Leica SL to Hasselblad V adapter announced

Bobitybob

I don't understand the purpose of the optical block in the adapter. IMHO the V lenses are good as they are.

They are intended to retain the same field of view as the original lens had so will apparently have a reducing optic in them. Not so sure about how good an idea this is as it will affect optical quality so needs to be very good to not impinge on final IQ but its an interesting idea I suppose.

• Like 2

The optics mean two things: First to have the "original" angle of view and second to have an additional aperture stop (twice as much light).

This sounds very nice, but usually comes at a price (not money), and the price to pay is inferior IQ.

There is a whole collection of similar adapters for FF lenses to APS-C cameras. And they are regarded as poor adapters (toy like). They offer very slow AF and quite bad IQ (ok. with some lenses, really bad with others, but never good).

Maybe these new adapters are better because they are for midrange, but who knows. Who is willing to buy one for testing ?

Edited by steppenw0lf

I have been using Fotodiox adapter for my Hasselblad CFE 120/4 to E mount and to Nikon mount for quite awhile now for my A7r ii and SL (SL required extra Nikon to T mount adapter) but with cropped factor. I really like the result and don't mind the cropped factor as I feel that I am getting the best out of the center. For landscape, I prefer it over using Zeiss 135/2 ZF.2 that I have and is also an excellent portrait lens. Macro ability is also really excellent. Probably the best value for a lens that I have considering the asking price and IQ that I get. I can't imagine that Kipon adapter will be able to retain all of the IQ of the lens without any degradation though. I think I will stick with my Fotodiox adapter for now.

• Like 1

The optics mean two things: First to have the "original" angle of view and second to have an additional aperture stop (twice as much light).

This sounds very nice, but usually comes at a price (not money), and the price to pay is inferior IQ.

There is a whole collection of similar adapters for FF lenses to APS-C cameras. And they are regarded as poor adapters (toy like). They offer very slow AF and quite bad IQ (ok. with some lenses, really bad with others, but never good).

Maybe these new adapters are better because they are for midrange, but who knows. Who is willing to buy one for testing ?

Actually, from what I have seen about focal reducers the IQ improves a bit rather than deteriorates as long as the optics in the reducer are decent. The absolutely stellar Olympus 35-100 f2 zoom was a 70--200 2.8 with an inbuilt focal reducer. Some of the Speed Booster brand reducers were tested on DP Review and did very well.

It'll be up to the optics in the unit to see how good this particular one is. The 100mm HB v series would be a very interesting lens to try on the SL.

Gordon

• Like 1

A dedicated reducer to only one singe tele lens (and built-in, so it is an integral part of this lens) is probably a different story than a general reducer in a separate device from a separate producer and used on all sorts of lenses. And here it is mainly interesting/used for wide-ange lenses.

But as I wrote nobody knows for sure - it needs to be tested.     ;)

If it was for my Rollei 6000 lenses I would try it. But I have no H ...

Interesting question for me, is the adapter still usable if the glass is removed "by accident" ?   :rolleyes:

Edited by steppenw0lf

It would be interesting to try my V system lenses on the SL ... I have 80/2.8, 120/4 Macro, and 150/4. 

Hmm.

Well, there is the older adapter from Novoflex, Hasselblad to Leica R, has no glass, so certainly no negative impact on the image quality,

200 Euro's on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/231861031049?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 3

A dedicated reducer to only one singe tele lens (and built-in, so it is an integral part of this lens) is probably a different story than a general reducer in a separate device from a separate producer and used on all sorts of lenses. And here it is mainly interesting/used for wide-ange lenses.

But as I wrote nobody knows for sure - it needs to be tested.     ;)

Interesting question for me, is the adapter still usable if the glass is removed "by accident" ?   :rolleyes:

Here's a review of the Speedbooster

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/metabones-speed-booster-review-27042

Sharpness ands contrast improve with the apeedbooster.

Gordon

• Like 2

The Metabones Speedbooster adapter (a different brand adapter than the one mentioned here) is amazing, because it offers what nobody thought possible. But it is also no free lunch - not all testers were fully positive. Many found vignetting, reduced sharpness and contrast outside the center of the image and a extraordinarily slow AF. (EF to NEX)

But I agree, it is much better than I expected.

The question remains, is it good enough for "Leica-standards" ?

And the Kipon adapter for Hasselblad is still a separate story. But it is fascinating!

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

When this adapter was announced I said I would use it, if it was for my Rollei 6000 HFT lenses.

Now, by accident I found a possible solution for the problem how to make good use of old Rollei lenses.

FotoDiox offers some adapters to attach Rollei 6000 HFT lenses to Canon EOS, Nikon F, Pentax K, Sony alpha and Fuji-X.

https://www.fotodioxpro.com/fotodiox-pro-lens-mount-adapter-rollei-6000-rolleiflex-series-lens-to-nikon-f-mount-slr-dslr-camera-w-built-in-iris.html

https://www.fotodioxpro.com/fotodiox-pro-lens-mount-adapter-rollei-6000-rolleiflex-series-lens-to-canon-eos-dslr-camera-w-built-in-iris-and-focus-confirmation-dandelion-chip.html

With a combination of Rollei HFT to Nikon F and Nikon F to Leica SL adapter, the Rollei 6000 lenses could be adapted to the SL. Of course this offers no AF and no automatic diaphragm control (but manual control). Another way could be to use the EOS mount in the middle. The question is just how firm will that be regarding the considerable weight of the MF lenses.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Even better, there are also shift adapters, but unfortunately only to Sony and Fuji cameras.

But I am really glad I finally found a solution for these old Rollei lenses - to bring them into the digital age. Actually there are adapters for both Rollei 6000 and also for Rollei SL66 lenses.

Of course the lenses are a bit big for many mirrorless cameras.   :)

Fortunately the SL is bigger (did I say that ???).

https://www.fotodioxpro.com/fotodiox-pro-shift-adapter-rollei-6000-mount-lenses-to-sony-emount-cameras.html

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 2

It looks quite usable on FF cameras: The D700 is more or less the same size as the SL.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Well, there is the older adapter from Novoflex, Hasselblad to Leica R, has no glass, so certainly no negative impact on the image quality,

200 Euro's on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/231861031049?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Also allows use on M240 when combined with Leica R to M converter with access to full lens corrections.....just pick the lens focal length "look" you want. Use it all the time!

The Zeiss 110 2.0 on a M240 both works well  AND  looks awesome!

I think anyone with a SL would like it too :rolleyes:  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Often the fish-eye lens is the widest for the midrange camera systems. In this digital age, has anybody tried to take pictures with the fisheye and convert them by software into "straight-line" images of the biogon type ? How is the result ?

For Rollei 6000 the 40mm is the widest "straight" Zeiss lens, while the 30mm is the widest of all, but a fisheye. Probably similar in the Zeiss for Hasselblad lenses ?! 

Has anybody used a 30mm fisheye adapted to the SL (or another FF camera) ? I wonder how much of this fisheye character is preserved. Probably/maybe not much at all. So maybe it could be used almost like a classical lens, even without conversion by software. In the center the distortion is meant to be quite mild - if the lens is "perfectly in plumb".

Edited by steppenw0lf