Leica S007 color profiles compared to the old S006

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've recently upgraded to the Leica S007 from the old Leica S006 and I am in two minds if I like or don't like the color of the files............... The files converted to B&W are amazing and far better that what I got on my MM but I am in two minds about the color files. I am mainly concerned about the blues. Take a look at some 006 files below then some oo7 files after that.......especially the blues.

Soo6

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

S007

As you can see there is a distinct difference in the blues, and I am wondering if it is because of the difference in the sensors, one being COMOS and the other being a CCD or just that fact that they were shot at different locations 

Anyways as always I will be interested to hear what you guys think

Neil

• Like 1

Neil , I prefer the blue of CCD.It is known that difference since the M9 (CCD) and M240 (CMOS).

I think with your experience , you noticed this difference where rightly your observation in this thread :)

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

The blues of the sky in the tropics, Japanese Winter, and Swiss Summer are more different than what you will detect between the two sensors.

The altitude and high latitude for the Swiss Summer will be the main culprit here ... try a warming filter in PS ... fade it if needed to see if you can 

offset the major UV blue.

Opinions vary concerning the applicability of UV or haze filters for digital cameras but the offset of WB is pronounce ... closer to 6500K.

Bob

I attach a picture taken with the 006: no colour or saturation adjustments applied!

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

? What do you mean? You started off complaining about S(007) colours (I have not used one) then when shown a blue S(006) image you seem to say that your S(007) is better?

john

Correct.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

The blues of the sky in the tropics, Japanese Winter, and Swiss Summer are more different than what you will detect between the two sensors.

Eion

Just remembered that the shots in Switzerland were shot with a Singh Ray CPL attached.

I'm in two minds about using that puppy again.

• Like 1

Color output from a given camera can of course vary, not only from shooting conditions, but from capture settings and techniques, software conversion, type of profile(s) used, PP white balance, print materials, lighting, etc.

Comparisons require careful control of variables.  If color consistency is the goal, there are means to address that, at least to some degree.  This is similar to myriad prior discussions regarding colors from the M9 versus the M240, etc.

Jeff

• Like 1

Eion

Just remembered that the shots in Switzerland were shot with a Singh Ray CPL attached.

I'm in two minds about using that puppy again.

Likely working perfectly....possible user 'error' (if not intended effect), which is easy to test and correct.  (This situation may have called for a grad filter instead, but can also be addressed in PP, as 007 images do appear overexposed).

Custom profiles for differing lighting conditions can also prove useful.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Likely working perfectly....possible user 'error' (if not intended effect), which is easy to test and correct.  (This situation may have called for a grad filter instead, but can also be addressed in PP, as 007 images do appear overexposed).

Custom profiles for differing lighting conditions can also prove useful.

Jeff

Jeff

Possibly user error.......not so much user error, more user experimenting :) I have never used a CPL before so I was taking the opportunity to use it whenever I had the chance to see the effects that I was getting..............where I did screw up was not taking shots with and without so that I had something to compare................... apples with apples.

I'm still in contact with Hasselblad in the UK and will probably do the dirty deal with them when I am back in the UK for Christmas with family.

I have some exciting stuff coming up with another naked model shoot when I get off the rig. I plan to use my Leica S for that shoot. Hopefully my 120mm with be back from Berlin by then.

I've never used the custom profiles in the Leica S.....I guess I should RTFM :) :) :)

Neil

• Like 1

Think about IR. No sensor is immune although the S cameras should be better than for instance the M240. The M9 and M240 show us that CMOS sensors may be more problematic than equivalent CCD sensors.

A CPL will relatively double the amount of IR contamination, as IR light, if polarized at all, will be in a different plane as visible light - and you are halving the visible light by the CPL filtering.

IR light will create Cyan skies, UV light will also enhance blue. In your shots the greens are not optimal either. Try shooting through both a CPL and UV/IR filter. Yes, I know all about the minuses of stacking filters, but at the angle of light that you will see this effect (basically the sun at 90degree), that is not a real problem.

I'm not sure whether these theoretical considerations explain your problem, but it is worth a try.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Without the CPL

Edited by Neil D

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

This was with my 120mm so it did not have the CPL in front of it as I only have a 82mm CPL

Think about IR. No sensor is immune although the S cameras should be better than for instance the M240. The M9 and M240 show us that CMOS sensors may be more problematic than equivalent CCD sensors.

A CPL will relatively double the amount of IR contamination, as IR light, if polarized at all, will be in a different plane as visible light - and you are halving the visible light by the CPL filtering.

IR light will create Cyan skies, UV light will also enhance blue. In your shots the greens are not optimal either. Try shooting through both a CPL and UV/IR filter. Yes, I know all about the minuses of stacking filters, but at the angle of light that you will see this effect (basically the sun at 90degree), that is not a real problem.

I'm not sure whether these theoretical considerations explain your problem, but it is worth a try.

I originally purchased my S2 for photographing art. The camera proved very difficult to profile perfectly but still was very useful for those occasions when an artist wanted to have a large number of paintings photographed at a reasonable price. I'd call the S(2) color pleasing and, for all but the most critical applications (read very fussy clients), accurate. But the S2 suffered from the same IR blue problems as the BetterLight scanback that was my main digital capture device. Interestingly enough both sensors were made by Kodak.

After trying several solutions to oversaturated and magenta contaminated blues, I ended up going into selective color in photoshop and subtracting a small amount of magenta in blue. This provided a quick work around. I tried writing an action but found that the exact amount needing to be subtracted varied too much.

There is an explanation as to why this occurs in a white paper found in technical support on the BetterLight website. 

http://www.betterlight.com/downloads/whitePaper/wp_color_accurate_photo.pdf

This color shift is a minor issue and stacking IR filters also works but leads to inconveniently long exposures. At the same time, a richer (redder) blue is part of what gives the CCD sensor its distinctive look. You can see an example of the oversaturated and magenta cast blues in JPK's seascape photo posted above. I like the CCD look but it can be a bit too postcardish at times. (I'm not saying JPK's photo is postcardish. It is rather nice.)

Edited by Printmaker
  • Like 6

Fascinating thread but... in order to really see the difference between CCD (006) and CMOS (007) sensors, you need both cameras at same locations with same lens and no filter or setting adjustments..

If someone can do the experiment and show the representative files, we will all profit...

Albert   :)  :)  :)

• Like 1