X Vario Mk II ?

miro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While not disagreeing with you Toshiba, the examples you list are for full frame, except for the Fuji. This makes a difference i think?

Gary

Those are not FF lenses. A fast lens is always going to be much larger than a slow lens.

Edited by earleygallery

While not disagreeing with you Toshiba, the examples you list are for full frame, except for the Fuji. This makes a difference i think?

Gary

I am not a large multinational conglomerate Japanese company.

I may give the impression of being one, and I probably wouldn't mind being one, but I am fairly certain I am not one.

Toshi

• Like 1

By comparison, the X Vario filter size is 43mm.

Bad comparison, because the filter diameter is much smaller than the lens diameter. The lens diameter (XV) is round about 61mm.

Perhaps a 16-55mm f3,5-5,6 lens with integrated image stabilizer should be possible with 60-65mm diameter or perhaps a 15-55mm f2,8-4.0, also with integrated image stabilizer. 

And then same fast processor of the Q and same fast AF. And an integrated viewfinder. This would be a major development step in the right direction for a successor of the X Vario. :)

Just dreaming...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bad comparison, because the filter diameter is much smaller than the lens diameter. The lens diameter (XV) is round about 61mm.

Well, the filter diameter is also much smaller than the lens diameter on most of the lenses I posted also.

The actual body diameter is not listed in the specifications, but I would guess probably 80mm or more.

The main point (a constant aperture f/2.8 lens would be signfiicantly larger) is still valid.

Toshi

Well, actually Leicarumors is only saying that the X Vario has been marked discontinued at two retailers: Yodobashi and B&H.

The also said that it would be interesting to see if Leica updates the X Vario.

In my humble opinion this is very very far away from any hint in any direction, let alone a rumor.

FF is overrated in the minds of many photographers. APS-C is perfectly adequate for many of us, and it allows for much less expensive sensors and lenses as well as more compact equipment. 35mm film is one thing, but FF digital is more sensitive to the angle at which light strikes the sensor, and this must somehow be compensated for by the sensor, lens, software, or a combination thereof. At the present time, my personal inclination is to revert to film if I feel the need for FF format. 35mm film photography bypasses the technical complications of FF digital.

Well, actually Leicarumors is only saying that the X Vario has been marked discontinued at two retailers: Yodobashi and B&H.

The also said that it would be interesting to see if Leica updates the X Vario.

In my humble opinion this is very very far away from any hint in any direction, let alone a rumor.

Actually the Vario Black (which I have) has been marked discontinued, not the silver and black one. I'm currently still very happy with my Vario and have no plans to upgrade it. While the initial public reaction to the camera was bad due to aperture, most reviews that I've seen were far better and the main criticism was for cost (usual for a Leica) Most users seem to love it. I'm hoping that Leica doesn't give up the ship on this type of camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by teb1013