Elmar 2,8/50mm

kengai

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When my copy was serviced by Malcolm Taylor he said that Leica's design for the mount wasn't the best and the best way to keep it 'tight' was to take as much slack up as possible and then use much thicker grease in that are. My copy came back with no slack and very smooth focus, it's a bit slacker than it was now but still much better than every other one I have tried !

• Like 1

Just wondering....amongst this run of the Elmar M (black 11831/silver 11823), are their any optical differences between the earlier and the later 6-bit coded ones? Or between the chromed brass and black, aside from the weight? Given its tiny size, any handling advantages of the chromed brass over aluminium?

No optical difference that i'm aware of since 1994. Some black copies had black barrels as well (pic) but silver and black regular copies have both brass helicoids AFAIK. Only significant difference is focus knob of the M6J version from 1994.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

No optical difference that i'm aware of since 1994. Some black copies had black barrels as well (pic) but silver and black regular copies have both brass helicoids AFAIK. Only significant difference is focus knob of the M6J version from 1994.

attachicon.gifLeicaM_5028allbk01.JPG

Whoa, I didn't know there were black-barrelled versions.  Very nice!  Must keep a lookout for one of those.  :D

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sure it makes sense. The Elmar (i mean the last one) has a special IQ that no Summicron i know of exhibits including the 50/2 apo. Matter of tastes but if you like that look your Elmar will tend to stick on your camera the same way as it does on both my M240 and Sony A7s mod. 

Yes put it on the camera and leave it there.

... The Elmar (i mean the last one) has a special IQ that no Summicron i know of exhibits including the 50/2 apo. Matter of tastes but if you like that look your Elmar will tend to stick on your camera the same way as it does on both my M240 and Sony A7s mod. 

How would you describe the special IQ of the Elmar-M?
More details? A more harsh bouquet?
When traveling I like to take with the equally small and handy collapsible Summicron 2.0-50mm to use a reserve of an aperture when required at dawn or when visiting dark churches and museums.

When traveling I like to take with the equally small and handy collapsible Summicron 2.0-50mm to use a reserve of an aperture when required at dawn or when visiting dark churches and museums.

Difficult to describe the Elmar or Tessar look. I've always preferred Tessar over Planar lenses with Rollei and Zeiss bodies and i retrieve he same feeling with the Nikkor 45/2.8. Compared to your 50/2 collapsible, the last Elmar is more contrasty hence giving the feeling or more sharpness and saturation but with a smooth bokeh.

Difficult to describe the Elmar or Tessar look. I've always preferred Tessar over Planar lenses with Rollei and Zeiss bodies and i retrieve he same feeling with the Nikkor 45/2.8. Compared to your 50/2 collapsible, the last Elmar is more contrasty hence giving the feeling or more sharpness and saturation but with a smooth bokeh.

Wondering about that myself. I once had a Nikkor 45/2.8. Needed to be stopped down to f/5.6 for adequate sharpness across the frame and I still can't say that I was all that enthralled by it. The tiny size was really cool, though. 

Edited by james.liam

Better choose a Planar or Summicron design (a Summarit 50/2.5 for inst.) if sharper corners below f/5.6 is what you are after. Now i find the Nikkor 45/2.8 a pretty good lens even at full aperture personally. And it has the famous Tessar/Elmar look i prefer. YMMV.

Edited by lct

Last 50/2.8 bokeh:

I have a 1950 that likes like it was never used.  Beautiful round diaphragm.

Then a silver and black new version.   Little different character, but nice.  Pointy diaphragm.   Someday I will compare bokeh.

A 1950 would have been a 3.5 Elmar, as the 2.8 was introduced in 1957 with the IIIg. Perhaps you mean 1960?

James - I ended up selling it for a couple of reasons....I already had a number of 50mm lenses, but mostly because I expected that the collapse would give me a more pocketable camera; what I found out was that (my example) the lens wouldn't stay collapsed, and often, unexpectedly, I would come near to hitting the forward edge on a surface when I was setting it down, thinking it was collapsed. Very disappointing. However, that certainly didn't diminish its superb picture taking characteristics.

• Like 1

I had two of the late-model Elmars, a silver and later a black.  Optically fine, but mechanically they kept getting wobbly.  At first I thought the weight of the brass in the silver lens was exacerbating it, which is why I sold it on a black one, but that one kept getting wobbly too.  What I also found was that with the dinky little shade attached over a filter, when it was collapsed it was almost the same length as my tabbed 11819 Summicron...which was a stop faster and didn't wobble. 

Not necessary with the Monochrome though and btw I like it most on the Monochrome Edited by otto.f

A shot from last weekend with Elmar-M on M(240)