Leica brand UV filter compared to multi-coated Hoya, B+W, etc.

Stonewall Brigade

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Marumi is a filter maker. The top end is good stuff.

Yes very good stuff. I have a few now because they seem to have the odd sizes available more often, but the top end ones are a well made and shed dirt and clean nearly as well as B&W MRC.

Steve

90% at least of the b+w filters on eBay are counterfeit.

I don`t know where this figure comes from, but I would expect it is an overestimate. Some of the largest B + W dealers on eBay like hkdirect (the largest?) have been around for a very long time and have tens of thousands of positive feedback, and I believe they are also listed as an official dealer.

A more fundamental question is why eBay is not more vigilant here. Providing a marketplace for counterfeit goods undermines the producers.

I don`t know where this figure comes from, but I would expect it is an overestimate. Some of the largest B + W dealers on eBay like hkdirect (the largest?) have been around for a very long time and have tens of thousands of positive feedback, and I believe they are also listed as an official dealer.

A more fundamental question is why eBay is not more vigilant here. Providing a marketplace for counterfeit goods undermines the producers.

I have bought along the years many filters from hkdirect and they were all fake. I realized that when I bought the original ones from the local official distributor. There is a reason why they are more than double the price of eBay ones.

By the way, I even emailed the manufacturer asking them if hkdirect filters are genuine. They avoided giving me a straight answer but recommended I buy my filters from official distributors.

Edited by edwardkaraa

And your statistics come from where?

As far as I can see the only way to know such a 'fact' is that you either buy 100% of the B&W filters on Ebay so can inspect them all, or your are the person flooding the market with fakes. ;)

Wow, what a smart post. Edited by edwardkaraa

"90% at least of the b+w filters on eBay are counterfeit" is a bold claim and it is not unreasonable to ask for verification of the source. I'm not sure asking if Steve has experienced trauma earlier in his life advances the discussion much.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have bought along the years many filters from hkdirect and they were all fake. I realized that when I bought the original ones from the local official distributor. There is a reason why they are more than double the price of eBay ones.

By the way, I even emailed the manufacturer asking them if hkdirect filters are genuine. They avoided giving me a straight answer but recommended I buy my filters from official distributors.

How can you know for sure that the filters are counterfeit? I would expect that the manufacturer would have given you a straight answer if they indeed were selling fake goods. HKdirect are also selling Schneider lenses - which they presumably source from Schneider. I noted they have close to 40 000 posititive feedbacks and of the around 10 negative/neutral over the last year, and none document counterfeit items.

I don`t know the correct answer of course, but I just find it odd that either Schneider or others would not have contacted eBay and closed down their business since we are talking about thousands and thousands of filters here, which obviously would hurt other suppliers.

I noted that the eBay account for some of the sellers of the fake Zeiss filters sometimes is closed (for what reason I don`t know), but they are back within a fes hours with a new account.

I asked Zeiss and they replied that they were not aware of counterfeit filters being sold outside China. It was furthermore stated that it is very difficult to spot fake items and they would need a lab test to be sure.

Edited by Ivar B

"90% at least of the b+w filters on eBay are counterfeit" is a bold claim and it is not unreasonable to ask for verification of the source. I'm not sure asking if Steve has experienced trauma earlier in his life advances the discussion much.

Obviously this is an estimation based on my own experience. I don't run a statistics company or similar, and I thought this is understood. Many members here are too eager to belittle or patronize others and they will get a reply from me every time, no exceptions. I have no patience for bullies.

How can you know for sure that the filters are counterfeit? I would expect that the manufacturer would have given you a straight answer if they indeed were selling fake goods. HKdirect are also selling Schneider lenses - which they presumably source from Schneider. I noted they have close to 40 000 posititive feedbacks and of the around 10 negative/neutral over the last year, and none document counterfeit items.

I don`t know the correct answer of course, but I just find it odd that either Schneider or others would not have contacted eBay and closed down their business since we are talking about thousands and thousands of filters here, which obviously would hurt other suppliers.

I noted that the eBay account for some of the sellers of the fake Zeiss filters sometimes is closed (for what reason I don`t know), but they are back within a fes hours with a new account.

I asked Zeiss and they replied that they were not aware of counterfeit filters being sold outside China. It was furthermore stated that it is very difficult to spot fake items and they would need a lab test to be sure.

I'm not sure about Zeiss filters because I used to order them directly from Zeiss. B+W filters are very easy to spot by looking at the coatings, the fake items have thick unevenly applied coatings with sometimes a round patch without coatings in the center. The filter rings are quite similar though.

I'm not sure about Zeiss filters because I used to order them directly from Zeiss. B+W filters are very easy to spot by looking at the coatings, the fake items have thick unevenly applied coatings with sometimes a round patch without coatings in the center. The filter rings are quite similar though.

The B + W filters I have bought from HKdirect have had perfect coating as far as I can tell. Also the coating on the Zeiss filters appears to be very effective. I don`t know how complex it is technically to apply effective coating,

Edited by Ivar B

It's amazing how a nice "chat" about filters becomes so heated... B&W are always my first choice, purchased through B&H or another Leica dealer.. I appreciate there are some better deals on EBay or Amazon.. But that's me...

Just for fun, I checked the price of a B + W MRC UV 77mm from HKDirect and B & H. Both charge 45$, but HKDirect offer free shipping, but shipping from China costs virtually nothing.

Just for fun, I checked the price of a B + W MRC UV 77mm from HKDirect and B & H. Both charge 45$, but HKDirect offer free shipping, but shipping from China costs virtually nothing.

You're right. They seem to have increased their pricing up to B&H level. I remember I bought my filters for half the price over a year ago.

I have the MRC's on all my other Leicas, I will have s look, TX

The xs pro have a thinner ring that vignettes less, and the nano coatings are water repellent and easier to clean. I feel the anti reflection coatings are more efficient than the previous ones but that could be wishful thinking :D

The xs pro have a thinner ring that vignettes less, and the nano coatings are water repellent and easier to clean. I feel the anti reflection coatings are more efficient than the previous ones but that could be wishful thinking :D

As previously said, I've used MRC UV for so long (even on my Nikons) I'm sorta preprogrammed towards them.. I will try a Nano on the Elmarit..Being a thinner ring do they stay tight & are they easy to remove?

As previously said, I've used MRC UV for so long (even on my Nikons) I'm sorta preprogrammed towards them.. I will try a Nano on the Elmarit..Being a thinner ring do they stay tight & are they easy to remove?

I didn't notice any difference with the previous MRC in this regard.