New X Vario user

Musotographer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had my X Vario for a couple of days now. I love my M9P, but for more casual use, and having seen so many brilliant photos on here made with the XV, it was a bargain I couldn't resist - almost mint, with protector case, grip, extra battery and UVF filter for £800. And I had the EVF already after my brief flirtation with the M240. 

I have a few issues with it (latest 1.1 firmware installed):

Generally it seems to over-expose by about a stop. Exposure compensation helps here (but not in manual mode) - but I can't seem to get that to appear in the EVF, only the LCD.

I can't manage to separate the focusing patch from the exposure one  - am I missing something here?

And though I realise that it's not possible to take DNG only (why?!), when I take DNG + JPEG I can't find the JPEGs in Lightroom - can anyone tell me how to find them?!  With my M9 I always take DNG only, but with this camera I can well imagine taking DNG + high contrast B&W JPEG and using both.

Any suggestions gratefully received - on the whole I quite like the camera so far, but I'm not as ecstatic as I was expecting to be.

Christopher

• Like 1

Hi, welcome to the XV world, like all Leica's it is somewhat idiosyncratic.. 1st I would do a Reset, then with a fully charged battery download and install (if required) the latest FW.. Then adjust your personal settings via the monitor.. I don't use LR but I'm sure someone will help you out.. Back to the camera, try using it in Full Manual Mode, if you have either a light meter App on your phone or

a hand held meter try various settings.. I have not had any exposure problems except those actually caused by myself..

My general settings when putting the camera away:- -3EV--Auto Shutter--f5.6--B&W with added Sharp & Contrast--Auto ISO--Multi Metering--hyper focus.. In reality every time I take the camera out I adjust for that particular task. Just Google XVario there is lots of info....

Edited by Manoleica

Christopher,

Welcome to the club, it's an awesome camera.

Can't help you with the overexposure side.

Focus patch? I can move the little focus indicator by using the arrow buttons, usually in tripod mounted use.

In LR, Preferences, "treat JPEG separately ".

Keep asking, it'll become easier.

Gary

Thanks very much all of you, most helpful.

I should have been clearer about the exposure/focus indicator. I suppose I meant that there doesn't seem to be an exposure lock; i.e using spot metering, if you expose centrally for a certain part of the frame and then use central AF, the exposure value will change to wherever the focus indicator is. You don't always want to take focus and exposure from the same place. The way round it I suppose is to use MF and then set the exposure for wherever you want it - or, as you say move the focus indicator around using the arrows - but that's a bit slow and fiddly for my taste.

There's clearly lots to learn - it all makes the M seem wonderfully simple and instinctive :-)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Toshi, I've been doing that and it helps greatly. In fact as I generally expose to the left anyway I have tried it at both -0.7 EV and -1 EV. 

I have also now worked out how to get the exposure comp setting to appear in the EVF, which isn't very obvious - I'm getting there slowly!  :rolleyes:

Christopher

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mandemaker,

It would be neccessary to also add, as on other devices of range X :

- the possibility of run of the menu by page with the serrated roller of adjustment.

The run of the menu by line remains with the key of navigation of the pad, like currently.

Guy

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Mandemaker,

It would be neccessary to also add, as on other devices of range X :

- the possibility of run of the menu by page with the serrated roller of adjustment.

The run of the menu by line remains with the key of navigation of the pad, like currently.

Guy

That would be nice. 

Toshi