50mm f/2.8 Elmar-M Factory Six Bit Coded?

kenf

I've run into conflicting information on this. Were any of the 50mm f/2.8 Elmar-M built with factory six bit coding, or are all of them converted?

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/50mm_f/2.8_Elmar-M

Some were factory 6bit coded - I have them in both black and brass chrom versions, they were delivered with the black and silver packaging box like current Leica M lenses

• Like 2

Some were factory 6bit coded - I have them in both black and brass chrom versions, they were delivered with the black and silver packaging box like current Leica M lenses

Thanks! Yours are 6 bit? If so, could you post the general serial number range of the black version to help me in my search for one? Edited by kenf

Unfortunately the black version is at Wetzlar at the moment but here are my silver copies, the first and last are both factory 6bit coded. The one in the middle is not factory 6bit coded and came with the white packaging box, which was the default before Leica changed it to the current black-silver design.

21a5593c1fb164f84f6480d913745fcd.jpg

Here's an image of the packaging, the box clearly shows the 6bit coding logo towards the lower-right.

2a972a29802727f972e5e9950e4bb5e1.jpg

Hope that helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... and I found one! Many thanks for the help with the serial numbers, it was invaluable.

One other thing you might watch out for. One that was sent back to Leica to be six bit coded from a previous batch. Just ask the seller if it was or is coded.

• Like 2