Weird/strange graphic problem please help.!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My wife who is a graphical designer needed to swap computer to a new Macbook Pro recently. 

Please have a look at the attached picture. The grey ”smudges” in the white area can’t be seen in my wifes computer. Seems like a lot of midtones are lost globally in all programs. Same weird behavior i Safari, Photoshop, Indesign, Finder etc. 

After 2 hours fiddling around with screen profiles and a lot of googling i am giving up. Are there anybody here who please can help?? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Could you display a grey scale on her computer and photograph it; post the result here

Great idea. Found this one. Her computer can't display the 6 lines to right (white) and four lines to the left (black) The lines are perfectly visible on my other computers. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Did you try the hidden advanced options in System Preferences > Displays > Color > then option-click on Calibration ?

If the little box [  ] Expert Mode is not checked, then check it.

That adds a few steps including Gamma adjustment.

Edited by pico

Did you try the hidden advanced options in System Preferences > Displays > Color > then option-click on Calibration ?

If the little box [  ] Expert Mode is not checked, then check it.

That adds a few steps including Gamma adjustment.

I tested it now, thanks for the tip!

But without success unfortunately. 

I want to avoid that as far as possible. I have a long drive to a repair center and I can't afford to be without the computer. Could it really be a hardware problem? I thought it was very binary. Either the graphic card works or not. I didn't think it was possible that the card could work half good as in this case?

If you look carefully some of the smudges are artifacts off-set from the subject. Others appear to be random. Frankly, in all the time I've used Apple (since 1985), and all their monitors I have never seen this before. Very sorry I've no answers.

Oh, could your wife have added some graphics program that messes with the monitor?

If you look carefully some of the smudges are artifacts off-set from the subject. Others appear to be random. Frankly, in all the time I've used Apple (since 1985), and all their monitors I have never seen this before. Very sorry I've no answers.

Oh, could your wife have added some graphics program that messes with the monitor?

The smudges appear to have been produced by the graphic artist to separate the three figures from the background; it seems to be work in progress. Altering the gradation such that all values below about 230 are rendered as black will reveal the application of "brush strokes" in parallel to the contours of the figures.

• Like 2

I don't know enough about Apple computers and their color management; therefore I have no explanation for the strange behaviour that it appears to show values from 32 to 230 only. I have calibrated both my Linux laptop and my iMac using the Huey color calibration tools, and the grey scales are quite satisfactory on both.

I think it's a basic calibration problem, one computer isn't calibrated, the other is calibrated better. So work done on the first isn't showing up the artefacts left behind in removing the background, but show the image on the second monitor and there they are. But the mid tones may come back if both monitors are calibrated, or alternatively good mid tones may have simply been a trick of a badly calibrated monitor in the first place. For example too high a contrast of the monitor would show better mid tones in the attached image, but it would also bleach out the background, hence not seeing the pale artefacts. Time to start again from scratch because for any photography or design you need to have a known baseline and calibrating the monitor is the first step, and if the MacBook can't be calibrated think of using another separate monitor (if that's possible with Macs, they are hocus pocus to me).

Steve

In System Preferences, in the Systems section, open Accessibility.  Under Setting on the left hand side, select Display. Is the Enhance Contrast slider pegged left? if not, move it over.  

Wow!!! This actually did it! It solved the problem! I am so grateful! I had no idea about the function. Never ever clicked the accessability button. 

Thanks all for your support and ideas!! 

• Like 1

Wow!!! This actually did it! It solved the problem! I am so grateful! I had no idea about the function. Never ever clicked the accessability button. 

Thanks all for your support and ideas!! 

I've been using Macs since they first arrived on the scene, but also was not aware of this setting.  So I checked mine, & sure enough it was also not all the way to the left (this must be the Mac default).  While I am certainly sorry that you had this problem & had to go through all of this to get it resolved, I am grateful that it will benefit others like myself.  And can add that as an avid reader of Henning Mankell's books about Inspector Kurt Wallander, I have come to know a bit more about Skane & that part of Sweden where you reside.

In System Preferences, in the Systems section, open Accessibility.  Under Setting on the left hand side, select Display. Is the Enhance Contrast slider pegged left? if not, move it over.  

Wow! I am impressed. I have never gone to Accessibility. Totally missed that.

Thanks so much.

• Like 1