Super Angulon 21mm 3.4 on LTM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I am new Leica IIIf user.

Is it possible to use Super Angulon 21/3.4 on LTM body?

Leica Wiki shows some units are compatible but one of my friend told me SA21/3.4 is only for M mount.

Please enlighten me.

Best 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

To my knowledge the Super Angulon 21/4.0 was available in LTM as well as it was introduced in the late fifties.

Today it might be a difficult and expensive lens to find.

In the mid-sixties the lens was re-computed as Super Angulon 21/3.4, but then no longer LTM support was given.

Super Angulon 21 f 3,4 was never listed with LTM Mount, and I have never seen one like this (the Wiki page about is imho misleading).

The Super Angulon 21 f4, on the contrary, is always in LTM... even the BM version has, indeed, a built-in adapter which can be dismounted (not so easily... there is a very tiny screw that blocks the adapter).

To be precise, the Super Angulon 21 f3,4 made for Leica Reflex Mount (an uncommon and someway odd lens) can surely be mounted onto a LTM body with some 3rd party adapter (I don't know if someone makes a R-to-LTM adapter as a single device... the obvious easy combination that comes to my mind is R-to-42x1 plus M42x1 to LTM, stacked... no RF coupling of course, which isn't a big issue).

• Like 2

To be precise, the Super Angulon 21 f3,4 made for Leica Reflex Mount (an uncommon and someway odd lens) can surely be mounted onto a LTM body with some 3rd party adapter (I don't know if someone makes a R-to-LTM adapter as a single device... the obvious easy combination that comes to my mind is R-to-42x1 plus M42x1 to LTM, stacked... no RF coupling of course, which isn't a big issue).

Luigi 

I think this lens will touch the curtains despite the adapters:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why should it? The adapters will bring it to the correct distance from the film plane to project a sharp image. If it didn't touch the shutter in its original configuration, it cannot do so in its adapted condition either, unless the shutter-to-film distance differs dramatically, which is unlikely..

Luigi 

I think this lens will touch the curtains despite the adapters:

I used one on an M8 with the original R to M (the old type cine one) adapter with no problem. If I remember correctly it will focus down to about 8" (just looked at your photo - it does!) and is remarkably distortion free as it is more of a symmetrical design than most wides. If I get chance I will probably eventually re-buy one (I have the new R to M adapter now) and use it as a 'stacking lens' due to its close focus IQ characteristics

The lens above is sitting on the Leicaflex camera far from me to try in this moment

Hello Everybody,

I think that Luigi's Post #5 above has a typographical error in it:

"R-to-42X1 plus 42X1 to LTM stacked"

Should read:

"R to 42 X 0.75 plus 42 X 0.75 to LTM stacked"

Because:

42 X 1 is: Practica/Pentax lens mount

While

42 X 0.75 is: T2 (Not Leica's T2) Universal Standard Interconnect Thread.

Also: Please keep in mind that the 21mm, F3.4 Super Angulon for the Reflex Cameras can only be used on the first of the Leicaflexes and only with the mirror ALWAYS locked up*. Later Leicaflexes did not have a mirror lockup & therefore a person could NOT use the 21mm, F3.4 Reflex lenses on them.

This was 1 of the reasons that the 21mm, F3.4 SuperAngulon for reflex cameras was replaced with the 21mm, F4 Super Angulon for reflex cameras. The 21mm, F4 Super Angulon is a retro-focus design that allows thru the lens viewing with the mirror down & fully functioning.

Best Regards,

Michael

* Please see Jean Claude's photo in his Post #9: A Leicaflex Standard with a 21m, F3.4 Super Angulon with the mirror lock on the Standard set to the mirror locked up position (down).

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

Hello Pico,

The 21mm, F3.4 Super Angulon for the range/viewfinder cameras came with a cut out notch on the lens moun, starting when the M5 was released, which was at a spot so that the actuator that raised the metering arm would not be engaged. Earlier versions of this lens could be sent to Leitz for conversion to this type of mount.

There were a number of earlier versions of some other lenses, such as the 28mm, F2.8 Elmarit for the range/viewfinder cameras, that also needed this cut out notch added to keep the meter arm from raising & damaging itself & the lens. If the cut out was not there both the lens & the arm would try to share the same spot in the space in front of the shutter simultaneously.

How far out from the film plane the shutters in the digital "M"'s & SL's are compared to their film "M" counterparts, I do not know.

Perhaps someone out there who has 1 of each can measure both & let everybody know.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht