Elmar 2,8/50mm

kengai

:rolleyes:

Yes, one has never enough Leica lenses.

Next would be Summilux then Noctilux one in black and one silver :p

regards,

Arnaud

(I do use some different 50mm and 5cm also, Leica or not : Noctilux, Summilux, Summicron, Elmar, Summar, Anastigmat, so on...)

Edited by a.noctilux

If you do not have a collapsible lens yet, it would be the most pocketable solution.

Even if you have the old 50cron collapsible, the Elmar has a different character.

The Elmar F3.5 50mm is even more compact and is sharper than the F2.8 version. Just buy a post war version to get coating for color.

Sure it makes sense. The Elmar (i mean the last one) has a special IQ that no Summicron i know of exhibits including the 50/2 apo. Matter of tastes but if you like that look your Elmar will tend to stick on your camera the same way as it does on both my M240 and Sony A7s mod. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can the 50 / 2.8 be retracted fully when using M240 and SL ? I have the lens but never dared to retracted into the body . I have been using it only in the extended way .

Recurrent question. You will find several answers if you use the search function. In one word, most users consider it can be retracted. As far as i'm aware, none of them has ever tried to trigger the shutter in that position.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

I've been looking for a very late six bit 50/2.8 Elmar-M for months. Hopefully I can find one while I'm still young enough to enjoy it!

Hard to find. It would take you less time to enjoy an earlier copy and have it coded by a good workshop, unless you're a collector of course B).

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

I was fortunate enough to find  a late Elmar-M 1:2.8/50 coded in excellent condition. I now prefer it to my Summilux 50mm Asp unless for low light use. Collapsed it is very compact and, I think looks rather gorgeous. This may be due to nostalgia as my first Leica was an M2 with collapsible Elmar 50.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ayewing
  • Like 1

Hmm...

On my mission to reduce my lens count I have my coded copy for sale, I think they are great value and agree on the rendering, it has a bite to it somehow more texture than say the summicron. It's also super small, super light and super quick to focus. However 1/500th works for relaxing but not enough for racing. Both at f4.0

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Recurrent question. You will find several answers if you use the search function. In one word, most users consider it can be retracted. As far as i'm aware, none of them has ever tried to trigger the shutter in that position.

I have, accidentally, a number of times. Not a problem at all. If it cannot hit the shutter  on film, it cannot hit the shutter on a sensor as the register distance is (must be!) the same.

I have, accidentally, a number of times. Not a problem at all. If it cannot hit the shutter  on film, it cannot hit the shutter on a sensor as the register distance is (must be!) the same.

Good to know but register is the distance from the rear of the lens to the sensor, not the shutter of course which is a moving part above the latter. Are you sure your lens was focussed an infinity when you triggered the shutter whilst it was retracted? Just curious as i'm not brave enough to try that personally.

Edited by lct

I have one, use it occaisionally, it is a great little lens.  When I got the APO summicron 50 ASPH I said to myself I'd sell my old V4 summicron and the 50 elmar, haven't gotten around to that yet....probably wont!

Hmm...

On my mission to reduce my lens count I have my coded copy for sale, I think they are great value and agree on the rendering, it has a bite to it somehow more texture than say the summicron. It's also super small, super light and super quick to focus. However 1/500th works for relaxing but not enough for racing. Both at f4.0

Check your messages, please...

I've been looking for a very late six bit 50/2.8 Elmar-M for months. Hopefully I can find one while I'm still young enough to enjoy it!

I think,stress think as I don't know for sure, that there are probably few factory coded copies as the lens went out of production in 2007 and the M8 was introduced in 2006, so they only overlap a year. My uncoded version works fine, and you can easily input the lens manually. You will have more options going for a  uncoded version. More important for me was to get a chrome copy, as according to Puts they are much better built.

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 1

[...] More important for me was to get a chrome copy, as according to Puts they are much better built.

Don't recall what Puts said exactly but i've got three copies of the last 50/2.8, one silver (with the M6J) and two black chrome with silver barrel. All uncoded and superbly built. 

Edited by lct

Hi

I have both in silver. And I will definitely continue to have both ;-).

I fully agree with IWC that that little thing has some ¨bite¨ that the Cron don' t. And collapsed it is SMALL... even smaller that 35 cron V4 and elmarit 28 asph. One thing, though... mine rattles! I sent it to Leica and it was rattle free for a few months but rattling is now back (I bought it new early 2000 and it is not very much used). And I even have this feeling that the ¨heavy¨ brass makes the rattling even more profound... A bit annoying, but what the heck... still like it very much.

Collapsing on M9 never a problem... as others also thoroughly confirm.