Good UK Developing and scanning Labs

Stealth3kpl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, my first experience of Exposure Film Lab has been disappointing to say the least. I had a chat with the chap there prior to the films' development. Explained I don't want blown high lights and I want Portra blues; that I like Richard Photo Lab/Carmencita look. Then they returned this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Whereas even the Plustek 8100 can get this straight out of the scanner:

I can't tell you how upset I am about this. When I got the results back I started considering selling all my film equipment. Once again, returning the negatives for rescanning. Very disappointing. I'm considering buying a Frontier myself.

Pete

• Like 2

Well, my first experience of Exposure Film Lab has been disappointing to say the least. 

I can't tell you how upset I am about this. When I got the results back I started considering selling all my film equipment. Once again, returning the negatives for rescanning. Very disappointing. I'm considering buying a Frontier myself.

Pete

That is indeed a terrible result, I have been back to monochrome (and some digital) recently so have not sent them any more film since my summer batch.

Which film was it, you mention Portra?

You know, against my principles but the return cost of negs from RPL is ridiculous I am sorely tempted to send them work and scan at highest then ditch the negs, heresy.

Has no one heard from UK/Canadian Film Lab I haven't?  There is blog post from 3/10 but the"send us film" page is still implying they are setting up.

• Like 1

Has no one heard from UK/Canadian Film Lab I haven't?  .

Christian posted that they've just put a film through the machines with good results so I imagine it will be just a few days before they are up and running. Perhaps it's worth the risk posting to Canada.

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl
  • Like 1

I suppose it does show it's not all about the Frontier, the operator does matter.

And I think some form of post processing of the returned scan should be expected from a discerning photographer, after all the person who scanned them has no way of knowing what the photographer was seeing. The difference between a cheap scan and an expensive scan is that in the later the operator uses a degree more common sense.

For those still agonising the current issue of Black + White Photography (the one with Patti Smith on the cover holding a Polaroid Land camera) has a consumer test of a number of UK labs rating them on the pros and cons.

• Like 3

For those still agonising the current issue of Black + White Photography (the one with Patti Smith on the cover holding a Polaroid Land camera) has a consumer test of a number of UK labs rating them on the pros and cons.

I saw that, though I've not read through it. I was surprised at what seemed very good value dev and scan from Ilford Labs.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

For UK based shooters, and the clue is in the thread title, this is a cut from the web, and hopefully a return neg service will run in reverse:-

Clients who worked with us as UK Film Lab, prior to our move to Canada, may also use our ‘film forwarding’ service. We have trusted team members still based at our old UK HQ. They will receive your film, package it securely and send it on to us as part of a weekly shipment (every Thursday) via our DHL express service at no extra cost to you. This is likely to be a more cost-effective option for smaller orders. If demand for this service proves popular then we will be increasing the frequency of the onward shipments, and due to the ultra fast transit time of 2 – 3 days from the UK on to Canada, shipping time will be fast! Please send your film along with an order form to our old UK Film Lab address (please emailHELLO@CANADIANFILMLAB.COM if you need a reminder!)

Edited by chris_livsey

Just a foot note: I won't be spending any more time or money with Exposure Film Lab having seen their second attempt.

This could be the end of colour film use by me. I'm getting so much enjoyment from my M-P and Q I think I'll just shoot and home process B+W.

:-(

Pete

Whilst understanding that EFL is no longer an option for you, is that really a reason to give up on shooting colour, Pete? Are there no other developing / scanning alternatives? Can you send your negatives that you had scanned to someone else to re-scan for comparison?

Just a foot note: I won't be spending any more time or money with Exposure Film Lab having seen their second attempt.

This could be the end of colour film use by me. I'm getting so much enjoyment from my M-P and Q I think I'll just shoot and home process B+W.

:-(

Pete

Don't you have a scanner?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk