R apo 180/2.8 ROM variations

MEB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am interested in obtaining an R apo 180/2.8 ROM to use on my SL.  I don't know much about R lenses but I have learned that there were apparently two versions of this lens: the R1 and R2 versions.  Can anyone tell me what the differences were between these two versions?

Thank you,

Mark

There was a relatively late modification of the ROM version to permit use of the 1.4X extender. The original version did not have sufficient clearance to permit its use.

But more importantly for your purposes, if you wish to use the lens on an SL,  it will require additional cams and removal of the ROM chip in order to function properly. ROM lenses have the ROM chip together with the third R-cam only.

There was a relatively late modification of the ROM version to permit use of the 1.4X extender. The original version did not have sufficient clearance to permit its use.

But more importantly for your purposes, if you wish to use the lens on an SL,  it will require additional cams and removal of the ROM chip in order to function properly. ROM lenses have the ROM chip together with the third R-cam only.

It will work fine on the Leicaflex SL if the SL's second metering cam is added to the lens and the camera's flange is modified to accept R-only lenses.  The ROM chip does not need to be removed.  In the USA DAG knows how to do this.

Edited by wildlightphoto
  • Like 1

I'm sorry, I was not clear in my question.  I meant that I have the new Leica SL(601) not the Leicaflex.  However, I think that masja answered my question.  The later revision appears to have been an adjustment to allow use of the 1.4 extender.

Thank you both.

Mark

I'm sorry, I was not clear in my question.  I meant that I have the new Leica SL(601) not the Leicaflex.  However, I think that masja answered my question.  The later revision appears to have been an adjustment to allow use of the 1.4 extender.

Thank you both.

Mark

Ah, thanks Mark. That surely shows my own default mindset! I've got the later version of this lens, and it works fine on my M with the Leica R-M adapter and using the R lens selection menu. Presumably the same would apply to the "new" SL, whose  R adapter is now becoming available. I've no idea whether this adapter can read anything from the ROM chip to pass on to the camera, or whether it's completely "dumb".

• Like 1

I got a v1 since '99, never tried a v2 but, according to mr. Puts and Leica brochures & technical service, the only difference between the two is the 1.4x-extender compatibility (by moving onwards the last element, too close to lens mount in v1 to accept the protruding front element of 1.4x apo extender). Back in the days v1s could be modded, but I don't know if they still do it, after the end of R system.

By the way, a truly awesome lens in my opinion, and still very good with 2x apo extender.

Edited by Steve McGarrett
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Back in the days v1s could be modded, but I don't know if they still do it, after the end of R system.

I sent my v1 to have it modified in September 2015.  According to the person (in Solms, I believe) with whom I communicated at the time, my lens got the last set of parts available for the conversion.

• Like 2

Hi All!

Please post some picture of R Apo 180 f 2.8 on SL 601, eps for the portrait and landscape!

Have a nice weekend!

Thanks!

SL with R 180 APO + APO-Extender-R 2X . . .

EXIF on the photo is wrong because I forgot to change the lens selection in the camera.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

tritentrue, on 27 Aug 2017 - 09:13, said:tritentrue, on 27 Aug 2017 - 09:13, said:

I sent my v1 to have it modified in September 2015.  According to the person (in Solms, I believe) with whom I communicated at the time, my lens got the last set of parts available for the conversion.

You're not making yourself many friends by saying this here... :D  :p

You're not making yourself many friends by saying this here... :D  :p

:D In that case, I probably shouldn't add that the converted lens and APO Extender 1.4X make absolutely spectacular pictures!

One with the TL2 . . .

• Like 2

SL with 180mm f/2.8 APO-Elmarit-R, 1/1000@f/5.6, ISO 200, cropped heavily (>70%)...

Yet another piece of R glass capable of a seemingly limitless amount of detail . . . 

Edited by tritentrue
  • Like 2

No doubt about it... it's very good still with Apo 2x, with the 1,4x should be stunning...

Steve.

It sounds like you're suggesting that the 1.4x APO-Extender-R would give better results than the 2x APO-Extender-R.  If so would you very kindly explain why you think so and if not please accept my apologies for misinterpreting your comment.  (I have two of the 2x but I've never owned or used the 1.4x but I'd always understood them to be equal in optical quality etc.)

Pete.

• Like 1

I use the 1.4X APO and 2X APO with both the 180mm f/2.8 APO and the 280mm f/4 APO regularly, and all combinations (on SL and TL2) appear to produce sharp images with superb contrast and color, even when examined at full magnification.  

With image quality at such a high level, I don't think much about which extender or combination might be "better," but rather about which combination would be more suitable for whatever I happen to be shooting.

• Like 2

I'VE GOT THE 180/2.8 Apo ROM, the 280/4 Apo ROM and the 2x Apo Extender ROM, so I've never felt the need for a 1.4 Extender. It is something I would be slightly interested in trying out though (for example comparing, say, a 180 + 2x with a 280 + 1.4x). I suspect though that in practice any differences would be small enough for me not to worry about them, being swamped by the practicalities of image taking and deficiencies in my own technique.

Am I correct also in thinking that the 1.4 Apo was never made in a ROM version? The ROM version of the 2x Apo Extender is "smart" in the it contains a small microprocessor that talks to the lens on one side, and an R8/9 on the other, relaying the correct aperture figure to the camera, which I do find helpful.

• Like 1

farnz, on 29 Aug 2017 - 02:08, said:

Steve.

It sounds like you're suggesting that the 1.4x APO-Extender-R would give better results than the 2x APO-Extender-R.  If so would you very kindly explain why you think so and if not please accept my apologies for misinterpreting your comment.  (I have two of the 2x but I've never owned or used the 1.4x but I'd always understood them to be equal in optical quality etc.)

Pete.

Generally speaking, a 1.4x converter provides better results than a 2x converter, yes.

However, like someone else has said, the apo-extender 1.4x was initially developed for the (first version of) 280/2.8; later, Leica said it was also very good with a few more recent telephoto lenses such as 280/4, 400/2.8, Apo-Modular system etc... so in this case I don't know how it performs in real life with Apo 180/2.8: my Apo-Elmarit is an unmodded v1, so unfortunately I can't fit the 1.4x extender on it.

• Like 1

Am I correct also in thinking that the 1.4 Apo was never made in a ROM version?

Yes because there was no room for the ROM in the mount. It was the answer given by Leica when I had my R 280/2,8 ROMed to work with my R Apo Extender 2X ROM.

The ROM version of the 2x Apo Extender is "smart" in the it contains a small microprocessor that talks to the lens on one side, and an R8/9 on the other, relaying the correct aperture figure to the camera, which I do find helpful.

To bad it doesn't work like that on the SL.

It works better with firmware 3.0 than before now that the SL let you choose 560/5,6 when you use a R 280/2,8 ROM + R Apo-Extender 2X ROM (as an example).

Before that upgrade, you couldn't choose any lens in the list when using ROMed accessories like the R Macro-Adapter or the R Apo-Extender 2X.

The focal length assumed by the SL was 0mm. That was a problem in Auto ISO.

Edited by Leicaiste
  • Like 2