R4 Electronics failures

pridbor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So gentle forum members, with your help and guidance I now have the R4 loaded with a film and new batteries are installed. Led test light works, down pointing triangle blinks?, m A in circle and A in square are all lit steady, and the P and T blink when I half depress "the ausloeser".

Ok so I just figured out that the P and T are still when in f16.

I also observe the "timing LEDs" move up/ down following what I point at.

So here's the question: what do I check/look for to verify that the electronics is working as it should????

Why do I ask? Well I have read here and elsewhere on the web that the R4 suffers from electronics malaise, so I'm wondering if mine is also affected.

Thanks for your continued support!!

Preben

Fair enough suggestion, and I will oblige as I do believe that it's ready to go.

But since my R4 has a serial number a little less than the 1 600 000 by a few thousands, and "people" say and write that these cameras are prone to fail, I can't help myself from speculating what types of failures would be considered typical.

Thanks

Preben

Hi Preben!

The biggest issue with these R cameras is in my opinion a sticky mirror release magnet. The shutter won´t release in this case. A lot of people will probably call this "mechanical issue" an "electronical". (by the way: it´s not difficult to clean the magnet; we had this matter already here in the forum)

If your camera works after over 30years, I don't think you will get an electronic problem soon, even with a R4 wit a serial number below 1600000.

Could even be the case, the camera was in a service before, if this has been an issue...I had an have in use R4/5 cameras in use and they are all working fine...

So, just use your camera and the results wil be most probably fine.

Have you got the manual? If not, I would get a download. Helps to have one, especially, if you are not familiar with the R cameras.

regards,

Torsten

• Like 1

Get  a  manual  as  suggested  above  . Then  you  know  you  are  wrong  the   camera  properly  and  you  can  get  the  most out of your   camera. 

If  I  used an  R4   I  would   have  to  remind  myself   how  to use it   properly.

• Like 1

Hi Gents,

Yes I do have the manuals, originals even, found them Yesterday in my Garage I bought the R3 in Frankfurt about 1976, and my uncle bought the R4 in Switzerland so they are both 1st hand owners so to say as I'm really the second as he gave it to me.

I found a manual for the R5, don't know why I have one, and I tested the R4 by following the various modes. The shutter sounds nice and like I recall it so we will see how it behaves after I have shot a couple of rolls of film.

Thanks all for your help and encouragement!

And Hi Torsten, would you happen to be Danish (too) ? And located far away "from home" like myself? I see you in SA and Torsten being a good old Danish name? Just curious

Preben

Edited by pridbor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In September 1981 - Wireless World showed the Leica R4 on the front cover:

The camera contained a revolutionary Ferranti ULA - forerunner of todays FPGAs.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I remember reading it back in the day. 

Thanks to internet it's now available on-line:

The article wont help you fix the camera - but is an interesting snapshot to electronics technology in the early '80s.

Edited by FrozenInTime
  • Like 2

Hi Preben!

No, not danish, born in old Germany  :)  My name was just popular in Germany in the sixties....

Have a R3 too. Like the camera, but unfortunatelly, I don´t use it not very often...too much competition from the SL/Sl2 and the R9....

Enjoy your R´s...still nice cameras!

• Like 1