There is a half press of the button on the remote release

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Contrary to what some have said and what I previously thought, there is a half press of the shutter button on the remote release. I was trying (and failing) to get some photographs of the Perseid meteor shower last night. Of course, as soon as I got a camera set up on a tripod, every meteor went and hid or came in from behind my back. Just to get the camera set up, I had the 24-90 on it. I fitted my 0.95 Noctilux on it after it was set up. I had the 24-90 in MF and before I even thought: "no that does not work" I had given the remote release a half press and the distance information appeared in the top LCD. I am sure some others tried this and it did not work. I can't believe I have the only remote release with a two level press. It is quite difficult to control, as the difference between a half press and a full shutter release press is very slight. This will be very handy for tripod shots using MF with a -10EV stopper and a polariser mounted, to get long exposures with large apertures in daylight. It is quite difficult to manual focus accurately with a -10EV stopper on. Much easier to use a cheap laser rangefinder and dial in the distance to the SL. 

Wilson

yes ..... it always has had a half press and works exactly like the shutter button. 

I have spent many a merry hour with it half pressed to lock focus in AF while trying to get some of the bird photos I posted ...... and to check and lock exposure when using manual lenses. 

• Like 1

yes ..... it always has had a half press and works exactly like the shutter button. 

I have spent many a merry hour with it half pressed to lock focus in AF while trying to get some of the bird photos I posted ...... and to check and lock exposure when using manual lenses. 

I don't know if it was because mine was rather stiff at first but you could not get it to half press. Someone else complained about it on the forum and we agreed that it was incredible that Leica did not incorporate the vital half press. Well it appears they did, just not very well. It would be close to impossible to hold mine on half press for more than a few seconds, as another 0.1mm movement triggers the shutter. Hopefully as I carry on using it, it will improve further. 

Wilson

Yes, it works fine with mine too. It's no different from any other remote cable I've used: press against the light spring load until you hit the detent, that's the half-way mark. Press against the heavier spring load a bit further to release the shutter. It doesn't seem to be particularly hair trigger; feels just like the Olympus wired remote.