How will 28 ELMARIT- M F2.8 perform?

M10Alpine

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am very satisfied with my 28/2.8. Especially the stunning sharpness of this lens in relation to its small size and weight is extraordinary. However, you must like the 28mm-View and in available-light situations the solution is to choose higher ISO. But in daylight and i.e. for the genre of Streetphotography the 28 Elmarit is a great lens. I never would sell it, although I have other faster 28 Lenses.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

(1) You don't need lenses that can see in the dark with the M246. Quite the opposite - the sensor has very high usable ISO, so you will be fine even with slower lenses.

(2) The most modern asph lenses produce very high contrast with the M246 which I find unappealing. Much prefer old lenses from the 1960s (my trio is 50/2 v2, 35/2 v1 and 90/4 triplet). Very sharp but with less contrast - which results in better tonality and retention of highlights.

My recollection (from the M9 days) of the 2.8/28 non-asph Elmarit (if that is the lens you are referring to) is that it is a lens with a mellower character than the newer Asph version. As such, I think it will be a great lens on the M246. Therefore, to be clear, my advice to you is to get a second hand non-asph 2.8/28 Elmarit (product number 11804 otherwise known as v3) if you prefer the 28 mm focal length. On the other hand, if the 35mm focal length appeals, than the 35/2 (8-element, 11308) or alternatively the more modern 35/2 v4 (the "bokeh king", 11310) would make wonderful starter lenses for your M246.

Edited by albireo_double
  • Like 4

Here's a landscape photo to supplement the examples provided so far. I love this lense and find it attached to my 246 more often than the APO Summicron 50. It's not "better but it's perhaps a result of preference for 28mm rather than 50mm. Oh, and it's small and handy to carry around.

868ecc61f6a72c36c01f550c37296670_zpstdtn

• Like 8

Here's a landscape photo to supplement the examples provided so far. I love this lense and find it attached to my 246 more often than the APO Summicron 50. It's not "better but it's perhaps a result of preference for 28mm rather than 50mm. Oh, and it's small and handy to carry around.[/size]

868ecc61f6a72c36c01f550c37296670_zpstdtn[/size]

Is this in Desolation Sound? :).

I do not have a Monochrom typ 246 (yet), but I do have the Elmarit M 28/2.8 ASPH (#11 677).  This little lens is just outstanding in every way - high contrast, excellent color rendering and razor sharp.  At f/2.8, it has enough speed for all but the lowest light environments when coupled with my M-P 240.  Put the Elmarit on a typ 246 and that is a non issue, given the 246's high ISO capability.  The 28 Summilux will produce a more shallow DOF and a different bokeh at maximum aperture, but those come at an almost $4000 USD upcharge.

The Elmarit is the deal of the century, all things considered.  There is no way can you go wrong with this little masterpiece IMHO.

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 3

Is this in Desolation Sound? :).

Hi billinghambaglady :)

It's a lake two hundred meters away from our house - on the western coast of Norway. It's very understandable you ask because after googling Desolation Sound I found mostly pictures resembling our surroundings. So similar yet another continent :) 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi billinghambaglady :)

It's a lake two hundred meters away from our house - on the western coast of Norway. It's very understandable you ask because after googling Desolation Sound I found mostly pictures resembling our surroundings. So similar yet another continent :)

Yes, I could have sworn I had been in the exact spot anchored in a boat years ago! Very nice.
  • Like 1

(1) You don't need lenses that can see in the dark with the M246. Quite the opposite - the sensor has very high usable ISO, so you will be fine even with slower lenses.

(2) The most modern asph lenses produce very high contrast with the M246 which I find unappealing. Much prefer old lenses from the 1960s (my trio is 50/2 v2, 35/2 v1 and 90/4 triplet). Very sharp but with less contrast - which results in better tonality and retention of highlights.

My recollection (from the M9 days) of the 2.8/28 non-asph Elmarit (if that is the lens you are referring to) is that it is a lens with a mellower character than the newer Asph version. As such, I think it will be a great lens on the M246. Therefore, to be clear, my advice to you is to get a second hand non-asph 2.8/28 Elmarit (product number 11804 otherwise known as v3) if you prefer the 28 mm focal length. On the other hand, if the 35mm focal length appeals, than the 35/2 (8-element, 11308) or alternatively the more modern 35/2 v4 (the "bokeh king", 11310) would make wonderful starter lenses for your M246.

Thanks - very interesting points. Ye I was referring to the 2.8/28 non-asps Elmarit. 

Hi there,

I have a Monochrom and a M6. My first lens was a Summarit 50mm and for some reason I didn't really get warm with the Leica ... Giving it some thoughts, I decided to get a 90mm as a portrait lens as well. Same thing, I enjoyed taking pictures with it but THE Leica effect was not there yet.

On eBay Germany I found an Elmarit 28mm E46 Made in Canada for very cheap (cheapest and oldest lens I have) and since that day, I almost never used my 50 or 90mm again, its my favorite lens. 

Cheers

• Like 1

Tomorro my New 28mm Elmarit ASPH arrives..  (so excited) I have set Wednesday aside for a day of learning & experimentation  :unsure:

(Black Lens on my M-P240 Safari) I'm no fashion expert  ;) -- L

a black lens on a safari looks great! besides, i guarantee you'll be so pleased with the images your new 28 elmarit produces that you won't think about the cosmetics.

Diverging from the topic a little, but has anyone tried an Elmarit R 28mm lens on the MM? Once I tried my really old Summicron R 35mm and really liked the results. This camera loves older lenses.

I took the Elmarit-R 28 V1 yesterday on a holiday trip. but in summer I typically use the SL because I want to take advantage of the colorful landscapes.

This old lens was in a cupboard for many years - I had seen tests and comparisons to the newer version V2 and was so naive to believe that it was inferior, according to test charts. (not "good enough" for Leica).

After some discussions about limited weight (for camera bodies plus lenses) I wanted to give it a try again - being the lightest R lens. And what a surprise - it turned out really great photos. I like especially the vibrant colors and rich contrast. The typical objects photographed on a walk or tour are really great with this lens - crowds (without contorted faces near the border of the image), land- and seascape, any sort of transportation, especially boats/ships with rigging in all sharpness, trees, farm animals, anything near water, houses,  ... 

How can I explain the extraordinary results when the testers found so many faults with this lens ?

I think the test charts with 28mm are similar to macro-shots. So this is not the typical scenario for a holiday trip on a sunny day. Most pictures were taken with some distance (2-3m) and with aperture 5.6 or slower. Macro with 28mm is often not such a great idea, anyway.

But I wanted to see the "disaster". So I also took some garden photos. And pictures of large-flowered plants (roses and hyacinths or similar stuff, was looking for sunflowers but could not find any). And again I was surprised - wonderful dreamy (but vibrant) colors, very sharp in the center, but softer at the borders (in accordance with the charts) and with some vignetting that lead interest back to the center.

The result was great - it was the mood and interesting/different perspective I wanted to get for these photos and which I typically do not get with modern zooms. So the results were wonderful, despite being technically imperfect - much worse than what a Macro Elmarit-R 100 would have delivered in this situation.

So I decided to keep this lens now "in the team" - even though I typically use an M 28. And when the colors and summer are gone I will give it a try on the M246. This will take some time as autumn is typically the most-colorful season here.    ;)

Maybe you expected to get an answer for Elmarit-R 28 V2, but I don't have it. It is also bigger than the V1 which makes it less desirable for a walk. 

The V1 surprised me, so I did some search and saw that 50000 were built (it was replaced quite late,  in 1994, and the V2 was sold less than 4000 times). So many photographers have used it for a long time and must have been (quite/very) happy with it. (as only few replaced it by the V2)

So the test charts tell only a very limited part of the real usefulness of this older lens (V1).

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 2

I took the Elmarit-R 28 V1 yesterday on a holiday trip. but in summer I typically use the SL because I want to take advantage of the colorful landscapes.

This old lens was in a cupboard for many years - I had seen tests and comparisons to the newer version V2 and was so naive to believe that it was inferior, according to test charts. (not "good enough" for Leica).

After some discussions about limited weight (for camera bodies plus lenses) I wanted to give it a try again - being the lightest R lens. And what a surprise - it turned out really great photos. I like especially the vibrant colors and rich contrast. The typical objects photographed on a walk or tour are really great with this lens - crowds (without contorted faces near the border of the image), land- and seascape, any sort of transportation, especially boats/ships with rigging in all sharpness, trees, farm animals, anything near water, houses,  ... 

How can I explain the extraordinary results when the testers found so many faults with this lens ?

I think the test charts with 28mm are similar to macro-shots. So this is not the typical scenario for a holiday trip on a sunny day. Most pictures were taken with some distance (2-3m) and with aperture 5.6 or slower. Macro with 28mm is often not such a great idea, anyway.

But I wanted to see the "disaster". So I also took some garden photos. And pictures of large-flowered plants (roses and hyacinths or similar stuff, was looking for sunflowers but could not find any). And again I was surprised - wonderful dreamy (but vibrant) colors, very sharp in the center, but softer at the borders (in accordance with the charts) and with some vignetting that lead interest back to the center.

The result was great - it was the mood and interesting/different perspective I wanted to get for these photos and which I typically do not get with modern zooms. So the results were wonderful, despite being technically imperfect - much worse than what a Macro Elmarit-R 100 would have delivered in this situation.

So I decided to keep this lens now "in the team" - even though I typically use an M 28. And when the colors and summer are gone I will give it a try on the M246. This will take some time as autumn is typically the most-colorful season here.    ;)

Maybe you expected to get an answer for Elmarit-R 28 V2, but I don't have it. It is also bigger than the V1 which makes it less desirable for a walk. 

The V1 surprised me, so I did some search and saw that 50000 were built (it was replaced quite late,  in 1994, and the V2 was sold less than 4000 times). So many photographers have used it for a long time and must have been (quite/very) happy with it. (as only few replaced it by the V2)

So the test charts tell only a very limited part of the real usefulness of this older lens (V1).

Thanks so much! I might just pick up one of these! Please share results on the MM when you can.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I'm totally new to the MM246 I bought mine today and I wonder what yo think of having a 28 ELMARIT- M F2.8 as a starting point. I know its not ideal but is there any one who has a 28 ELMARIT- M F2.8 that can post a few pictures and reccoemnd setting to get nice results. 

Thx in advance

23859772125_5b63285a10_k.jpg

London Street Painter 

I miss this lens. I love how it is so tiny yet has easy zone focussing on the barrel. I sold it and a 50 cron in part ex for a 50 APO which was worth the trade but I still miss it. The 50 APO zone focussing is way too tight for my eyes but the results are amazing. I now have a Leica Q so 28mm is covered but I almost bought the 28 elmarit and would not have regretted it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This is with a 28 Elmarit -- not the apo, but the version 4 from the 90's, I think. Not as compact as the apo,  but a really good lens. This is the set up I am using to do a book about the Slovenian architect Joze Plecnik. One camera, one lens,  though I sometimes use the Q when I have to do closeups. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Gentlemen, Those are beautiful rich images on this page!  Here is one I got today out along northern Puget Sound. We were supposed to have cyclone winds last night. They never arrived but the skies were alive all weekend.

28mm Elmarit-M Pre-Asph (4th version).

164310918.VCY56nl5.LookingNorthontheSoun

Edited by DwF
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Leica lenses, of any vintage, when used appropriately (within their design limitations) always produce excellent results.

There is no such thing as an "ideal" lens; everybody has a different view as to what is ideal.

If you want a great lightweight and compact lens get an Elmarit - if you prefer heavy bling then summilux is the way to go!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Leica lenses, of any vintage, when used appropriately (within their design limitations) always produce excellent results.

There is no such thing as an "ideal" lens; everybody has a different view as to what is ideal.

If you want a great lightweight and compact lens get an Elmarit - if you prefer heavy bling then summilux is the way to go!

Completely agree. And the best value for money. ( Plastic !!!! optical elements are not plastic they are real organic crystals  :rolleyes: That's why we pay such a price. It's Leica as usual.

This lens is on my wish list as I like to add a lens to my other lenses and 28mm is my least preferred angle of view.

It is usable in my vision and I like the quality and contrast on M6. 

• Like 1