50mm 1.4

ora8

The 1.5/50 C-Sonnar is a lovely lens: 'soft and dreamy' wide open, and very sharp shut down so it is almost two lenses in one.

However it has significant focus shift. For a small price you can send it to Zeiss( fast and efficient turnaround unlike Leica) to optimise focus for f1.5 if you primarily want to shoot it wide open but it will then focus shift when closed down, or vis-a-versa.  You can learn your way around this or focus bracket but it can be quite annoying at times. 

In the end I sold mine because for me the 1.4/50 Summilux is just a better and more versatile lens (but significantly more expensive).

The 1.5/50 C-Sonnar is a lovely lens: 'soft and dreamy' wide open, and very sharp shut down so it is almost two lenses in one.

However it has significant focus shift. For a small price you can send it to Zeiss( fast and efficient turnaround unlike Leica) to optimise focus for f1.5 if you primarily want to shoot it wide open but it will then focus shift when closed down, or vis-a-versa.  You can learn your way around this or focus bracket but it can be quite annoying at times. 

In the end I sold mine because for me the 1.4/50 Summilux is just a better and more versatile lens (but significantly more expensive).

The other thing to consider is are you after f1.4 for low-light performance or reduced DOF images. Personally, I'm no great fan of razor-thin DOF portraits where the cornea is in focus but the tip of the nose and ears are already blurred. That's even assuming the intended focus point was achieved.  F2.0 really is fine for most things. I love my Summiluxes but sometimes the extra stop just isn't worth the tradeoff in size and weight, getting the focus point perfect when moving quickly, or the cost.

Should you go for another focal length?.....Honestly that's up to you and the pictures you want to make ...50, 75  90mm they are different points of view all are great as people portrait lenses....etc.

I use a 50 Summicron and love it......I'm not a fan of 1.4 too shallow, too heavy and too expensive...but that's me.

If you have a 50 Summicron now get a different focal length?....It will make different pictures....It will make you make different pictures.

Don't be too hung up on best ...they are all great ......your just splitting hairs.
And defiantly search the Internet and this forum ...Your question has been answered and answered.  Everybody has their own opinion ......gather the facts and pull the trigger........you can't go wrong with most Leica, Zeiss and CV.......once you have scoured the Internet the correct answerer for you will jump out at you.

Hope this helps........

Why don't you like the 50 Summicron for people? It fits all you original criteria....sharp, has good contrast and beatiful bokeh. .

Edited by ECohen

On the M246 I use mainly 35 and 28.

But on the SL I prefer the Summicron-R 50. Sean Reid also tested it and found it very convincing. It is almost identical to the Summicron-M 50. (Which is now underrated since the arrival of the Apo50). But it is not famous for bokeh.

As is well known the nicest bokeh (50 king of bokeh) has the Summilux-M 50 Asph. . 

The question is do you want a lens for daily use, that does not hurt too much if it is damaged or stolen ? Or a special lens (like the Summilux 35 AA) that is rare and valuable and needs attention/protection.

"The Best" is always personal - there is no absolutely best for everybody.  (Maybe the coming SL 1.4/50, if Leicas announcements are true     ;) ).

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

Guest satrycon

it was meant to be a sarcastic answer..perhaps you should consider the humorous options first [ keeping the hilarious OP question in mind ] before ranting about things being "ridiculous" ?

This table is the worst answer anybody could give to the initial question. A lot of numbers without "physical units" or telling the amount of error to be expected from the initial measurements. This is completely against the rules of science. It is actually also quite ridiculous.

No knowledge what it physically means, but readers know which is the biggest number (how ingenious).

And just imagine to know what it means in the final image ?    :)

Exactly because I have this background (mathematics/physics) I hate to see this, and how it is swallowed without asking what the real meaning of these numbers is.

It is a form of modern superstition. (unclean methods resulting in wonderful clean results of absolute precision).

P.S: Now I see the name of the poster, so have I completely misunderstood it ? And it is actually a satire ?   :unsure:

... As is well known the nicest bokeh (50 king of bokeh) has the Summilux-M 50 Asph. ...

Bearing in mind that the quality of bokeh is subjective, I had the E46 50/1.4 Summilux-M asph for 10 years and I've had the E43 50/1.4 Summilux-M asph for about two years so far.  They're both superb lenses in their own right but if I particularly want smooth out-of-focus areas I will always reach for either my Zeiss 50/1.5 C-Sonnar, or Carl Zeiss Jena 50/1.5 Sonnar depending on whether the subject deserves a modern rendering or a retro-style look.

Pete.

Yes bokeh is a subjective thing but i find 50/1.4 asph a bit harsh around f/2.8 there. 50/1.4 pre-aph's bokeh is smoother but the lens is softer at f/1.4. Same for ZM 50/1.5 more or less besides its focus shift issue. There is no free lunch as usual. If your models have not a perfect skin i would forget the Summilux asph and prefer the Sonnar if you use an EVF (no focus shift then) or the Summilux pre-asph if you use a rangefinder. 

• Like 2