The widest worldview yet: Voigtlander 10mm VM reviewed on the Leica SL!

Vieri

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would have thought that some lateral thinking with square filters and self-adhesive velcro would be one solution to the filter issue ...... even if a rather 'Heath Robinson' and temporary.

I use the stuff for all sorts of things ..... the only problem being the velcro bit is sometimes stronger than the adhesive backing ....  :unsure:

I would have thought that some lateral thinking with square filters and self-adhesive velcro would be one solution to the filter issue ...... even if a rather 'Heath Robinson' and temporary.

I use the stuff for all sorts of things ..... the only problem being the velcro bit is sometimes stronger than the adhesive backing ....  :unsure:

thighslapper, the problem is not with fixing the adapter to the lens hood, that can be done either with the system you propose or with the Lee Push-On holder and some felt. The problem is that, even using a single slot, you'll get vignetting using 100mm filters. There is no way around it, the lens is that wide. You'll need 150mm filters for this one, and attaching them without a dedicated solution might be slightly more problematic: they are bigger and heavier than 100mm, and in case of wind they are like small sails :D I hope that someone will produce a dedicated ring to adapt the 150mm system to it, though... ;)

Best,

Vieri

The M-mount is now also available at B&H for pre-order, same price $1,099 as the Sony mount:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1274719-REG/voigtlander_ba334a_10mm_f_5_6_ultra_wide_heliar.html

Thank you Joris, that's good to know for those interested in this lens :D Hopefully it will ship soon!

Thank you, Vieri. This makes for an interesting lens.

Thank you Eoin, glad you enjoyed the article :D the 10mm certainly offers a unique view on the world!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Vieri, having read your review I bought the 10mm. It is insanely good and wide on SL. Been shooting for two days now, I can't put it away. I lives on my SL body permanently for now, I keep looking for more subjects to shoot everyday. Good fun.

Mirek, I am glad you enjoyed the review and especially that you are enjoying the 10mm! :D It's definitely a lot of fun to use!

Best,

Vieri

• 1 year later...

thighslapper, the problem is not with fixing the adapter to the lens hood, that can be done either with the system you propose or with the Lee Push-On holder and some felt. The problem is that, even using a single slot, you'll get vignetting using 100mm filters. There is no way around it, the lens is that wide. You'll need 150mm filters for this one, and attaching them without a dedicated solution might be slightly more problematic: they are bigger and heavier than 100mm, and in case of wind they are like small sails :D I hope that someone will produce a dedicated ring to adapt the 150mm system to it, though... ;)

Best,

Vieri

Hi Vieri,

thanks a lot for your informative review. I'm going to add the 10mm to my photo bag. 

BTW: I've seen a 150mm NiSi filter holder for the lens. This might be a proper solution.

• Like 1

Hi Vieri,

thanks a lot for your informative review. I'm going to add the 10mm to my photo bag.

BTW: I've seen a 150mm NiSi filter holder for the lens. This might be a proper solution.

I have that filter holder for my 10mm and it works quite well. It fits snuggly over the 10.

Edited by lpeeples
  • Like 1

Hi Vieri,

I have that filter holder for my 10mm and it works quite well. It fits snuggly over the 10.

My thinking for NOT using a 150mm is simple: I avoid the need to buy a 150mm kit like the plague, if I can ;) Too big, too cumbersome in the field, pretty expensive, not a replacement for a 100mm kit for all lenses (no good polariser solution). Therefore, I am always looking for ways to use my existing 100mm kit with every lens I buy - for the 10mm Voigt, there is an adapter made by Bombo, you can find it on Amazon US (or on Bombo's own website) and you need both the dedicated adapter ring and the filter holder (the Laser SE or Zorro, slimmer than their regular one). I have one for my 10mm and it works quite well without vignetting (unless you turn the filters too much), albeit not of exceptional manufacturing, so to speak ;)

Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri

• Like 1