What will be you next M lense

Infantasy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

50 Summicron. Barely more expensive than a Summarit and a classic design. It pairs wonderfully with a 35 for a 2 lens combination. This was my kit for a recent overseas trip to Japan and it was lacking for nothing. Acts as a short Tele while giving flexibility for any setting.

J

• Like 2

I dream everyday about the 21SEM. Would be the perfect companion to the rest of my beloved toys ( 90 APO, 50APO, 35 Summilux FLE). Next step is to get approval from SWMBO. Hard job!

• Like 1

Sorry for my poor English.

I shoot both landscape and portrait (for my 10 yrs-old daughter only). It is a hard choice between 50 and 90mm lenses and I wish to own both if no money concerns.

If go for 50, which version of summicron would be a good choice in terms of cost/image quality.

Thanks all.

Why limit yourself. Buy an old Tele-Elmarit 90 mm F2.8 and you still have budget for a nice old Summicron 50.

Even V1 is good, but hard to find in good condition,

V2 is better and my favourite for the classic look.

V4/V5 are the best optically (apart from APO version), but more expensive than V1 and V2.

V3 is a good compromise for a tight budget, if you do not like the classic V1 or V2 rendering and want a more modern look.

Why limit yourself. Buy an old Tele-Elmarit 90 mm F2.8 and you still have budget for a nice old Summicron 50.

Even V1 is good, but hard to find in good condition,

V2 is better and my favourite for the classic look.

V4/V5 are the best optically (apart from APO version), but more expensive than V1 and V2.

V3 is a good compromise for a tight budget, if you do not like the classic V1 or V2 rendering and want a more modern look.

Do you mean V2 Summicron f/2 rigid?

Hi, I recently bought a M9 and a pre-A 35/f1.4. I propose to buy one more lense either standard or tele but preferably in f2.

Any suggestion from you guy?

Thanks.

As he may be on a budget - the Summarit 75 2.4 or 2.5 used gives a different angle to the 35, not too difficult to focus, superb in image quality, easy to obtain 2nd hand, very compact and very flare resistant.

Ivo

Three lenses to choose one from:

50mm Summarit F2.4  or older F2.5  Seen as a poor version of the Summicron but is a superb lens and in my experience actually slightly better wide open than the 50mm Summicron.

50mm F2.8 Elmar M    Superb lens and very compact

50mm  F2 Summicron - another superb lens.

Any 50mm lens though will perform brilliantly and are far better than 99% of photographers ability to use them.

Don't though fall into the trap of thinking that lens speed or newness equates to optical excellence - I often quote that an old dog of a 50mm F3.5 Elmar M mount that I bought for £80 on an equally old M2 used wide open at F3.5 gave me the best photograph that I have ever taken with any camera film or digital.

That old Elmar performance is a sobering thought and certainly brought me back down to earth.

You're quite right Paul, but you're talking about photography now. Please try to stay on topic.