35 Lux vs cron

asr3510

Sorry but I'd like to be a bit mean.

You say the photographers are simply irrelevant and the lens is really great/incredible and made this phantastic exhibition possible.

Isn't this extremely naiv ? Imagine looking back to what you wrote after several years (in the future) ....  

You will probably also agree:  "how foolish", must have been reading mainly marketing stuff. Time for a walk and get some fresh oxigen to the cells.

Do not get angry, just forget it. It is not important. But understand that time and experience changes many opinions. So for "old farts" INCREDIBLE lenses are just cold coffee. (while remarkable photographers are not)

No, i'm not naive in this IMHO. Just watch the exhibition and you will know what I mean. IMHO you cannot judge this, if you have not seen the pictures in live print on these enlargements. But maybe the remark was not understandable, so maybe it was naiv of me to think you would, or could.

Of course the photographer was the one who invented the pictures, but this lens made it possible to see such a detail. It's not marketing stuff. It's just a great lens of an extreme good quality for the purpose. btw. How old do you have to be , to be an old fart?

You are right. I am afraid. Afraid of the newbie experts and their superlative terms that mean absolutely nothing. Terms such as microcontrast, macro-contrast, a lens' footprint, a lens' fingerprint, bokeh, dry bokeh and so on.

Hilarious. Discussion about lenses scares you. Don't go out at night, it's dark. My 5 year old finds that scary. :)

I never knew lenses had so many limbs, or do they have fingers on their feet?

Sorry Paulus, but this is the typical stupid answer. I did not say anything against the exhibition, so simply stop this nonsense. I simply said it is naiv to  applaud the lens and forget the people taking the pictures.

That's all.

And I do not expect an answer, but rather that you look back in 5 years and maybe then you will understand. Or maybe not, I do not care.

Stop this nonsense. Bye. Adieu! This is not a fruitful discussion. So I stop it .

You are right. I am afraid. Afraid of the newbie experts and their superlative terms that mean absolutely nothing. Terms such as microcontrast, macro-contrast, a lens' footprint, a lens' fingerprint, bokeh, dry bokeh and so on.

Just in case you care;

Macro and micro contrast: I prefer global and local contrast, pretty obvious IMHO

Footprint would be its size

Bokeh would be the quality of the out of focus areas

Dry Bokeh I have never heard before but I assume is bokeh that hasn't been drinking :)

Fingerprint is the overall effect of all the above (except footprint) plus other aberrations on the image.

Talking about superlative, lucky we're not wine tasting ;)

Sorry Paulus, but this is the typical stupid answer. I did not say anything against the exhibition, so simply stop this nonsense. I simply said it is naiv to  applaud the lens and forget the people taking the pictures.

That's all.

And I do not expect an answer, but rather that you look back in 5 years and maybe then you will understand. Or maybe not, I do not care.

Stop this nonsense. Bye. Adieu! This is not a fruitful discussion. So I stop it .

I agree with you, that this is not a fruitful discussion. To much " typical stupid" and " naive " it also does sound a little angry and patronizing to me. So let's agree to disagree and stop it.

So lets go back to the OP question: I think the 35mm summicron asph is a remarkable good lens. It's versitile, perfect for landscapes, small, great for portaits without any distortion. The design is 20 years old now,but still good enough for me.

Just in case you care;

Macro and micro contrast: I prefer global and local contrast, pretty obvious IMHO

Dry Bokeh I have never heard before but I assume is bokeh that hasn't been drinking :)

Fingerprint is the overall effect of all the above (except footprint) plus other aberrations on the image.

Wine, another scam.

About macro and micro contrast, think about it: there is no macro contrast without micro contrast. No micro contrast without macro contrast. One cannot go without the other. It's contrast, period.

Anything else than simple contrast is total and absolute Bs.

Ok ok, I wanna be cool. I am now creating a new term: VECTORIAL CONTRAST. That is a shade better than macro and micro together.

Shazam! VECTORIAL CONTRAST!

• Like 1

Just in case you care;

Are you serious or satirical? I've never read a funnier post.

Bit of distortion is easy to correct in PP. Only issue with 35/2 asph is CA imho. For better results there i prefer the ZM 35/2.8 but it is slower with more vignetting and is even more contrasty. Matter of tastes as usual. I can just say that among my seven 35mm M lenses (Leica 35/1.4 FLE, 35/1.4 pre-asph, 35/2 asph, 35/2 v4, 35/2.5, 35/2.8 & ZM 35/2.8), i choose the 35/2 asph when i travel light generally. FWIW.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

Wine, another scam.

About macro and micro contrast, think about it: there is no macro contrast without micro contrast. No micro contrast without macro contrast. One cannot go without the other. It's contrast, period.

Anything else than simple contrast is total and absolute Bs.

Ok ok, I wanna be cool. I am now creating a new term: VECTORIAL CONTRAST. That is a shade better than macro and micro together.

Shazam! VECTORIAL CONTRAST!

Nice!

I hear those Voigtlander lenses have pretty good Vectorial contrast. You can see it in the strong diagonals, especially with the color-skopar range :)

When i started this thread i wasnt expecting so much back and forth.

But just picked my new 35mm summicron today. but havent had a chance to take it out shooting yet. I decided on the cron because im taking a chance that leica will come out with a new M at photokina and im assuming it will have better high ISO performance than the current M240. Thought id save a few dollars and some weight with the cron and be prepared when hopefully the new M comes out.

Thnak you every one for your input

• Like 4

To the OP : please rate the conversation in this total thread in its usefulness in making your choice (scale 1-5 1 is bad 5 is good).

If you rate, we expect that you will be rewarded with better thread conversations in the future which will be more helpful for you to buy your next Leica lenses !!! :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Hi Everyone. I happen to have the 35 Summicron ASPH (not the latest updated 2016 version) and the Summilux FLE with me and I've done a quick comparison on my tumblr: http://jhky.tumblr.com/post/148226778472/quick-comparison-between-right-35-summilux-asph. I'm showing a few on-screen enlargements at F2 for your reference. I think the result is pretty obvious. Left is Summilux and all shots took on M9, ISO160 mounted on tripod. Focus point is at the centre of the frame and subject distance is about 5 meters. You'll see the whole picture, enlargement of the lower left corner and the centre of the frame there. I've comparisons up to F8 and I'll probably post them online later today.

Welcome to the forum ☺ Not sure which is which but the pics on the right look out of focus. Did you use an EVF?

Not really as there's no EVF on M9. Focus was as good as my eyesight allows. But sharpness for both lenses are about the same at f5.6 at the centre of the frame, which is where the focus was.