Leica X Vario after two weeks!

imported_steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I purchased a new Leica X Vario camera two weeks ago so I decided that I should have all the accessories for it. 

The first accessory I purchased was the Leica Hand Grip F/X Vario Digital Camera MFR #18766. The second item was a 

Leica Finger Loop F/MF Handgrip M/M (Medium Size) MFR#14647.

When they arrived I fit them together on my Leica X Vario.

I had to sort of push my fingers through the Finger Loop and twist the Finger Loop counterclockwise and I could hardly 

reach the shutter release button. I tried it a few times and then I could hardly get my fingers out of the expensive Finger Loop!!

To top it off the palm of my right hand pressed on the Directions Pad and the settings window opened!! In order to hold the camera with 

the Leica Hand Grip F/X Vario Digital Camera MFR #18766 the palm of your hand presses on the Directions Pad switches from the image you want to take a

photo of to the settings of your camera in the LCD window!!

There should be a place on the back of this Leica X Vario MFR#18430 where your thumb could help grip the camera and keep your hand from pressing on the 

Directions Pad.

I had no idea when I purchased this Leica X Vario MFR#18430 camera that I would have to purchase a number of Leica accessories in order to take a photo??

I am not sure what to do now?

Thank you.

steven

Steven, you do not need to purchase accessories to take photos with your X-Vario.

The only recommended item would be a spare battery, thats al you need in principle.

And for the loop, you should have tried it in a shop, there are 3 sizes, and indeed the M size was also for me a little on the small side.

So get a spare battery, return the grip and start enjoying this wonderful camera!

Good Luck!

John

I have been having a great time with my recent X-Vario with no accessories except a used Olympus EVF and a memory card.. I got a fairly nice leather case from eBay, with a removable front cover. When it is removed it works just like the protector and was much cheaper than the Leica case at 59.90. So far the X-Vario has met all my needs although I will probably get a UV filter and an after market lens hood, ultimately.

• Like 1

On very brief acquaintance with the XV (all of two days!) I would say that though the only accessory you actually need is an SD card, handling of the camera is greatly improved by either the grip or the protector. Mine arrived with both, and I think I marginally prefer the protector as it does what it says on the tin as well as giving a much better hold. (It has a slight raised ridge on the front which acts like a grip.) It also looks very smart. You certainly don't need both.

Hello imported_steven,

If your X Vario is a second-hand device, it is possible that he did not receive the last update 1.1.

She allows, among others, to neutralize the back pad not to activate him involuntarily.

Guy

Steven, were you familiar with digital cameras before purchasing the X Vario? I found the camera to be very user friendly after adding the handgrip and an external viewfinder. I especially enjoy positioning my left hand under the lens to support the camera and control focal length and focus, just like in the old days of manual film cameras.

Before digital came along, I used mostly manual, mechanical\ film cameras, When I first started using digital cameras, I was always messing up because I wasn't used to having controls on the back of the camera, and often I would inadvertently activate unwanted functions.

I would suggest trying to adapt to the X Vario. It is truly an amazing camera.