Brand new Leica 262 some shutter speed figures not fully displaying in viewfider.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Infant mortality or assembly error, possibly.

It suggests to me that Leica's cameras are not 'burnt-in'.

A period on a shaker (with possibly hot and cold combined) would be worth its weight in gold (for the company) - Environmental Stress Screening (ESS) helps unearth latent defects and assembly issues. Result, happy customer

They are indeed not burnt-in. However, during the assembly process the cameras undergo 150+  test actuations. Still, this being a hand-assembled camera, quality control on the level of mass-produced gear is impossible. And, of course, early failure which is typical of electronic components cannot be foreseen.

Well, depends on the level of component chosen, for electronics there's a choice of commercial, industrial, automotive and military. Automotive are very good, car manufacturers can't afford to have failures and suffer having their brand being tarnished. Hand built cars such as the Morgan are said to be well built and reliable. If not word would soon get around and destroy the brand.

I have never seen a small shutterspeed display in a Morgan... And having driven one from new for a couple of decades I can assure you that they suffer much the same type of gremlins that Leica's do. Body parts not fitting properly, nails driven through wiring, rust protection forgotten around the cowl, weak exhaust connection under the sill, oil dripping on your trousers, rain making its way in to give your accelerator foot a wet sock, and I have probably forgotten a few. But wonderful cars nonetheless.

Btw, I moderate a Mitsubishi PHEV forum. Half the complaints are about electronics. I suffered quite scary firmware failure on mine, bringing it to a full-brake stop automatically on the motorway. A few of them had to be replaced "out of the box" for electronic malfunction.