35 Lux vs cron

asr3510

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am going to purchase a new 35mm for my kit.

I have the 50 lux and 28 elmar on an m240.

I consider myself an enthusiasts so IQ for both is perfect for my needs. but in terms of low light situations, practically speaking is there a major difference taking into the slightly higher difficultly of focusing in low light. IS there a major functional improvement from f1.4 to f2. i definitely see it from 2.8 to 1.4. Just trying to decide if its worth the extra dollars.

Thank you all for you help 

There is a big jump from 50 Lux to 50 Lux ASPH.   

28 2.8 elmar  ASPH is an extremely good lens.  Previous versions were quite nice.  

It is impossible to know what versions of the 50 & 28 you have.

I have the current version of the 50 lux and the previous version of the 28 Elmar

As you already have one ultra-fast lens in the 50mm 1.4 asph, there is much sense in opting for the Summicron: small, light, but fast enough for most situations, especially with the higher ISO capability of the M240 sensor.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree with Edward, the 35 lux (pre fle) is so good in terms of performance but I usually end up using my 35 cron purely due to size. Also agree with Michael, I for one prefer the subtler rendering of the 50 cron compared to the lux but I prefer the 35 lux over the cron. Choose your preference on lens character and ergonomics rather than technical performance. They draw very differently.

• Like 2

If you can easily afford the Lux and truly need, as opposed to want, the extra stop, then by all means buy it. If it is a stretch, go with the Cron - seems really simple enough when you boil it down to basics.

I would recommend one Summilux and one Summicron for variety. They all have distinct character, as do the older versions vs the new. That being said, my favorite lens on my M246 is the pre-Aspherical 50 Summicron v4. Great littl compact lens. So I would get rid of your 50 Summilux for that, and get the 35 Summilux or 28 Summilux if can afford it. But really, look at a lot of examples of these lenses and if possible try them out before buying. It is really a personal taste decision more than what is the best lens. Good luck with that!

Are you talking about 35 Lux FLE vs 35 Cron Asph? If so, can you be a bit more specific?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, fle vs asph. The fle is almost the perfect lens. The asph has a very wavy field curvature. If you read the reviews at diglloyd, reidreviews, it's not ideal for landscapes and focus, recompose at close range.

My how things change.

The 35 cron asph used to be the ultimate clinical and characterless lens par excellence, according to Mr, Internet. It now has a wavy field curvature ala the V4? I guess this now makes it a lens with a unique personality, something it was never known for except for its ultimate perfection.

What we're seeing here is simple: new Leica users coing up with their own grain of expert salt.

For older Leica users this is all so funny to witness. Thanks Mr.Internet!!

• Like 4

My how things change.

The 35 cron asph used to be the ultimate clinical and characterless lens par excellence, according to Mr, Internet. It now has a wavy field curvature ala the V4? I guess this now makes it a lens with a unique personality, something it was never known for except for its ultimate perfection.

What we're seeing here is simple: new Leica users coing up with their own grain of expert salt.

This info is from paying review sites, with actual test shots to prove it, and from Leica's own published MTF.

I'm not a self proclaimed expert newbie as you accuse me to be.

Edited by edwardkaraa
  • Like 1

My how things change.

Maybe it is time now for a 35mm Summicron APO? We'll know more in a couple of weeks.

My how things change.

Things can only be compared to the past, not the future. Clinical perfection on film is full of character on a digital sensor.

Soon the summilux FLE will be surpassed, and will become loaded with character.

Yes, fle vs asph. The fle is almost the perfect lens. The asph has a very wavy field curvature. If you read the reviews at diglloyd, reidreviews, it's not ideal for landscapes and focus, recompose at close range.

I'm sorry but I don't agree. Neither does Erwin Puts.

"The Summicron-M ASPH 35 mm at full aperture gives quite comparable performance to the Summilux ASPH at f/2.0, with a very high contrast image over a large part of the picture field. The finest details are rendered a frac- tion softer at the edges and with some- what lower micro contrast. The Summilux-M ASPH at f/2.0 is slightly ahead of the Summicron according to the MTF graphs in the outer zones. The better flare suppression of the Summicron produces a slightly tighter overall image. I would prefer to call it a difference in fingerprint or characteris- tic of image rendering. The Summicron-M ASPH shows a pattern of extremely high quality on axis, becom- ing less so when going outwards to the corners. The difference between the available image quality on axis and in the field is quite gradual. The Summilux-M ASPH at its full aperture of f/1.4 has the same pattern, but stopped down to f/2.0 shows very even cover- age over most of the field. That is re- markable after only one stop."

Edited by TRIago
  • Like 1

I'm sorry but I don't agree. Neither does Erwin Puts.

"The Summicron-M ASPH 35 mm at full aperture gives quite comparable performance to the Summilux ASPH at f/2.0, with a very high contrast image over a large part of the picture field. The finest details are rendered a frac- tion softer at the edges and with some- what lower micro contrast. The Summilux-M ASPH at f/2.0 is slightly ahead of the Summicron according to the MTF graphs in the outer zones. The better flare suppression of the Summicron produces a slightly tighter overall image. I would prefer to call it a difference in fingerprint or characteris- tic of image rendering. The Summicron-M ASPH shows a pattern of extremely high quality on axis, becom- ing less so when going outwards to the corners. The difference between the available image quality on axis and in the field is quite gradual. The Summilux-M ASPH at its full aperture of f/1.4 has the same pattern, but stopped down to f/2.0 shows very even cover- age over most of the field. That is re- markable after only one stop."

You might not agree but Puts does agree :)

This info is from paying review sites, with actual test shots to prove it, and from Leica's own published MTF.

I'm not a self proclaimed expert newbie as you accuse me to be.

I was really accusing Mr. Internet, actually.

I still remember how the 50 lux asph was despised for its clinical look, during the M8 and early M9 days. Then came all the Canikon HCB wannabes with their pixel-peeping sharpness-a-tout-prix values.

Somehow along the way the 35 cron asph switched from sterile to characteristic.

IMO, this is vital for the Leica fora: each lens has to have something special, a unique virtue. This said virtue is far from the truth as it varies over time depending on what some shady internet expert decides to say about it.

Kai, ming thein, lensrentals, steve huff, overgard and all that gang? Puh-lease c.o.m.e-o.n!

• Like 2

I was really accusing Mr. Internet, actually.

I still remember how the 50 lux asph was despised for its clinical look, during the M8 and early M9 days. Then came all the Canikon HCB wannabes with their pixel-peeping sharpness-a-tout-prix values.

Somehow along the way the 35 cron asph switched from sterile to characteristic.

IMO, this is vital for the Leica fora: each lens has to have something special, a unique virtue. This said virtue is far from the truth as it varies over time depending on what some shady internet expert decides to say about it.

Kai, ming thein, lensrentals, steve huff, overgard and all that gang? Puh-lease c.o.m.e-o.n!

I see what you mean, and fully understand it. However, the wavy field curvature of the cron can be easily detected in the test shots and even in the MTF, so it's not something that the reviewers invented.

It doesn't undermine the cron in any way, as it still produces great results. It's just something to keep in mind while shooting.