Sekonic L-398A Sensor Question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wondered if any forum members own a Sekonic L-398A and could answer a quick question about the sensor? I recently purchased one because I was looking for a more compact meter that can operate without batteries. Was just changing the lumisphere and noticed the sensor on my meter has a sort of swirling pattern on its surface. Photo attached.

Is that normal or is there something off with mine? If it is normal, out of curiosity, does anyone know the cause? 

Many thanks, all!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Always good to have something new to worry about  ;)

Mine has the "tab"visible as above, actually two, RHS with a "notch" and smaller LHS.

I have one patch of swirl which appears as Newton's rings around a clear darker centre.

If you gently touch the surface, I used a lens cloth, you can provoke more rings and the surface has give which springs back when released. I suspect a thin filter over the cell which gives the rings where in contact so will vary across examples, and may have none. Thanks for making me look, it was quite dusty in there.

Your lighting is better than I could manage on a quick i-phone attempt but it looks like the patch and rings show nicely, be re-assured.

28675503830_1eff74f4f3_z.jpg

Just a user tip, take care with the iso setting ring, mine moves "accidentally" almost spontaneously and leads to confusion at best, it does have click stop detents but not strong enough for me. Great meter otherwise.

Edited by chris_livsey
  • Like 3

Yes

Hey Michael,

The first line above zero is just to the left of the 5 foot candle mark. At ISO 100 and a 1.4, that translates to a shutter speed of just a hair slower than 1/8th of a second by my reckoning.

Thanks to everyone else who's replied here!

Yes, there is a fine line just to the left of the 5 foot candle mark, and setting the marker to the left side of the "5" block on the computer results in slightly under 1/8s (faster than 1/7s).

28349198054_9faf8eb44f_b.jpgAAC by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

28863425892_d2d0cae164_b.jpgAAB by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

I really like this meter. The only issue I had with it was the bayonet fitting for the dome being loose, allowing the dome to fall off. I made a shim for it, and all is good.

Edited by EoinC
  • Like 1

As I look at these photos and compare to my meter, I realize what I have is the L-398, not L-398A. I wonder what the differences are, as it seems to be identical in most respects. 

It's a superb meter, accepting the limitations of its metering range. 

L-398, not L-398A. I wonder what the differences are, as it seems to be identical in most respects. 

"Released in 2006. This model is almost identical to the out going model but uses a newly designed Amorphous photo cell instead of Selenium. The Sekonic logotype has moved. It is now on the left side. For the first time the model type (L-398A) is also printed on the face on the right side."

:) Not a lot 

Leads me to wonder of the no swirl owners have the older cell model?

Edited by chris_livsey
  • Like 1

"Released in 2006. This model is almost identical to the out going model but uses a newly designed Amorphous photo cell instead of Selenium. The Sekonic logotype has moved. It is now on the left side. For the first time the model type (L-398A) is also printed on the face on the right side."

:) Not a lot 

Leads me to wonder of the no swirl owners have the older cell model?

Mine is an "A", and it is sans swirl. It is, however, very much avec dust.

• Like 1

Hello Everybody,

As a comparison:

At ISO 100/21 the following meters have an ambient light sensitivity of:

MR meter: EV +2 to EV +18

Metrastar (Handheld): EV -4 to EV +17

Yes, that is "-4".

Keeping in mind that an EV of +/-0 is an exposure setting of an aperture of F1 at 1 second.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

As a comparison:

At ISO 100/21 the following meters have an ambient light sensitivity of:

MR meter: EV +2 to EV +18

Metrastar (Handheld): EV -4 to EV +17

Yes, that is "-4".

Keeping in mind that an EV of +/-0 is an exposure setting of an aperture of F1 at 1 second.

These are the classic gains in sensitivity provided by going to a CdS (or other) powered sensor vs a selenium (or other) non-powered sensor. 

• Like 1

Hello Rramarren,

Yes, both have Cds cells originally powered with PX13 or PX625 Mercury cells. The MR is currently powered by an S357 Silver Oxide cell held in place by a swirled stainless steel split ring* & the DIN set to +1.5

Readings match my neighbors Minolta Flashmeter IV with no problem.

The Metrastar is currently in need of a part that does not seem to be available.

Best Regards,

Michael

* I don't have the dimensions with me at this moment but I will return to this Thread with the appropriate data as to how to use a S357 in an MR meter without having it recalibrated internally.

• Like 1

Hello Again Rramarren,

The continued existence of a self powered meter which does not require batteries is a good thing & the Seconic L398A is certainly a good choice.

Altho I prefer the layout of a Weston Master III dial since I would use the meter for both incident & reflected readings & I don't need some of what makes the dial of the L398A so "busy".

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

Hello Chris,

It is too bad that Quantum Industries decided to leave the photographic field as far as meters are concerned*.  Altho they still make pretty much that same meter is different configurations for different purposes in other Industries.

Calcu-Light meters were generally underappreciated from the time they were introduced. Altho they made some of the best & sturdiest meters to be found.

Don't forget that 1 of the weakest links in the chain of photograpic equipment, in the past & today, has been the relative fragility of light meters.

Best Regards,

Michael

* They still make flash equipment for photography.

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 2