Leica Q Firmware-Update 2.0 - now available

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You probably had "exp.comp..." function for FN etc stored in profile 1. If you want to change that, store the new FN function in profile 1, before selecting that.  I think you should try this:

1. Press and hold down FN and select "User Profile", let go of FN button
  2. Using the menu, go to "User profile", select "Save as", and save as profile 1
  3. Press FN and select profile 1
  4. Press FN again, it will still show the user profile selection. (this does not show the currently selected profile however)

Yep you were spot on with the above.

All sorted now as I have saved each profile with the "User Profile".

A bit annoying that it won't show the profile selected but I can live with that. If I'm not sure I just select the profile I want again.

Thanks heaps for your help.

Edited by Big T
  • Like 2

Yep you were spot on with the above.

All sorted now as I have saved each profile with the "User Profile".

A bit annoying that it won't show the profile selected but I can live with that. If I'm not sure I just select the profile I want again.

Thanks heaps for your help..

Glad I could help. This took me some time to get used to, since I was/am used to Nikon (memory banks), that behaves differently. With Leica, anything you change does not automatically get stored in the selected profile. With Nikon, it does. I think that the Leica approach is actually better, it allows a quick temporary change without having to restore that before switching to another profile. Using the Nikon, if I change anything, I have to remember to change it back to retain profile sanity, or restore my preferred profiles completely from a memory card.

• Like 1

I had the same problem up to now

now I think I found a workaround:

reset file numbering (file nr.will be 001)

take a picture (was in 100LEICA)

reset file numbering (file nr will be 001)

take a picture (was in 101LEICA)

take a picture (was in 102LEICA)

and so on

(I had about 6000 pictures with V1 up to now, my order nr was 106LEICA. After several steps, like mentioned above, I now have folder 107LEICA, and file nr is now set to L1070001, all is ok)

when you hit PLAY (and perhaps additionally the set button) you will see the incremented folder nr. within the file nr.

Cannot work, man. I did but the Q creates new folder with name 100LEICA automatically. The new taken file was not into 101 or 102... 106.. folder. Plz instruct more detail Edited by cafecacao

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Indeed, and that is a pity, I think. Others could disagree, of course. I will put this on my wishlist for 2.1

Just installed the 2.0 FW. First off, a big thank you to Leica they finally came out with a useful Firmware upgrade. One of my major complains has been addressed, so I am mostly a happy camper. Also very useful what others have found out already.

Bart - you just seem to have very similar feelings as I have in regard to the upgraded functionality. Some things feel a bit half-hearted implemented, such as the video disabling (why not assigning this button another functionality), the EVF mode not being stored in the user profile and the non-activation of the main LCD display with some buttons. Clipping info also only still shows if button is pressed - maybe a technical limitation with that camera.

Cheers

Ivo

• Like 1

I had the same problem up to now

now I think I found a workaround:

reset file numbering (file nr.will be 001)
take a picture (was in 100LEICA)

take a picture (was in 101LEICA)

take a picture (was in 102LEICA)

and so on

(I had about 6000 pictures with V1 up to now, my order nr was 106LEICA. After several steps, like mentioned above, I now have folder 107LEICA, and file nr is now set to L1070001, all is ok)

when you hit PLAY (and perhaps additionally the set button) you will see the incremented folder nr. within the file nr.

sorry for my previous post, it worked well, tks so much hehehhe

Edited by cafecacao

Clipping info also only still shows if button is pressed - maybe a technical limitation with that camera.

I doubt it. I think it is a design consideration, being that when framing, users do not want the "blinkies". If it is a technical limitation, that would mean that for live view, not only subsampling is used (which is undoubtedly the case), but also some sort of lower precision is used, so that accurate clipping detection is simply not possible. But again: I doubt that.

What I would like to know is this: is the clipping info based on RAW data, or on the rendered (JPG) conversion? Same for the histogram. I have to experiment to find that out, but I fear that like most cameras it is the latter, and not based on RAW data. I still cannot understand why vendors do not include a RAW histogram/clipping info option for RAW shooters. This could be very, very, very useful.

I mentioned earlier that I had yet to find the vendor/camera that has that option, but recently I did: The Leica M Monochrome is said to have a real RAW data histogram... Does that give some hope?

Used the Q yesterday (along with my Nikons) for an assignment - on the campaign trail for the day with Hillary Clinton in Las Vegas - for the first time since upgrading to the 2.0 firmware. I like all the changes - the best, being able to shoot DNG only. One pleasant surprise I found during post-processing is the embedded jpgs in the DNG files are now full size, where before, they were about half-size. I edit using the Photo Mechanic app on a 27" Apple thunderbolt monitor, and Photo Mechanic uses the embedded jpg for display while editing RAW files. Before, when the pictures were enlarged in Photo Mechanic's preview mode, were soft and pixelized blown up that big, and I couldn't determine sharpness. So, I had to run the DNGs through Adobe's DNG converter app to replace the small jpgs with full size, an extra step in the workflow. Now the embedded jpgs are full 24MP - the same size as embedded in Nikon's NEFs, so this has simplified my workflow a lot.

Thanks, Leica! 

• Like 1

One pleasant surprise I found during post-processing is the embedded jpgs in the DNG files are now full size, where before, they were about half-size. 

I haven't ingested anything since the update. This is the best news possible. The small jpeg previews made me sort of crazy.

• Like 1

Last night I finally got round to updating to 2.0 and I immediately noticed a change not mentioned as far as I know. The EVF display renders quite differently. I still had the SD card in that I used for a week on the N.Yorkshire Moors and hadn't imported them and was taken aback at how differently looked. I'm not saying it's now bad but changed it most certainly has.

Let me explain; prior to 2.0 and since first ownership I noticed that when shooting using the EVF the image is somewhat over-sharpened prior to capture then upon auto review and replay the image looks more natural. Even afterwards though the EVF presented an image that I can only describe as reminiscent of a stereo viewer especially when shot at 1.7 which objects in the foreground and background ie isolation. When viewed on the LCD or Mac this wasn't repeated, only through the EVF.

I'm uber sensitive to scan lines on tvs and projectors (rainbow effect) and have always noticed this a little on the Q's EVF (looking far left to far right quickly at a highlight or histogram does it, momentary red flashes)  so maybe that has something to do with this I don't know but this 'stereo' effect is now gone (diopter is correct too, the little bu**er can get jolted as we all know). In many ways I'm glad of this but what I'm not is that the contrast of the screen or should I say brightness has changed. Blacks are even greyer than before. The only real complaint I have with the Q is the inability to alter the EVF like my Fuji X100 can, how hard can it be?

So for me the EVF is worse (software not hardware obviously) as it makes exposure judgements that much more difficult. A new learning curve.

Oh and one other thing, we've lost one more level of magnification on reviewing though I've always suspected it was greater the 100% so no biggy.

• Like 1

( ... ) the contrast of the screen or should I say brightness has changed. Blacks are even greyer than before. The only real complaint I have with the Q is the inability to alter the EVF like my Fuji X100 can, how hard can it be?

Something indeed has changed, I suspect a contrast and/or gamma setting. I also have the sneaking suspicion that the backlight of the EVF is not adjustable because of lack of a hardware regulator. In other words, the light level of the light source behind the EVF LCD is fixed and cannot be altered by any software at all. This could be the reason that an adjustment option was not there in the first place and it still isn't, despite popular demand and an overall acknowledgement that the EVF is too bright.

Let us hope that I am wrong...

• Like 1

Just got my Q back (in fact the 2nd replacement so actually new) and have installed the new firmware. The main issue I am having, which I'm sure I didn't in 1.1, is that under certain conditions the EVF seems be over exposing by about a stop and is worse in high contrast scenes making it very difficult to judge highlight clipping. It is noticeably different from what you see on the LCD

Edited by viramati
  • Like 2

The FW2.0 is supposed to allow the size of the '1point' focus to be changed - small/medium/large - but the menu selection for 1point focus still only has one option? I read on the 'red dot forum' that you use the 'delete' button to toggle between the sizes, but whatever I try I can't bring up the options.

Can someone explain how to adjust the focus size area please. Thanks.

Here's a screen grab showing how it should look

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by DandySteve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had their Q freeze while using the new 2.0 FW upgrade?  When using the EVF, my Q 'froze' on me the other day (for the first time!) while adjusting the thumbwheel (for exposure compensation).  Battery was at full charge ...

On a related note, what's the best thing to do when this happens?  The camera was still ON (and unresponsive) even after turning it OFF, so I eventually had to open the battery compartment to 'restore' proper functionality.  I didn't see any other way out of this deadlock :unsure:  ... but the camera seemed to function normally afterwards, with no repeat 'hang' ...

Thanks!