Q; exposure issue in continuous shooting mode

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I've just recently purchased a Leica Q to add to my Nikon D-SLR system and just today I also updated the firmware to ver. 2.0.

I'm using the camera in aperture priority mode and single-shot mode 95% of the time I'm using it.

But only today I noticed something strange; when I use it in continuous [C] shooting mode, the exposures after the first one are different than the first one (and all except the first one being the same). As if the camera does not lock the exposure parameters after it's done with recording the first shot. This is not strange by itself, because the camera should change the exposure in such cases IF NEEDED, but in my case this happens also when the lighting situation does not change one bit. Basically the camera changes exposure parameters in fixed lighting conditions - which does not seem the proper way ...

Anyone else noticed the same?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply.

I'd say the difference is 1/3 to 1/2 of a stop. The problem occurs while shooting at all aperture values except wide-open at f/1.7.

Why do you consider that "normal"? There's clearly something wrong with the way the camera is stopping down the lens' aperture ... and it does bother me.

So, is it really just the way it works, are you all experiencing the same behaviour?

I've been using exposure bracketing a lot recently - in fact it is implemented very well on the Q, imho - this sounds like it to me. Check the menu setting for Exposure Bracketing and I bet it is set to a value other than 0.

Otherwise there is some issue with the camera but I have never noticed a problem with continuous shooting - although now I come to think of it I probably only use it with bracketing.

LouisB

I haven't experienced this - I use continuous a lot in the medium speed. For those of you that have had this problem - have you looked at your camera data on those successive frames to see if the aperture or shutter speed data is different from frame-to-frame in the burst?

I have experienced this and thought I had lost my own marbles when it happened.  I burst shot a static scene, barely swiveling the camera to the right during the burst - with zero lighting change.  And  while the first frame was properly exposed, the subsequent ones were almost totally blown out.  Exp bracketing was not on.

Danke für die Antwort.

Ich würde sagen , der Unterschied 1/3 bis 1/2 eines Anschlags ist. Das Problem tritt bei allen Blendenwerten außer aufgerissenen bei f / 1.7 beim Schießen.

Warum gehst du der Meinung , dass "normal"? Es ist eindeutig etwas falsch mit der Art und Weise der Kamera Abblenden wird die Linse 'Blende ... und es mich stört.

So ist es wirklich so , wie es funktioniert, werden Sie alle das gleiche Verhalten erlebt?

EV = adjustment on one point ? 

Edited by kmhb

I have experienced this and thought I had lost my own marbles when it happened.  I burst shot a static scene, barely swiveling the camera to the right during the burst - with zero lighting change.  And  while the first frame was properly exposed, the subsequent ones were almost totally blown out.  Exp bracketing was not on.

Depending on which metering mode is engaged, and where in the frame the metering is taking place, exposure can change - sometimes drastically - if you move or change  the camera's field of view. This is especially true if you are in spot metering mode - in this mode, the spot meter is reading precisely in the green auto-focus box. If you move the camera, and the AF is focused on something else, the exposure will change. There can also be changes in the exposure if you;re using center-weighted or pattern (sometimes called matrix) metering modes. Your eye compensates for the change in exposure - and it all looks like the same light, but to the camera, even small changes of where it's pointed can change the exposure.

Edited by beez
  • Like 1

Depending on which metering mode is engaged, and where in the frame the metering is taking place, exposure can change - sometimes drastically - if you move or change  the camera's field of view. This is especially true if you are in spot metering mode - in this mode, the spot meter is reading precisely in the green auto-focus box. If you move the camera, and the AF is focused on something else, the exposure will change. There can also be changes in the exposure if you;re using center-weighted or pattern (sometimes called matrix) metering modes. Your eye compensates for the change in exposure - and it all looks like the same light, but to the camera, even small changes of where it's pointed can change the exposure.

That's a very simple and valued call that I totally overlooked.  I always shoot in spot metering - so I'm sure that was the culprit.  Makes complete sense.  Thanks for the insight..