Leica Q Firmware-Update 2.0 - now available

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"Except as noted by others the LCD is not turned on when you use the FN or ISO buttons."

I discovered this behaviour too, and it's wrong (imho)!

If you knew how many times I reported this nonsense during the beta test!!!

Hopefully they will make this right in the next firmware.

Edited by Voxen
  • Like 2

By turning this to "off" it disables the red video start button so you don't start making a video by accidentally hitting the button while taking still pictures. I never shoot videos, so I've just turned it off and will probably never turn it on again.

Mmmmm whilst I agree in principle, and I never take video with my Q, (as yet) the video button is lower down than the shutter release button sat on top of the on/off switch, and you really cant mix up t'ween the two   ...  BUT there might just be an occasion, not come across one yet mind, maybe a once in a lifetime occasion, where I might want instant access to video ... so I'll be leaving it as it is methinks.

But that is exactly what I like. I keep my eye on the EVF, use my thumb on the ISO button and adjust.

OK.  There's no reason that Extended mode couldn't use the sensor and display menu/ISO/FN functions on the EVF if your eye is to the camera and on the LCD otherwise.  It's only software (says the retired software engineer :))

• Like 2

Guest jvansmit

By turning this to "off" it disables the red video start button so you don't start making a video by accidentally hitting the button while taking still pictures. I never shoot videos, so I've just turned it off and will probably never turn it on again.

Video is not completely disabled when the video lock is enabled.....it just disables the video button

There are now 4 information displays available on the LCD, and one of them will start a video when the shutter button is pressed even when video lock is enabled. I don't have my camera with me at the moment but I think it's the 3rd information display screen when you cycle through them using the centre button. You will see the little video indicator on the top info bar.

I've already taken a couple of accidental videos ;)

Edited by jvansmit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, first post here! This update is beautiful and brings very interesting features that were missing from the Q, anyway I can't find this point:

Size of 1 Point AF metering area now selectable (Small / Standard / Large)

Where's this option? How can I change it?  :mellow: 

Thanks!

Depress the delete button, you should see a center box with arrows in opposite corners. Using the thumbwheel, you can expand or contract this box to set the size.

• Like 2

Video is not completely disabled when the video lock is enabled.....it just disables the video button

There are now 4 information displays available on the LCD, and one of them will start a video when the shutter button is pressed even when video lock is enabled. I don't have my camera with me at the moment but I think it's the 3rd information display screen when you cycle through them using the centre button. You will see the little video indicator on the top info bar.

I've already taken a couple of accidental videos ;)

My video still works when the Mode Lock Photo/ Video is set to OFF. The only way I can disable the video button is when it is set to ON, as in the video lock is on. I've tried this numerous times with the same result.

I believe the screen you're talking about is the one that shows a "camera with a small x"   next to the battery symbol. When the lock is ON and you depress the video button nothing happens. When you depress the video button with the lock OFF it starts blinking red to let you know that you're taking a video.

Edited by wellfleet

For the following New features # 12.Three modes available for the thumbwheel (Off / AUTO / Exp. Comp.)

Now what should happen when setting is "Auto" for the thumbwheel?

can some one actually check and explain..will appreciate.

Got the correct answer from another Leica Forum. kindly read the following.

There is now a menu which allows you to control the behavior of the thumb wheel during shooting. 

Set to Off, the thumb wheel will not change any settings while shooting (it will still work to adjust menu and playback settings). 

Set to Auto, the thumb wheel will change its function based on your shooting mode. For example, in Shutter Priority or Manual mode, the thumb wheel will adjust your shutter speed in finer increments beyond the dial’s control. Or when in Program mode, the thumb wheel activates Program Shift for advanced exposure adjustment. 

When set to Exp. Comp, the thumb wheel adjusts exposure compensation regardless of shooting mode. Note that you will not be able to access Program Shift, shutter speeds longer than 1 second or faster than 1/2000th when in Exp. Comp mode for the thumb wheel.

• Like 1

BEWARE!

The upgrade to 2.0 defaulted to JPEG-only. A strange default as it has previously defaulted to DNG plus jpeg. Might be a surprise if you go and shoot a session only to find it has not kept DNG!!

(As noted above it also resets the counter and deletes all settings. I do wish they would stop doing this with their upgrades.)

Documentation is terrible, but I am sure they will fix this eventually.

OK.  There's no reason that Extended mode couldn't use the sensor and display menu/ISO/FN functions on the EVF if your eye is to the camera and on the LCD otherwise.  It's only software (says the retired software engineer :))

I fully agree! And it is indeed only software. I am an embedded software engineer so I also agree that it is only software and it should not be too hard.

After some shooting with the new firmware I find a couple things that are left to be desired from the changes. I put that mildly, because it seems that Leica is actually listening to users, which is a rarity. I think that what users (and myself) have found about the EVF extended mode sums up to two points:

1. Half way shutter press should also activate the EVF to prepare for shooting, not just the eye sensor. From my own recent experience I can add that I would like some delay before switching the EVF off again. This allows looking around briefly while shooting. I find myself doing that (traffic...).
  2. Switch on the LCD when pressing FN or ISO buttons, unless the eye is on the viewfinder. This last bit is important to me, I do not want to take my eye from the viewfinder when changing ISO.

About the video button, although it can be useful to disable it, this is still a waste. Most people do not use video on the Q (for good reason) so this button should really be more flexible. For my type of shooting, I would like a press + thumb wheel to switch auto focus modes, but other settings could be just as useful. This should not be to hard to implement, unless the button is wired differently than the others, but that would be odd.

Now that I am on video, I do shoot video, but I use a Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera for that. But carrying all your stuff around is no fun, so it would be great if the Q would at least have a usable video mode. Serious video shooting involves full manual exposure control. Should not be so hard. Then maybe try squeezing out a higher bit rate and providing a flat profile.

Last but not least, I also agree with other users that the ability to name custom profiles would be very welcome. This is also a high priority wish for me. Less important but nice to have would be more than four profiles and the storing and restoring of profiles to/from SD card. It allows for backups and different users (lending out the camera).  That said, the FN button option to switch profiles is really nice indeed.

I also wish it would be possible to be able to define the longest exposure time before ISO is raised when using Auto ISO. At the moment, this is a rather arbitrary 1/60, but I find myself in situations where, say, 1/15 would still be preferable over higher ISO. Not that I use this feature very often, but it would definitely be more useful. 

Oh well, there are other things but these are the most important for me.

Does Leica follow this forum? Would it be useful to email them my list of wishes?

I have read that some users where beta testers. How do you sign up for that?

Thanks for all the contributions, making this a very valuable forum for Leica users (for me, at least)

• Like 1

I have upgraded to FW V2.0 and all good apart from one little issue.

When you have the shutter dial set to "1+" and select "T" for long exposure and press the shutter button, it shows the time in seconds the shutter is open.

The only issue is that after 3-4 seconds the screen goes blank.

Half press the shutter and the screen comes alive again to show the time in seconds the shutter has been open.

Also happens in the count down of noise reduction once the pic has been taken. 

Also happens when selecting say 15 seconds shutter speed. Blanks out every 3-4 seconds.

Annoying. Is this happening to your Leica Q in "T" mode?

When you have the shutter dial set to "1+" and select "T" for long exposure and press the shutter button, it shows the time in seconds the shutter is open.

The only issue is that after 3-4 seconds the screen goes blank.

Half press the shutter and the screen comes alive again to show the time in seconds the shutter has been open.

Also happens in the count down of noise reduction once the pic has been taken. 

Also happens when selecting say 15 seconds shutter speed. Blanks out every 3-4 seconds.

Annoying. Is this happening to your Leica Q in "T" mode?

Yes, tried and confirmed. I never used this before 2.0. Did this behave differently before 2.0?

Yes, tried and confirmed. I never used this before 2.0. Did this behave differently before 2.0?

Pre version 2.0 all you had was a blank screen when using "T" or timed shutter speed.

So at least this is an improvement. Just need to half press the shutter to see where your at time wise every now and then.

Edited by Big T
  • Like 1

My video still works when the Mode Lock Photo/ Video is set to OFF. The only way I can disable the video button is when it is set to ON, as in the video lock is on. I've tried this numerous times with the same result.

I believe the screen you're talking about is the one that shows a "camera with a small x"   next to the battery symbol. When the lock is ON and you depress the video button nothing happens. When you depress the video button with the lock OFF it starts blinking red to let you know that you're taking a video.

My apologies to Jvansmit (post #66), as I just found the video screen to which he was referring. The Photo/Video lock has no effect.   :(  

Edited by wellfleet

I've just found the answer to my own question above. To adjust the size of the focus box, hold the delete button and turn the thumbwheel. There are now three sizes! yay!

Thanks!

I tried to figure that out for like 10 minutes yesterday and gave up. I have to say, holding down Delete and turning the thumbwheel wouldn't have occurred to me as a logical method to adjust the focus box size. 

Bart, I whole-heartedly agree with your two points regarding the EVF. I've started a new thread for 2.1 wish-list and included these two points here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/262971-leica-q-firmware-21-wishlist/?p=3086856

I hope Leica reads this forum. :-)

-alex

After some shooting with the new firmware I find a couple things that are left to be desired from the changes. I put that mildly, because it seems that Leica is actually listening to users, which is a rarity. I think that what users (and myself) have found about the EVF extended mode sums up to two points:

1. Half way shutter press should also activate the EVF to prepare for shooting, not just the eye sensor. From my own recent experience I can add that I would like some delay before switching the EVF off again. This allows looking around briefly while shooting. I find myself doing that (traffic...).
  2. Switch on the LCD when pressing FN or ISO buttons, unless the eye is on the viewfinder. This last bit is important to me, I do not want to take my eye from the viewfinder when changing ISO.