1st Time M-E Owner

colin_d

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've just bought an M-E on the bay with delivery likely in a few weeks. I've owned an 111f, M3 & M5 with various lenses most of which I sold to move into large format. I bought the M-E to add another option to my kit and to have a digital option. The only lens I have left is a 50mm f2 Summitar in exc condition, it is one of the limited number with coating and 10 blades.

Because it is a screw mount with m adapter, will this be an issue with the camera recognising which lens I have on it? If there are differences in using the camera compared having an m mount lens what are they and what is the work around, if any?

This is my first serious entry into digital having remained with film and self processing, most particularly in LF, but now I'm looking forward to having a whole new exciting and rewarding partnership with my M-E.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by colin_d
  • Like 1

the camera reads the usual 6bit coding, if you code the lens accordingly, and applies some level of correction. not a hugely necessary thing for a 50mm lens anyway. as long as the RF unit of the camera and the lens is well calibrated there should be no issue. Enjoy!

Edited by Rus

BTW - I have a 50mm Summitar that my Dad used on his iiib..not the coated one. I never cease to be amazed by the resolution! I have no problem using on my M9 - the only care point I would make is always extend the lens when putting in on and taking it off the body, to reduce the risk of damage inside the body. People assure me that, once mounted the lens can be retracted without damage to the sensor - I must admit I've not been brave enough to try!

Many thanks Denys & Rus, that's good advice and should get me started. 

Denys, yes I'm looking forward to using the Summitar on the ME. It arrived in near perfect condition on a IIIf that had a problem with the film wind clutch so I'm guessing when the camera gave up the lens just sat on the camera an didn't get anymore use

I also inherited a coated, 10 blade Summitar and have used it on my M9. It can give very good results. Chances are you have a Leitz ltm to M3 adapter, which is cut out on the lower portion for the Elmar infinity lock. If so, this adapter leaves the body code reader uncovered, so it may get dirty over time. Instead, get a modern codeable 50mm adapter and code it for an early Summicron.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also inherited a coated, 10 blade Summitar and have used it on my M9. It can give very good results. Chances are you have a Leitz ltm to M3 adapter, which is cut out on the lower portion for the Elmar infinity lock. If so, this adapter leaves the body code reader uncovered, so it may get dirty over time. Instead, get a modern codeable 50mm adapter and code it for an early Summicron.

That sounds good advice Tom. I didn't know about the cut out on the ltm to M adapter - I didn't use the Summitar on my M4..so bought a 'modern' adaptor for use on the M9. There are three types, depending on focal length - to bring up the correct frame lines in the viewfinder. Looking at mine now, I see the little cut outs that can be coloured black for auto lens detect..but I still use manual detection since my other lens (35mm Summicron v4) isn't coded.

Colin - I bet you can't wait to play with the M-E! A little while ago I had cause to chat to Malcolm Taylor (you may have heard of him - if not, he is a repair man with a fantastic reputation in the Leica world). During our conversation I mentioned the 50mm Summitar - his view is that it is a "brilliant" lens!

You do not have to switch lens detection to manual to use an uncoded lens; with 98% of the uncoded lenses, the camera will not give a false reading, but will register the lens as uncoded automatically. If you want to use an uncoded lens and select it manually, make a dedicated user profile for that lens to enable you to switch quickly..

• Like 2

You do not have to switch lens detection to manual to use an uncoded lens; with 98% of the uncoded lenses, the camera will not give a false reading, but will register the lens as uncoded automatically. If you want to use an uncoded lens and select it manually, make a dedicated user profile for that lens to enable you to switch quickly..

Thanks for that info - I didn't know that..and great tip about a user profile!

• 1 month later...

A week ago the ME turned up in near pristine condition, not a mark on it, not even on the bayonet mount so I don't know what the previous owner did with it. Included was a leather carry case and two neck straps, I'm happy as I could expect to be. I've mounted the Summitar, now it's ready to get some use. I set up a profile for the lens, the frame lines seem to be indicating for a 50mm, most of my use will be for indoor portraits and still life. It's quite a solid unit compared to the M3, the dials and buttons are simple and intuitive to use, the view finder bright, the screen I don't care much about except for the settings and histogram. Now I've just got to get a feel for using it.

c

The adaptor you're using should have the focal lengths it's meant for engraved on it. The adaptor triggers the correct frame lines, assuming you have one for 50mm.

Given the correct frame lines are visible I'd say you are correct. The adaptor is modern so should be made with the digital camera in mind.

c