Dust Grains in Viewfinder

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

I noticed something probably not think-worthy, but it seems that there are either some dust grains or scratches on a small component of the viewfinder. (Take a look at the picture)

Someone noticed the same in his Leica M camera?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by trequartista

I'd never noticed but on my M246 there are tiny, tiny artefacts in the same place. The component is black but they can be made to show up as highlights if the camera is angled against a bright light. The 'marks' appear to be simply a result of how the component is made. But thank you for posting, most Leica owners can now sleep soundly again safe in the knowledge that there are three of the smallest possible manufacturing marks sometimes visible right at the bottom of the viewfinder window. However I am sure some will feel the need to say 'this is not acceptable!' and 'send it back!'

Hallo to everyone in the Leicaland  :) 

This is my 3. post here but I am long time reader and follower of LUF. I find this place excellent knowlege base where you can find everything you want to know about the Leica and photography general. I am Leica M user almost for almost 13 years. My first purchase was used Leica M6 and after some time I sold her and immediately regret it. In 2010 I buyed the Leica MP that I still have, use and it bring me lot of joy.  :)  My first digital camera at all was the Leica M Monochrom that I buyed new by Leica dealer in the Germany on the January 2013. I got her in one week, perhaps why I payed in cash or I was lucky, I don't know.  ;) Any way this camera is incredible and I had wonderfull and happy time with her. But this year in March, I sold her to finance the purchase of my next Leica - the Leica M240. After more than 3 years making photos only in the Black and White I thought that it was time for a change and to try color photography. That is the reason why I sold my MM and buyed M240, otherwise the Mono would stay my me forever, it's such a excelent camera.  :) I am 100% satisfied with my M240, it had exceeded any of my expectations and it serve me very well. I also have happy time with her everyday but somehow I miss my Mono... I am emotional about my Leica cameras.  ;) 

Back to topic, I looked into the front viewfinder window and found the same "artefact" inside as showed in the photo above. But only very, very little of it. I did't know before about this and now, I don't bother with it. It simply doesent matter. 

Funny thing is, after I purchased the Leica MM I had found a small hair insde the front viewfinder window. It was inside from the begining. Not big, only few millimetres and did't disturbe the rangefinder function. Actually you could see only her from the front in some specific angle.  I am shure this happened during the assembly in the factory. It is probably the eyebrow hair that fall of the technician whan was the rangefinder mechanism made and assembled. At the beginning I was little bit angry because I expected that the Leica MM is perfect, at least in the rangefinder part of the camera.

But after a while I got it, I poses the DNA of the Leica technician! Do you realise this means? All I need is the healthy ovum and I can grow my own Leica technicians to perform servicing, CLA and repairing.  :D 

In the January 2015 I had send my MM back to the Leica for check-up becouse of the sensor corrosion issue but I was lucky, they found no trace of it. After 5 weeks I got my Leica MM back with full check-up , CLA, adjustments, everything...   But the first thing I noticed is that the small hair was gone from inside the viewfinder window. Perhaps Leica somehow find out about my plans and they removed the hair or it is usual procedure in CLA. The MM is now sold to a buyer for ca. 3000 Euro. I told him about this hair and now he had a funny story to talk about. We had a good laugh together... Now whan I think about this, if the eyebrow hair would't be removed I could sell this Leica M Monochrom for much more money. Like some kind of very special edition of the Leica M Monochrom with the DNA of Leica technician inside! Who knows...

I just noticed whan I checked my Leica M240 for this "artefact" there are also 2 small hairs inside, very small. Whan I bought the camera I am shure there was nothing becouse I checked the viewfinder for dirt. It was superb clean inside, no trace at all of anything. Culd it be again? Is it the same thing as in the MM? I could't be that lucky... The two small hairs are white and little bit curled, like from cotton. The one that are T-shirts are made of, or the cleaning cloth. I am not shure if they use the white T-shirt for the cleaning the inside elements of the rangefinder by assembling it or cotton napkin, but everythng is possible. You never know...  ;) 

Is it even possible that something can get inside of the rangefinder mechanism, if the whole camera is sold as dust and weather proof?
Anyway, i don't bother with this. I love my Leica M240 and at the end it is just a tool for making photographs, a very good one...
I use it at it is meant to be, to make photos... 

I must apologise for this long post. Whan i start to talk or write about something I just can't stop. I am very passionate about the photography and the Leica cameras especially. This is my special interest on that I am focused all the time but is is not the exuse for to much talking about something. I also want to say that I am under spectrum, Asperger sindrom, and talking to much is one of his traits...  

Nikola

• Like 4