Need some advice on a compact bag for the Leica S

leicapages

One nice thing about the Hadley Pro is its top handle (reinforced, too).  If I purchased one of the other Billingham's mentioned above, I'd inquire about the cost of adding a similar handle.  

Jeff

True, the Hadley Pro's handle is beautiful!

I asked Billingham about fitting one on the f.1.4 and other bags, and the answer was 'no way, it would affect the stability'.

Therefore I did found my own solution. It consists basically in adding 2 leather pieces, which I bought in a saddler's shop.

The attached pictures will show it. In reality it looks nicer than in these pictures... :-)

Only caution: the bag must be closed when holding it from this handle, because it can tip over.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Manolo Laguillo
  • Like 1

The 2nd picture

And this is the entire bag

Advertisement (gone after registration)

attachicon.gifBillingham f.1.4 + S + 30-90 + 70.jpg

S + 30-90 + 70. That's what I have, exactly.

Even with the lenshood in working position on the 30-90 everything fits well into the Billingham f.1.4.

This bag is very light (lighter than the Hadley Pro, or the Peak Design's Messenger), the equipment is well protected, it is rainproof, and it is an "open space" bag, with everything easily reachable.

I own the Billingham Hadley Pro as well, but the S + any lens would not have enough place in it.

I had the "Leica large cotton system case", but I sold it. A very nice bag, strong and soft, very good looking. But too large for the M, as I saw it (I don't like to carry so much stuff when working with the M), and too narrow for the S...

BTW, the best Billingham for a compact M outfit is the L2. This bag is much better than the Leica Billingham.

Thanks a lot for these images, the bag looks indeed like what I need. I will try to check it out, together with the Hadley Pro, to make up my mind :)

• Like 1

I'm using a Harley Pro for mine and I can get my S007 with 30,70 & 120 in it plus some assesories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil, am curious to see how the Hadley Pro would work for S + vario 30-90 and 70 lenses. Most said it wouldn't work but according to Billingham itself, both the Hadley Pro and the fStop 1.4 series should work... But the Hadley Pro is quoted to be narrower than the fStop 1.4, so that may be problematic.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Neil, am curious to see how the Hadley Pro would work for S + vario 30-90 and 70 lenses. Most said it wouldn't work but according to Billingham itself, both the Hadley Pro and the fStop 1.4 series should work... But the Hadley Pro is quoted to be narrower than the fStop 1.4, so that may be problematic.

How big is the zoom lens compared to my 30mm Summilux???

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I've been thinking about getting the zoom and doing away with my 30 & 70 but I've read the IQ of the zoom is terrible compared to the primes............ So I think I will stick with what I already have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a serious bulge in your Hadley, Neil.

I find the Hadley pro is a better fit for my M cameras. It holds 2 bodies with lenses, 2 additional lenses, flash and a computer without straining the straps. It is my under-the-seat airline bag. When I'm situated, I usually just use one camera and leave the kit in my room.

The Filson is wider, deeper and more casual looking. But it does tend to fill up with rain jackets and the little crap my wife picks up when we're out. Unless, of course, it is hauling her Olympus kit along with the S2. In that case she carries her own shopping bag.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

That's a serious bulge in your Hadley, Neil.

I find the Hadley pro is a better fit for my M cameras. It holds 2 bodies with lenses, 2 additional lenses, flash and a computer without straining the straps. It is my under-the-seat airline bag. When I'm situated, I usually just use one camera and leave the kit in my room.

The Filson is wider, deeper and more casual looking. But it does tend to fill up with rain jackets and the little crap my wife picks up when we're out. Unless, of course, it is hauling her Olympus kit along with the S2. In that case she carries her own shopping bag.

Nothing wrong with a little bulge.........

For me anyway its a perfect fit, I also have the Birmingham 335 that I sometimes use when traveling from A to B ............I will pack my Harley Pro in my check in luggage and then use the Harley pro for my walk around bag