the Q, that may be the problem since your phone is trying to be the router at the same time your Q is.  With hotspot disabled it will probably work as intended.

Edited by katsanes
  • Like 1

I wonder if it would work better if you used the WiFi hotspot.  Tell the Q to connect to your existing WiFi hotspot, pick your phone's network and log into it.  Then ask the App to find the Q and it should come right up.  

This has the added advantage that other clients in your network will still have Internet access.  If you use the Q as the Wlan host, that will turn off access for anyone connected with your phone.

I know that when I hook up the Q to my existing home network, this all works great and is much easier to set up than the create network option on the Q, which requires that you turn off Internet entirely and use the Q as the only host on the network.

Hope that helps.  I would test it but I have an iPhone, not Android, and I don't want to mess up my configuration with more options.

I will try again today and appreciate everyone's input.

My one question is: Will the WiFi connection with the app work on Android phones? I know it works on iPhone iOS.

I will report back.

Thank you!

N

Yes. It works with android phones and tablets and as has been said in previous responses, you don't need an Internet connection. In fact you don't even need a SIM in your phone. I am using a Samsung android, and an Apple iPad. . Use any old phone to control your camera. The phone creates a wifi zone and your camera finds it. You camera will have to be told what your phones wifi password is. Am I being rude for asking whether you have loaded the Leica application on your phone. It's necessary. And have you updated your camera firmware AND loaded the most up to date version of the application on to your phone. Original versions were definitely shakey!

It takes some practice to recognise what is going on. After a few attempts you'll wonder why it took you so long.

Finally, don't get hung up about getting this feature working. You have lots to learn about the Q.

Take photos!

Edited by lucerne

The best advice is to not get hung up in this feature :)

I have made a WiFi connection, without hotspot, "sort of."  I can connect in back up mode, but not remote mode.  Thanks Lucerne for your help, and yes I have the latest firmware 2.0 on the Q, the latest Q application installed (again) on my phones.

What a hassle, it doesn't work for me.  I shoot primarily raw anyway and didn't buy the Q for this feature anyway.

I must say, implied operator error aside, I have used many WiFi apps before and this one is not very good in my opinion.

Thanks anyway.

N

• Like 1

The best advice is to not get hung up in this feature :)

I have made a WiFi connection, without hotspot, "sort of." I can connect in back up mode, but not remote mode. Thanks Lucerne for your help, and yes I have the latest firmware 2.0 on the Q, the latest Q application installed (again) on my phones.

What a hassle, it doesn't work for me. I shoot primarily raw anyway and didn't buy the Q for this feature anyway.

I must say, implied operator error aside, I have used many WiFi apps before and this one is not very good in my opinion.

Thanks anyway.

N

For the reasons you have given, I also found that it was often too unreliable and I shoot RAW. Now that the camera can be set to shoot RAW only, it seems that immediate bulk file transfer is impractical. The only good feature I've found, is the ability to control and shoot, but again, carrying and operating extra equipment is hardly an enhancement for street photography. Let's keep everything simple! That's the real Leica concept, but users are unfortunately challenging the historical concept. Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi there. I hope someone can help me.

I'm trying to connect my Q to my iPhone.

Everything works fine until after I select photo(s) and try to download the photo(s).

The download symbol simply doesn't respond to touch. However, the trash symbol does respond to touch.

What's up? THANKS in advance.

Hi there. I hope someone can help me.

I'm trying to connect my Q to my iPhone.

Everything works fine until after I select photo(s) and try to download the photo(s).

The download symbol simply doesn't respond to touch. However, the trash symbol does respond to touch.

What's up? THANKS in advance.

it can only transfer jpegs so if you are trying to transfer raw files it won't work
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying to set up the Q with my iPad but without much practical result. I can connect the app to the camera. But when I want to actually do something (like seeing/transferring JPGs or remote control the camera), there is no reaction from the app at all. Anyone having the same issue? Both app and firmware in the Q are latest. Thanks.