Black and White Paper options

lmans

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I want to print out my black and white .....I do my own developing but would sooner send out digital prints from that point on. What does anyone suggest as paper options that would truly make black and white stand out? I am looking at using Bay Photo Lab and they have 16 paper options but obviously not all for BW...  https://www.bayphoto.com/prints/fine-art-prints/

I am not sure of what effect I am looking for but like to have high contrast.....I am more into grain and movement at the moment in my films.....so am looking for something a bit  different. Anyone try bamboo ? Or anything else you might have an inking to share? Thanks in advance, jim

Of the papers that lab offers, the Epson Exhibition Fiber is going to be the closest to a fine, silver darkroom print on air-dried glossy double-weight fiber paper. As close as you'd get to, say, Ilford's Multigrade FB, or the top-end Kodak/Agfa/Ilford darkroom papers of the days of yor. Think "Ansel Adams museum print." It's what I use with my own printer, for finished B&W prints (I use "lesser" RC-type photo gloss or luster for day-to-day and color inkjet work).

If you want a "little different" kick, the Moab Slickrock Pearl Metallic is a mirror-gloss, slightly silvery-white-based shiny paper. Grays down the highlights a notch, but the pearlescent undercoating livens up the midtones.

Being old-school, I am a total NON-fan of matte fine-art papers designed originally for water-color or printing-press use - I leave those to lithographers and painters. Arlo Guthrie didn't sing about "27 8x10 color fine-art-matte photos" in Alice's Restaurant - he said "glossy." ;)

Gloss of some kind has more "snap" - and doesn't "scuff" with handling.

• Like 1

Thanks Andy for the suggestions and information. The Epson Exhibition Fiber seems to be it.

Sounds if you print your own...an ideal situation since you can select the paper of your choosing from 'everything' out there. I don't quite have that as an option right now. I do appreciate the advice, jim

Why not ask the lab for samples?  They might even do that with one of your files if they're really service oriented.  if not, I'm sure there are other labs that will.

I'd likely pick Exhibition Fiber for my tastes, and for my requirements, but yours may vary.  For me, it depends on the particular image.  I now use Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique most often....unfortunately not on their list.  It's quite similar to Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, also not on their list.  Both resemble darkroom papers I was fond of.

Better yet, I encourage you to do your own.  I've always done my own printing (and matting/framing)....darkroom and digital....it's the best way to control the look you want, for each and every pic.  One doesn't need to spend a fortune, and these are great times for equipment, software and material choices.

Jeff

Jeff...a while back I  invested in a nice Canon Pixma Pro 100....first it was real cumbersome in terms of size so that was an issue. But the printing of it, I wasn't fond of. Perhaps it was just me and what I was looking for or perhaps the paper I was using...not sure, but I sent it back. Again, size wise, it was too large for the area I have. 

Any suggestions? jim

I was going to suggest one of the new Epson SureColor models...P400, P600 or P800....but they are all bigger than the Pixma, and more expensive.  Machines are frequently discounted and rebated, however, since manufacturers make the money on the inks and are willing to sacrifice on the printers to entice (like razor companies do to sell blades).  Cartridge size increases as printers increase in size/price so that one can save on costs per print over time by buying the more economical larger cartridges.

All of that is mute, however, if you don't have the space.  Consider, though, that most models can be connected wirelessly and don't need to be in the same room....although the newer Epsons (the P800 for sure) may require printer access when using the front feed.  The machines are relatively light, however, and can sit on a desktop or end table, etc.

I can't speak to anything smaller.

Getting good print results is a whole different discussion.  But these days, the machines (and papers) aren't a limiting factor.....there are many good choices....a disciplined workflow is key.  The DPP section of the forum has much related discussion.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If I picked up a printer...from experience, I know it would take a bit of time before I was happy with the procedure and as you say, the workflow....   Photography is my hobby, not my job...but I would like to do printing. I belong to a camera club that has printers, including the  Epson, so might just have to work from the club room instead of my home office, jim

For better than just ok results, everything in photography takes learning and time....hobby or job.  It's never been plug and play.  We each have our own goals and priorities.

There are many good resources if you decide to explore....video tutorials, books, workshops. and even some clubs....depending on how you like to learn, all of which requires hands-on experience.

For me, creating the print (of a worthy image, of course) has always been key....so everything I've done to try to improve that result has been worth the time, effort and cost.  It's a hobby....but a passion for decades.  YMMV.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2