Brand New Leica M240, Focusing Arm Stuck

JimX

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster. So five days ago I had the pleasure of purchasing a brand new M240. After shooting today with the 50 Summarit, I noticed that the rangefinder focus window would not move when focusing. The focus window would pop back after fiddling with the focus. I can also hear the focus arm sticking as I focus to infinity and then back. Upon further inspection, it is clear that the focusing arm seems to be sticking to something.

I don't understand how a problem like this could've already presented itself after just four days. Would I have to send it back to Leica for repairs and wait a month for it to be fixed?

Thanks

It's probably something very minor that any local technician can fix in no time. Something must be stuck in the roller. Try to examine it with a magnifying glass to see if you can locate the problem.

I've looked closely at the lever, but can't seem to locate the problem. It feels and sounds like it's scrapping something throughout the whole movement, though I can still see excess lubrication on the pivot point. 

What country? In the uk it would be straight back to the supplying dealer for an exchange or full refund. The dealer has to take responsibility.

I purchased the camera in Hong Kong. I will try to get in touch with the dealer tomorrow. 

Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster. So five days ago I had the pleasure of purchasing a brand new M240. After shooting today with the 50 Summarit, I noticed that the rangefinder focus window would not move when focusing. The focus window would pop back after fiddling with the focus. I can also hear the focus arm sticking as I focus to infinity and then back. Upon further inspection, it is clear that the focusing arm seems to be sticking to something.

I don't understand how a problem like this could've already presented itself after just four days. Would I have to send it back to Leica for repairs and wait a month for it to be fixed?

Thanks

It may or may not make a difference but make sure you mount the lens by letting it click into place, don't keep your finger on the lens release button which can cause it to go beyond it's normal locking point. In the same way it can cause the wrong frame line to appear some lenses can foul the rangefinder arm if they go over centre beyond the 'click'.

Steve

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It may or may not make a difference but make sure you mount the lens by letting it click into place, don't keep your finger on the lens release button which can cause it to go beyond it's normal locking point. In the same way it can cause the wrong frame line to appear some lenses can foul the rangefinder arm if they go over centre beyond the 'click'.

Steve

I had the Same problem. I have sent it to Leica and they fixed it. My dealer in Berlin told me it could occur if the lens is not carefully moved to the bayonett (and then you may hit the roler arm).

I am usually pretty careful when mounting the lens, and I never hold down the lens release. Good news is that I went back to the dealer and they ended up replacing it. The new one has no issues so far!  

Appreciate the replies.