Leica M Monochrom - Sensor Corrosion and Bad Service

dkmoore

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unfortunately I have yet another negative experience with Leica NJ service. I sent my MM1 in for inspection to Leica NJ in early May (5th) 2016. My son was due on June 1 and they said they would clean and return my camera quickly in hopes that I would have it for his birth. They promised this quick turn around because I had been contacting them for 3 weeks and no-one returned emails or phone calls and I am very persistent. 

The camera was returned to me well after our son was born, oh well. That being said, the manager Bill Weier, called me to apologize and let me know that the sensor was cleaned and the rangefinder was adjusted and that I did not have the sensor corrosion issue. Perfect.

Fast forward to today and I decided to trade in the MM1 for another Leica camera to Leica Store Miami. These folks are excellent. Upon inspection, Leica Store Miami verified that my sensor does in fact have corrosion. Please do not try to tell me that the sensor developed corrosion in the 40 days I had it back from Leica. I live in Massachusetts in a brand new house, etc. 

The point of this long story is that I am asking if anyone has Leica corporate customer service contacts that I can use to email or call.

I would like to share my story with them and ask for their help pushing Leica NJ to resolve this issue. Contacting Leica NJ is very frustrating and it is like pulling teeth to get help.

Thank you in advance and sorry for the lengthy post.

Sincerely,

Dustin 

I've had 3 CCD Leicas in for sensor replacement. The last one, my Monochrom, just went in two weeks ago. The corrosion was just starting and I would not have noticed had I not seen two bad cases before. I sent a print with the spots circled along with the camera. The spots are hard to see on the sensor but there when examined in a good light. I got a confirming email from Leica Service in NJ telling me that they would replace the sensor.  Now I just have to wait. My M9 took 4 months and my S2 took 6 months. I think, or at least have heard, Monochroms take the longest to have the sensor replaced. Unfortunately with this CCD family, you need to have a back-up body. And patience.

Edited by Printmaker
  • Like 1

I agree that you must have patience to own Leica products if you live in the US. I have other Leica cameras, but that is besides the point.

If Leica wants Millennials like me to buy into their systems in the US, they will need to improve their customer service ASAP.

My post is looking for a solid contact, email or phone, to someone above Bill that will better respond to my needs. At this point it is costing me time and frustration.

Hopefully someone can provide a helping hand.

Thanks!

I talked to Leica NJ today and I must say that they completely reversed how I feel about their service issues. They were extremely apologetic about the situation and are jumping through hoops to help me in a very quick time frame.

I am glad I was positive in my correspondences with them as they may not have been so willing to help had I gone in hot-headed.

Hopefully they keep their word but I have no reason to doubt them from my conversations today. Big applause and thanks to Leica NJ. In case anyone is interested I will respond again upon the conclusion of this.

Unfortunately I did not receive much help from the forum so maybe I came off wrong  :  (

Figured I would share the great news!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@dkmoore,

It is great to hear that Leica NJ made things right with your Monochrom; here's hoping you will have it back promptly. 

I have had a couple of dealings with Leica NJ service over the past thirteen years of M camera ownership and have been very pleased with both of my repair scenarios.  It seems that Leica NJ service has consistency issues; many have good experiences with them but some unlucky folk do not.  It seems to be somewhat of a crap shoot.  I agree with you that they need to tighten up their repair operations, though.  To their credit, it does seem that they are trying...

Edited by Carlos Danger