New 28 Summicron drawing comparison with 35 Summilux FLE

shootinglulu

Same IQ as 28/2 v1 with a bit more sharpness in the corners in my experience. I don't focus at infinity though so corners could be even better there i don't know. All in all 28/2 v1 & v2 look a bit smoother than 35/1.4 FLE but comparing different FL makes little sense due to different FoV and DoF.

• Like 1

The 28 cron has a high micro contrast at the focus plane, high natural vignetting, and regular bell shaped field curvature. Every image I have seen from it reminds me of my own ZM lenses. The FLE has a typical Leica rendering with high sparkle, high resolution, wavy field curvature.

The v1 Summicron 28mm has a much gentler (less constrasty) rendering than the 35mm FLE Summilux. (So I agree with pechelman.)

Since when Zeiss is synonymous with high contrast? Show me one ZM lens with no gentle rendering. Don't confuse high micro contrast with high contrast.

PS. The one exception I can think of is the new ZM 35/1.4. It has a flat field curvature and slightly nicer bokeh, but otherwise very similar to the FLE.

Edited by edwardkaraa

I've been shooting with the 35 FLE for almost 4 years and after thousands of images I have not noticed a wavy curvature in the DOF.  The lens is extremely sharp, so I think I'd notice if parts of the frame were wandering in and out of the DOF.  Maybe I have not hit upon the right composition to exhibit it, but I have not seen anything odd or suspect that has compelled me to look for curvature of field issues.  

I picked up the 28 Cron II several months ago.  It has definitely improved in the corners (vs the original 28mm Cron) and is a very sharp lens.  The wide open bokeh can be smoother than the 35 FLE at F1.4, but if I stopped down the 35 FLE to F2, I don't know if there would be much difference between the two in terms of the bokeh character (smoothness).  The 28mm Cron has less bokeh blur / abstraction due to being 28mm (vs a 35mm lens), so it's a tough comparison.

If picking between these two lenses, I'd base it on focal length preference.  I find the 35mm FLE easier to use and prefer the 35mm framelines vs the 28mm framelines (hard to see through the OVF).  Also having the extra F-stop helps in low light exposures.

Some of wide open shots from the 35 FLE here.  I know the 35mm FLE can be guilty of nervous / busy bokeh, but in my normal shots that has proven to be a non issue.  

Good luck in your decision.

Edited by John Black
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The 28 cron has a high micro contrast at the focus plane, high natural vignetting, and regular bell shaped field curvature. Every image I have seen from it reminds me of my own ZM lenses. The FLE has a typical Leica rendering with high sparkle, high resolution, wavy field curvature.

And then, one day someone will give you 1000 shots of a zeiss lens and 1000 of a Leica lens mixed in with 1000 shots of a minolta lens and you will never be able to tell which is which.

Besides, saying that a leica lens has a zeiss look is simply meaning that it's all a psychological game. Those guys design lenses and the final outcome is what it is. Two leica lenses render very differently, say a 35 cron V3 and V4, and one could easily say that one is very Contaxey and the other very hasselbladey.

It simply does not make sense.

• Like 4

35mm Summilux-M for me. The rendering of that lens is stunning. So sharp with fascinating bokeh and rendering. The colour and contrast is spectacular and very hard to beat. The Summicron has been described as gentle in its rendering, and I would agree with that. I also agree that it does look, somewhat, more Zeiss in its rendering. I am also quite surprised at how much wider a 28 is, which quite often is too wide for my liking. The 35mm being more natural and relaxed. I personally would not hesitate in buying the 35mm Summilux FLE.

Edited by thestatesman
  • Like 2

... The FLE has a typical Leica rendering with high sparkle, high resolution, wavy field curvature.

What should I look for when I want to look for "sparkle"?

My eye is far less trained than those of other commenters on this thread. What I mainly notice about Leica lenses in comparison with Zeiss is more realistic - and definitely not over-realistic - textures of cloth, foliage, wood, etc.

What should I look for when I want to look for "sparkle"?

My eye is far less trained than those of other commenters on this thread. What I mainly notice about Leica lenses in comparison with Zeiss is more realistic - and definitely not over-realistic - textures of cloth, foliage, wood, etc.

Difficult to describe in words, but I would say it's a sense of clarity and sheen, like looking through a freshly cleaned window :)

Difficult to describe in words, but I would say it's a sense of clarity and sheen, like looking through a freshly cleaned window :)

Which, for instance, the Zeiss 35/1.4 has considerably more than the Summilux FLE...

I haven't used either of mine very much. I've had one trip with each. My impression is that the 28 Summicron is a good match to the 50 Summilux asph. It is sharp with plenty of light falloff when wide open. My impression of the 35 FLE is that it is a lens that sings and sparkles (no, I can't believe I've just written that either Ned) and that's a description I wouldn't apply to the 28 Summicron. As I say, my experience with each is quite limited despite owning each for a few years (tending to use 35 and 50 summicron). I took the 28 to Lisbon in a 28/50 combo and the pictures were very nice. I also took the 35 FLE and took only 2 frames one of which is the tuk tuk below. To me, that image sings compared to those with the 28 (highlights, sharpness? I dunno). I was surprised how it stuck out from the rest of the images on that trip. My previous trips have all been with a 35 Summicron, either mk4 or asph, so I'm used to seeing their images. Anyway, I thought I'm going to Bhutan and I've that very expensive lens, there's no point in having it if I never use it, so off we went. When I got the images back, again, I was struck how some seemed to sing with their clarity. I'm trying not to be too pretentious, and I'm not a real photographer, but there we are. It's an impression I have. Maybe my thoughts are too influenced by my poor B+W developing and scanning or by the particular lighting experienced when using these lenses. Who Knows. It crosses my mind that, after my 28 Summicron returned from repair I took it to the park and took a photo of the icecream van just to see if it seemed to focus ok, and one of the bowls green so I'll see if I can attach them to this post. The icecream van could be compared to the tuk tuk because they're both wide open and untouched. I'll stop now because I'm rambling.

Actually, that 28mm test film is quite good - I was trying to deterimne if the corners were all similarly sharp so I was shooting wide open and putting the subject close to the corner. There's also the bench photo which I took to see how it renders wide open compared to closed down to f4 or 5,6. I'll stick them in the next post.

Pete

28 Summicron Asph:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

35 FLE:

21854404238_5067f74663_b.jpg00120 by Pete, on Flickr

28 Summicron Asph:

18248099781_a3e2fb1db9_c.jpgScan-150527-0036 by Pete, on Flickr

17624184314_df3e8bdbe4_c.jpgScan-150527-0035 by Pete, on Flickr

18059058900_36bc229570_c.jpgScan-150527-0034 by Pete, on Flickr

35 Summilux Asph FLE:

15459190527_067a5f133a_c.jpg0614AL by Pete, on Flickr

15459006498_2a99a1a947_c.jpg0634AL by Pete, on Flickr

15621351566_31341eb1f9_c.jpg0736AL by Pete, on Flickr

15458553309_b27bf41673_c.jpg0525L by Pete, on Flickr

15646031822_6dddc6f27b_c.jpg0521L by Pete, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The 28 Summicron test film in the park

Bench stopped down f5.6 ish

Edited by Stealth3kpl
  • Like 1

Bench wide open

• Like 1