MP rewinding film

Guest camera man

Guest camera man

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After six years of using my MP film camera I have just purchased a second new MP body. When rewinding the film you can hear a mechanical click every time the rewind knob makes half a turn. Is this what Erwin Puts mentions in his Leica Compendium page 228 -  " the rewind knob has a very useful friction now ...The MP rewind knob has been designed with inherent friction that is equal to the film force"

No, the rewind of a Leica MP should never click.

Something is off.

- remove the bottom plate

- pull out the rewind knob to it's extended rewind position

- insert a finger into the film cartridge side of the camera and touch the rewind fork with your fingertip

- rotate the rewind knob with your other hand and feel if the fork rotates properly

A little play between the two is normal but they should always stay connected.

Guest camera man

Hello Menos I M6, I checked it out and all seems OK. I can only think that it may well have been the temperature during the day, well over 30c, may have been film sticking in the cartridge? I will have to wait for the return of the film from the lab!

Guest camera man

Also, the older camera body that I had with me did not show this problem, so the high temperature on the film cartridge was incorrect? May be its just bad loading. I have just loaded the camera again with a new film and clicked off 36 frames and rewound the camera , the problem did not happen !