Leica R-Adapter L available

satijntje

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From 21 July onwards the R-Adapter L is available.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My 80-200R is up for sale now I have the 90-280SL. I may still get the 60R or 100R macro, but I don't think I need anything more than the current R-M adapter for that.

Just took my 80-200 and adaptor in for sale last week. Exactly the same reason. As nice as the 80-200R is it's smoked by the 90-280.

Gordon

Still a few days too early - but nevertheless:

Can owners of the R-adapter L check and report about the opening of the adapter in comparison to the opening of the R-adapter M?

The question arises as a consequence of the (relatively) narrow opening of the R-adapter M, blocking light in the corners for some lenses/lens combinations with stacked adapters (R-adapter M + M-adapter T) on the SL.

For illustrative purposes with stacked adapters on the SL: See 100APO-R f2.8 with ELPRO (at approx 1:1 magnification and large aperture) and 280APO-R f4 (illustrated below) at f4, f5.6 and f8, with gradually decreasing corner effects.

If the new Leica R-adapter L is still blocking the light in the corners, the Novoflex LET/LEX adapter might be a solution. The latter is based on the fact that Novoflex LET/CAN gives essentially no corner shading with Canon 500mm f4.5 FD L on the SL, whereas stacked adapters (Novoflex LEM/CAN + M-adapter T) gives shading.

Edited by helged

• 4 weeks later...

Despite the alleged release date there seem to be very few of these about.

I was 'promised' one by my dealer (and have paid), but as yet he has had no delivery ..... or a date for that matter.

Despite a lot of phoning around I could not locate anyone with stock after the release date. 

I had forgotten about this and will chase things up tomorrow ..... I have a fair number of R lenses and will run some tests for you when mine arrives ....

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

Interestingly the 280/2.8 apo seems not to suffer much from this issue ...... this was almost wide open, 1.4x and 2.0x APO extenders stacked with the M-T and M-R adapters .......

I really can't see any significant vignetting at all ......

• Like 5

and this was the cropped result ......

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 6

Yesterday I had the opportunity to make a short test of the new adapter R --> SL at the Leica Shop Wetzlar. I had no R lens with me and so I got a R 4,0/35-70 from the shop. The SL recognized the lens automatically and also the used focal length of the lens. I can't realize any correction profile, there is no message given to Lightroom like this is done with coded M lenses.

• Like 1

Responding to the last three posts -- B&H shows the adapter as "more coming shortly,"  while Popflash, where I have pre-paid for mine, hasn't got them yet.

One thing I noticed in the B&H announcement is that "infinity focus is retained," which is nice for those using an R wideangle.  When I use my 15/2.8 R on the stacked adapters and my SL, infinity is well inside the infinity symbol on the scale.  Even for an SX28-M on the SL, I have to correct for infinity or just focus with magnification on if I want a really sharp scene of distant objects.  I think the M to T and R to M adapters each were cut a little short to ensure that lenses would focus to infinity regardless, and maybe the new adapter is more precise.  I'll test when I get mine, but this won't be for another month or so.

The vignetting that was reported with the stacked slightly smart adapters and absent with the one step Novoflex dumb adapter was, if I recall, seen only at 400 mm and longer.  I think the 180 and 280 were OK.  Of course focusing close would cause problems. Also, putting the 1.4x, 2x or other adapters at the rear of the lens will probably have the effect of moving the exit pupil aft, reducing the tendency to vignette at wide aperture.

It sounds from Ferdinand's experiment, that the camera recognizes the 35-70 zoom's identity (and thus there will be vignetting and color corrections done in the camera).  It's nice to see that the actual focal length in use is reported.  But is that reported only to the LCD as the shot is framed, or visible as well in review once it has been taken?  I would assume that if you can review the shot and know the focal length used, that it should be in the EXIF somewhere.  As far as I can tell, the SL does not add correction parameters for distortion to any of its R lens DNG files.  But it does for the SL 24-90 zoom lens.

scott

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

Scott, the display of the SL shows the actual focal length, e.g. 35mm, 50 mm, 70mm and so on in the review mode. 

• Like 1

One thing I noticed in the B&H announcement is that "infinity focus is retained," which is nice for those using an R wideangle.  When I use my 15/2.8 R on the stacked adapters and my SL, infinity is well inside the infinity symbol on the scale.  Even for an SX28-M on the SL, I have to correct for infinity or just focus with magnification on if I want a really sharp scene of distant objects.  I think the M to T and R to M adapters each were cut a little short to ensure that lenses would focus to infinity regardless, and maybe the new adapter is more precise.  I'll test when I get mine,....

scott

I had this same problem problem using the Leica 21-35mm Vario-Elmar-R f/3.5-4 with the two Leica adapters stacked.

Btw, the adapter seems to be available at Red Dot Camera.

• Like 1

One thing I noticed in the B&H announcement is that "infinity focus is retained," which is nice for those using an R wideangle.  When I use my 15/2.8 R on the stacked adapters and my SL, infinity is well inside the infinity symbol on the scale....

.... Also, putting the 1.4x, 2x or other adapters at the rear of the lens will probably have the effect of moving the exit pupil aft, reducing the tendency to vignette at wide aperture.

scott

True, correct infinity focus with the focusing ring mark short of infinity is still " infinity focus retained".  Good marketing copy writing!

Also, you are right.  adapters do move the exit pupil aft.

Guy

Nearly all mount adapters are designed to be a few tenths of a mm shorter than the nominal registration baseline to allow all lenses to achieve true infinity when focused TTL on the digital sensor. There are several reasons for this: 

• Precise mount register distance was always kind of a farce anyway with film camera lenses because the image plane afforded by the surface of the film on the pressure plate has built into it a couple of tenths of a mm variability due to the different thicknesses of film base and emulsion base as you can see easily if you use a micrometer and measure the thickness of various different films. 
  • There's also the fact that a piece of film in the film gate on has a certain amount of curl to it from center to edge, depending on the specific design and implementation of the film rails and pressure plate as well as the thickness of a particular film. 
  • Digital sensors are far flatter than any film ever was and mount register can be specified to an absolute value. But camera lenses have their own level of variability to them due to mounting flange wear and focusing calibration, etc. 

So to assure that adapted lenses can achieve a true infinity focus on the digital sensor, mount adapters allow an additional bit of leeway. The downside is that this affects the infinity index marking and restricts the accuracy of the DoF scale, and the amount of error is most noticeable with short focal length lenses. I've not found these issues to be much of a hindrance other than for zone focusing, but even then I typically use deep DoF settings for zone focusing so it's only rarely been noticeable as an issue. 

It sounds from Ferdinand's experiment, that the camera recognizes the 35-70 zoom's identity (and thus there will be vignetting and color corrections done in the camera).  It's nice to see that the actual focal length in use is reported.  But is that reported only to the LCD as the shot is framed, or visible as well in review once it has been taken?  I would assume that if you can review the shot and know the focal length used, that it should be in the EXIF somewhere.  As far as I can tell, the SL does not add correction parameters for distortion to any of its R lens DNG files.  But it does for the SL 24-90 zoom lens.

I'm sure that if the SL recognizes the R lens' identity and zoom setting, it will be in the EXIF data. 

I've seen mostly color shifting and vignetting corrections with R and M lens profiles, not geometric correction, but then I haven't really examined the latter very closely as yet. There are certainly geometric corrections applied if I use Lightroom's lens profiles after the fact.