When size and weight matters, 150+ mm

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A question possibly somewhat on the side of most shooters, but nevertheless: Any suggestions/experiences with a 150 mm or longer lens on SL (or the M-system with EVF)?

When hiking, I always bring with me the lovely 90 mm f4 Macro-Elmar M. But sometimes it would be great to have a longer lens as well. In this particular situation, weight and size are more important than optical perfection, so the excellent APO R options are out of question (albeit I would love to bring with me the 280 f4 APO R, but I am not an eager teenager anymore...).

Could 90 mm f4 Macro-Elmar M + M->R adapter + 2xAPO-R converter + R->L adapter on the SL be a solution? I have not tested this combination, but I certainly will when time permits.

Other suggestions?

Thanks!

Thanks!

For the time being SL (or M240/M246) with 21 Super-Elmar-M and 90 Macro-Elmar-M is a fine compromise (sometimes with 50APO-M included in the mix). Adding 750g to such a package is on the heavy side, albeit not impossible, I guess.

135/3.4 or 135/4.0 M lenses.

If longer 150 I would also think 180/3.4 or 80-200/4.0 R lenses.

I have used both the 135/3.4 and 80-200/4.0 and they work fine.

But keep in mind you dont havr OS/IS and no AF.

I have to say if size and weight matters I use the T and leave the SL at home.

• Like 2

A question possibly somewhat on the side of most shooters, but nevertheless: Any suggestions/experiences with a 150 mm or longer lens on SL (or the M-system with EVF)?

Could 90 mm f4 Macro-Elmar M + M->R adapter + 2xAPO-R converter + R->L adapter on the SL be a solution? I have not tested this combination, but I certainly will when time permits.

You can't fit an M lens in front of the R extender. 

For tele reach with light weight and modest size, I've been using the Elmar-R 180mm f/4, with and without the 2x Extender-R, for up to an effective 360mm f/8 long tele. Although not APO class quality, the SL performs very nicely with this lens and with the lens+extender. I can pair the extender with Elmarit-R 135 or Summicron-R 90mm as well. 

23084093810_7ae064672e_o.jpg

25102115451_e22dbba8c1_o.jpg

both: Leica SL + Elmar-R 180mm f/4

• Like 1

When hiking, I always bring with me the lovely 90 mm f4 Macro-Elmar M. But sometimes it would be great to have a longer lens as well. In this particular situation, weight and size are more important than optical perfection, so the excellent APO R options are out of question (albeit I would love to bring with me the 280 f4 APO R, but I am not an eager teenager anymore...).

Other suggestions?

Thanks!

I had the same need for tele lens while hiking and bought Voigtlander 180 APO Lanthar in Nikon mount for my M. This is one lb lens with adapter and has excellent optics. It focuses quite close which is a bonus as well. This lens is so small that I can easily carry it in coat pocket. The bokeh is excellent.. Ming Thein goes gaga about it. There is nothing not to like.

However....  I have stopped taking this lens for hikes and thinking of selling it off. The reason is that the tiny 90mm Macro-Elmar-M is so sharp that it's 180mm equiv FOV crop (around 6mp after crop) is perfectly fine even for A4 (and possibly A3) prints. Yes, I have done prints and received good feedback from family and friends. Certified. :)  

Unless there is a need to print A1/A2 size for 180mm FOV, shooting with 180mm lens is not necessary. A short tele like 90mm works beautifully.

I have also come to conclusion that while hiking a FL longer than 90mm is needed *only if* one is expecting to shoot wild life. In that case I would rather carry my 80-200vario+2xAPO for maximum flexibility (or 180mm 3.4 APO+2xAPO as others have noted).

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

Correct... (and thanks).

Unless... you have a removable head. The head from my 135mm tele-elmar can be removed and used with focusing mount OTZFO. This connects to R2M adapter and whole combo (so far) starts acting like R lens with perfect infinity focusing.

This can be attached to M or SL body using appropriate R adapter. You can also insert 2X APO R in between to double the FL.

Yes, I have used it successfully with my 135mm Tele-Elmar and M240. I believe similar setup is possible with other removable heads (they were supposed to be used in Visioflex).

I should add that I don't see much practical value of this Frankenstein combination other than sheer joy of admiring Leica craftsmanship and some fringe benefit like using M mount 135mm tele-elmar  with 2XAPO R.

• Like 1

I had the same need for tele lens while hiking and bought Voigtlander 180 APO Lanthar in Nikon mount for my M. This is one lb lens with adapter and has excellent optics. It focuses quite close which is a bonus as well. This lens is so small that I can easily carry it in coat pocket. The bokeh is excellent.. Ming Thein goes gaga about it. There is nothing not to like.

However....  I have stopped taking this lens for hikes and thinking of selling it off. The reason is that the tiny 90mm Macro-Elmar-M is so sharp that it's 180mm equiv FOV crop (around 6mp after crop) is perfectly fine even for A4 (and possibly A3) prints. Yes, I have done prints and received good feedback from family and friends. Certified. :)  

Unless there is a need to print A1/A2 size for 180mm FOV, shooting with 180mm lens is not necessary. A short tele like 90mm works beautifully.

I have also come to conclusion that while hiking a FL longer than 90mm is needed *only if* one is expecting to shoot wild life. In that case I would rather carry my 80-200vario+2xAPO for maximum flexibility (or 180mm 3.4 APO+2xAPO as others have noted).

but then, by the same token, you can crop a 180 Dow to 360.

It is maybe strange, but the old Elmar-R 4/180 is in my eyes much more elegant and more desirable than the (fake name) Voigtlander 4/180 even despite apo and close focusing (1:4).

The Elmar shows the construction skills Leica had in their heyday. By the way, the lens was then VERY expensive. Just my personal impression.

And now it is to be had for chicken feed.

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

Unless... you have a removable head. The head from my 135mm tele-elmar can be removed and used with focusing mount OTZFO. This connects to R2M adapter and whole combo (so far) starts acting like R lens with perfect infinity focusing.

This can be attached to M or SL body using appropriate R adapter. You can also insert 2X APO R in between to double the FL.

Yes, I have used it successfully with my 135mm Tele-Elmar and M240. I believe similar setup is possible with other removable heads (they were supposed to be used in Visioflex).

I should add that I don't see much practical value of this Frankenstein combination other than sheer joy of admiring Leica craftsmanship and some fringe benefit like using M mount 135mm tele-elmar  with 2XAPO R.

;)

I have a lovely 1959-ish Hektor 135mm f/4.5, along with both the standard rangefinder and the Visoflex mounts. Yes, I can fit it with a Visoflex mount to R adapter to the 2x Extender-R, but like you I don't see much practical value to this combination. Better to fit the Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8 instead.

I had both Telyt-R 250 and Elmar-R 180 out on the tripod yesterday for some testing with the 2x Extender-R and decided to snap a little beauty shot with the iPhone: 

29024523385_a4044ed998_o.jpg

29024524155_ef478f1183_o.jpg

The 180mm lens plus extender is a couple of inches shorter and about half the weight. 
  • Like 1

Pardon an opinion from an Olde Pharte. If a camera/lens combination is going to make your picture then tough it out and make the picture. Weight especially with current Leica lenses is insignificant.

• Like 1

Pardon an opinion from an Olde Pharte. If a camera/lens combination is going to make your picture then tough it out and make the picture. Weight especially with current Leica lenses is insignificant.

Highlight mine....

Not for hikers who drill toothbrush handle to save backpack weight. :)