Very unlikely to be a Porsche 550 Spyder - 2 photos

stuny

Advertisement (gone after registration)

​As I hurried in teh heat and humidity to meet Barbara I saw this ersatz (presumably) 550 Spyder.  Porsche only made 70, and three years ago one sold at Ameilia Island for US$4,300,000.

As my childhood friend Spencer Silverbach said, "He'd be crazy to drive a real one in Manhattan."

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Nicely done vehicle and nicely captured, stuny!

Of course I could be wrong but the rear of the front-wheel arch bodywork return is not quite 'factory', the doors are slightly too short in depth and there a few other inconsistencies (rear deck-join profile; rear light units etc...) for it to be an all-original '54/'55 version and the later ones had various other idiosyncrasies so I'm also going to guess it's a 550 'Tribute'.

Very sweet-looker, though!

I'd happily have it as my daily driver. If only I didn't have to cope with our UK weather.......

Philip.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice capture, I know you only had a second or two to get the shot.

As for not being a real 550, it may be, there are crazy people out there, many years ago I worked at Brands Hatch race track in the UK, I remember one racer demolishing both the front and back of his Aston Martin DB5. His biggest complaint was that we covered his engine in fire retardant. That was the third time that year he had wrecked that car, to him it was no problem, it just took money to fix it.

Edited by mikemgb