Why not firmware update to extend long exposure time?

Giulio Zanni

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Also the Leica Q is getting a firmware update which extends the long exposure time to two minutes. The MM1 had 240 sec. max long exposure. The CMOS sensor allows for longer exposures than the CCD sensor. The SL can expose up to 30 minutes. Should be reasonable to expect that Leica will extend the long exposure time also for the 240/246 or should I look somewhere else?

Giulio

• Like 1

I agree. Not something I need but wouldn't mind having for future needs. I still haven't upgraded to the latest firmware due to problems I have read. Just afraid I would be one of the unlucky ones and have to send my camera in for repair! Will wait until winter and do it at a Leica store so they are responsible if doesn't work.

I agree. Not something I need but wouldn't mind having for future needs. I still haven't upgraded to the latest firmware due to problems I have read. Just afraid I would be one of the unlucky ones and have to send my camera in for repair! Will wait until winter and do it at a Leica store so they are responsible if doesn't work.

I do need it, but I would not want to buy another camera just for that, but I am afraid that if it won't come at all, either as a firmware update or as a new camera I will have to look somewhere else. My point is that this is not a huge thing, almost all camera have long exposure possibilities nowadays, even some point and shot...

Edited by giulioz
  • Like 1

I do a lot of night shooting and usually the second shot for noise compensation is a bit annoying.

If you want "super long" how long does that second shot need to be?

I always wished for some sort of look up table for sensor noise would be useful, so no need for the second shot.

for > 10 min, I use my good old M6, so don't look somewhere else, just get yourself a nice used Leica M film and you can use your lenses

I do a lot of night shooting and usually the second shot for noise compensation is a bit annoying.

If you want "super long" how long does that second shot need to be?

I always wished for some sort of look up table for sensor noise would be useful, so no need for the second shot.

for > 10 min, I use my good old M6, so don't look somewhere else, just get yourself a nice used Leica M film and you can use your lenses

Film is over for me, I would not go back + I want live view

ha ha ha , good joke ...

live view with more than 240 sec exposure time

agree with film not a real solution, unless you scan the negatives, but still the second exposure with M digital slows you down a lot

Edited by esquire53

Advertisement (gone after registration)

ha ha ha , good joke ...

live view with more than 240 sec exposure time

I need live view for critical focus and composing off a tripod, as I do a lot of focus stacking and other stuff. The display gets darkened during exposure, even if there are cameras like theOlympus OM-D EM-5 II that let you see the long exposure building up on the rear display so you can switch it off when the level of exposure pleases you. As a turn around, you could always stuck 5/6 1 minute exposures in photoshop but with moving elements, like clouds, it gets tricky.

Edited by giulioz

I do need it, but I would not want to buy another camera just for that, but I am afraid that if it won't come at all, either as a firmware update or as a new camera I will have to look somewhere else. My point is that this is not a huge thing, almost all camera have long exposure possibilities nowadays, even some point and shot...

Well, let's see which one comes first. The firmware update for the 246 or the Hasselblad Xd1 I have on order will arrive! If it's got longer exposure, will let you know.

Would be great. This limitation is one of the most annoying of the M. The dark frame makes it even worse. So I have to keep my analog M with me, just for things that are impossible to do with the M 240/246.... That's ridicules.

• Like 3