Leica Q Firmware 2.1 Wishlist

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like to connect my camera via WiFi and let me connect to the camera using my computer and download pictures+video in the same way a WiFi or computer-based disk drive would.

Why couldn't the "Backup" option in the menus be used to simply make the camera's SD card accessible to computers trying to connect via WLAN? I would think that would be easy to implement and create tremendous value to dinosaurs such as myself who still use computers for photo and video editing.

I tried to verify whether this could be done, and it looks like my camera simply does not appear on my network to the Macintosh.  I have both computers connected to the same WiFi Network.  The camera says "Connecting to App" and hangs without any apparent ability to connect with a computer.

I'm not really a computer expert, but wouldn't it require that the Mac have a Q app to connect to?  You have to install the app on your ipad to connect.    

Edited by stevieboy

100% i agree with a still existent problem that was reported by Alejandro Ilukewitsch on Steve Huff`s website (http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/05/26/my-thoughts-and-photos-leica-q-by-alejandro-ilukewitsch/). 

· Auto Exposure Lock – it doesn’t have a well implemented function. If you want to lock exposure you need to leave the button pressed. That means that you cannot use AEL with the Exposure compensation wheel. Ex: Lock exposure, and then use Exposure compensation, since you must leave your finger on the AE button pressed.

I couldn't agree more.  The auto exposure lock function could be better implemented.  I don't want to have to hold down the button to keep exposure locked.  This should be a real simple fix.

• Like 3

Pretty satisfied with 2.0. I have only three requests:

1. In EVF Extended, press Play to bring up the replay and allow the camera to switch to Live View by swiping up on the screen, just as you can now when using Auto View. Or, alternatively, press Play once to go to playback and press Play twice to go to Live View and then allow toggling from Play to Live View by swiping up or down as you can now. Press Play when done or have it shut off when raising camera to eye.

2. Allow binding the video button to some other function. The Q is just a flat out bad video camera; not Leica's strong suit, apparently. If I need video, I'll reach for my Canon, and if it's some newsworthy, once-in-a-lifetime event the Q video will do. As it is, the only time I use the video feature is when I turn it on inadvertently. At least they addressed that.

3. Toggle for the AEL. Having to hold that button down is completely stupid, not to mention ergonomically challenging.

A method to name user profiles would be nice, but I'm pretty sure that's not in the cards. And have Leica get someone competent to design and write a decent User's Guide. Use the money saved by not paying for LR licenses anymore. 

• Like 2

(...)

A method to name user profiles would be nice, but I'm pretty sure that's not in the cards. And have Leica get someone competent to design and write a decent User's Guide. Use the money saved by not paying for LR licenses anymore. 

I fully agree, although I fear this story with LR probably boils down to avoiding immediate perception of the barrel effect in the raw files, thus will probably stay.

Visibly, the agreement with Adobe is that they autocorrect barrel before you can see, and prevent you to access the original file (including the extra lateral pixels).

And then very little flock of RawTherapee, DarkTable, GraphicConverter... -who see it, will correct, know why and don't care, are not heard at all.

All this story looks very silly to me, but I admit that if there was a stupid roar of OMGthereISsoMUCHbarrel, this would be detrimental to Leica. Which I don't want.

Edited by Herve5

Last IMO, I would prefer a stronger detent on the aperture ring and for it to click in 1/2 stops.  Do y'all use the 1/3 stops?  I would prefer to be able to move the ring from f/4 to f/2 by counting or by feel, but with clicks every 1/3-stop it's too many when my brainpower is reduced because I'm trying to respond quickly.  It's a case of fine-tune refinement vs. speed.  Methinks that for a walk-around street photography camera the bias should be for speed.  But at least make the detent stronger.  I guess to be at the ready we would leave the aperture relatively small to be prepared for the unexpected, and then change to as wide an aperture as the scene allows to enjoy the nice look of subject isolation.  

Leica lenses have had aperture clicks at 1/3 stops for time immemorial, and since I use other Leicas at the same time (and have for over 40 years) I'd prefer they stay that way.

I agree with most of the previous posts, just have to add two more that haven't been said:

1) Setting the "Digital Zoom" button to AEL should not disable exposure preview from happening shutter half-press. This confused me utterly until I finally found anrando's post on this forum that explained why exposure preview suddenly stopped working for me :blink:

2) Provide a one-press method to reset the focus point to center in single-point focus mode. E.g. the center button on the multi-pad. I don't understand why there's no quick way to return to the center focus point, it makes it extremely tedious to work with single point focus. 

Much less critical but nice to have:

* A "resize for smartphone"option for transferring JPGs via WiFi. Fuji has this and it automatically resizes the image to 3MB before transferring to my phone, much better option for sharing and posting to social media.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2) Provide a one-press method to reset the focus point to center in single-point focus mode. E.g. the center button on the multi-pad. I don't understand why there's no quick way to return to the center focus point, it makes it extremely tedious to work with single point focus. 

Double tap the LCD in the center in Live View. The point will jump to the center. Always has.

• Like 1

I wish:

1. Provide an option to choose which AF mode will be used when no face is recognized, 1 Point or Multi-Points.
  2. Level gauge should not be hidden when using "no top & bottom bars mode" in Live View.
  3. Add quick access (FN or Zoom / Lock button) of switching AF Mode and EVF-LCD settings.
  4. Add ability to resize the Touch AF metering area also (S / M / L).
  5. When half-pressing shutter button in MF mode, zoom in (3x / 6x) if up or down button is pressed, just like the behavior of the normal Live View with MF.
Edited by Merci chao
  • Like 1

Hello,

i would like to see the possibility to switch between my photos (in Play-Mode) while completely zoomed in, so i can check the focus and sharpness 1:1 between several photos without completely zoom in, zoom out, switch to next Photo, zoom in again and so on...

Greetings!

• Like 1

Hello,

i would like to see the possibility to switch between my photos (in Play-Mode) while completely zoomed in, so i can check the focus and sharpness 1:1 between several photos without completely zoom in, zoom out, switch to next Photo, zoom in again and so on...

Greetings!

I wholeheartedly agree. It would enhance my IQ to quickly scan between a few photos zoomed in. Especially my macro shots.

• Like 1

Hello,

Greetings!

Your right. But at least zooming in and out is easier now with the new firmware. Simply 'double touch' will do this. But of course 'next' without changing the position in the photo would be great.

- TK

• 3 weeks later...

* A "resize for smartphone"option for transferring JPGs via WiFi. Fuji has this and it automatically resizes the image to 3MB before transferring to my phone, much better option for sharing and posting to social media.

Another vote for this one. How big are the JPGs that get transferred to the iPhone? I started another thread asking this question.

Also, does the aspect ratio transfer over so that you can post a square to Instagram? Is there an aspect ratio setting? I know Instagram has broken free of the square but it would be nice to do this.

(...)

Why couldn't the "Backup" option in the menus be used to simply make the camera's SD card accessible to computers trying to connect via WLAN? I would think that would be easy to implement and create tremendous value to dinosaurs such as myself who still use computers for photo and video editing.

I definitely agree that "more wifi commanding" would be better, at least to get from a computer what one only gets from the Leica app on tablets now.

But my past experience with wifi-capable memory cards (Eye-Fi) is very clear : downloading big, raw files over wifi is totally not efficient : extremely long, and draining enormously the camera battery.

To me it's obvious that if that option did exist on the camera, I'd never use it, in order not to kill my battery prematurely, and not to spend one hour downloading what happens in 2mn via USB. Which is, very exactly, what my Eye-Fi card did...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've found one bug.

When camera is set to JPG - take a photo and while camera is showing taken photo scroll thumb wheel to zoom in -> it zooms to very center of the image - it's OK

but

When camera is set to DNG - take a photo and use thumb wheel to zoom in - screen zooms not to the center but to the left bottom corner of the image. When you play again this picture or zoom out and zoom in again this time it zooms to center of image - correctly. But first zoom goes wrong all the time.

• Like 1

Your right. But at least zooming in and out is easier now with the new firmware. Simply 'double touch' will do this. But of course 'next' without changing the position in the photo would be great.

- TK

I wholeheartedly agree. It would enhance my IQ to quickly scan between a few photos zoomed in. Especially my macro shots.

Hello,

Greetings!

Guys you can do that. I've found way.

- Zoom in the picture with thumb wheel

- hold PLAY button and use thumb wheel to switch to next/previous photo still zoomed

Cheers :)

• Like 3

Guys you can do that. I've found way.

- Zoom in the picture with thumb wheel

- hold PLAY button and use thumb wheel to switch to next/previous photo still zoomed

Cheers :)

You sir are a "Steely-Eyed Missile Man". That is a fantastic hidden feature and one I will use a lot especially when comparing macro shots. Thank you very much.