35 Lux vs cron

asr3510

Ah come on. Testing lenses is not a science and it is extremely easy to do.

Not really, not without an optical bench, proper targets,  MTF testing gear etc. Erwin Puts regularly uses the Zeiss laboratory, I think.

If you want to do a quick and dirty real-life comparison, it is a lot simpler, but that is not proper testing, although Internet blogs will present it as such.

And even then testing quality varies widely, Sean Reid is quite rigorous, Ming Thein honest about his methods, Steve Huff enthusiastic about every new shiny thing, the rest - better not relied upon...

• Like 3

Not really, not without an optical bench, proper targets, MTF testing gear etc. Erwin Puts regularly uses the Zeiss laboratory, I think.

If you want to do a quick and dirty real-life comparison, it is a lot simpler, but that is not proper testing, although Internet blogs will present it as such.

And even then testing quality varies widely, Sean Reid is quite rigorous, Ming Thein honest about his methods, Steve Huff enthusiastic about every new shiny thing, the rest - better not relied upon...

Don't forget Ken Rockwell! :D

I know his tests aren't rigorous, but he does a good job of making tables comparing specs.

Edited by michaelwj

This thread is silly.

Do those who promote the latest and 'greatest' lenses really think the lens will make a difference?

And what is difference? The lens will not change your place in reality. What you point at is all

that matters, really. No?

Edited by pico
  • Like 4

This thread is silly.Do those who promote the latest and 'greatest' lenses really think the lens will make a difference?And what is difference? The lens will not change your place in reality. What you point at is allthat matters, really. No?

There are no silly threads. Some are just more inane than others. A lens makes all the difference in the world.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are no silly threads. Some are just more inane than others. A lens makes all the difference in the world.

You are right. Perhaps when discussing Leica things we could use Leica's part numbers.

It is a small burden, should not owners know their part numbers?

Edited by pico

Hi Everyone. I happen to have the 35 Summicron ASPH (not the latest updated 2016 version) and the Summilux FLE with me and I've done a quick comparison on my tumblr: http://jhky.tumblr.com/post/148226778472/quick-comparison-between-right-35-summilux-asph. I'm showing a few on-screen enlargements at F2 for your reference. I think the result is pretty obvious. Left is Summilux and all shots took on M9, ISO160 mounted on tripod. Focus point is at the centre of the frame and subject distance is about 5 meters. You'll see the whole picture, enlargement of the lower left corner and the centre of the frame there. I've comparisons up to F8 and I'll probably post them online later today.

Hello :)

Could you please clarify which side - which lens? Above, in your post, you say the images on the LEFT are taken with the 'Lux but on the site the opposite is said. FWIW, I prefer the images on the left.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I can see myself ending up in that position but still need to try a 35 for a bit to get there

I'm also in that position - I have a 50 lux ASPH - a 28 lux ASPH and I cant decide whether to go latest 35 cron or latest 35 lux when I've only got room for the camera and lens attached- then i'm done ;)