SL Firmware 3.0 update wishes

MRJohn

It seems Leica prefers to develop firmware for m10, rather for the SL. :/

Focus magnification is a big problem since the beginning and it seems they don't want to fix this problem...

It's so disappointing that focus magnification remains in the center with M lenses... :/

Agree. If I remember well, right from the beginning we were told Leica is aware of this and "was looking at it..."

But still nothing. Such a shame. It would make SL an almost perfect camera...

There's some unfinished business in lens profiles for R lenses used on the SL.  The SL writes distortion correction information in the DNG files (and presumably makes comparable corrections to the in-camera JPEGs) for all the wide angle R primes, EXCEPT the Super Elmarit-R 15/2.8, the Super-Elmar 15/3.5, and the two versions of Super-Angulon 21 mm lenses (/3.4 and /4.0).  When the R to SL adapter becomes generally available, it will be necessary to add corrections that support the various Vario-Elmar zooms as well, since with the adapter, the SL finally knows what focal length is now in use.  Some or all of this may be already deployed in firmware 2.0 or 2.1, but we can't tell yet.

scott

I am afraid the Leica Super-Angulon-R 3,4/21mm may fool with the SL shutter which is build closer to the lens mount than on the Leicaflex or film M's.

I am afraid the Leica Super-Angulon-R 3,4/21mm may fool with the SL shutter which is build closer to the lens mount than on the Leicaflex or film M's.

Sorry, I don't follow this at all. Yes, the sensor is closer to the L mount than either the R or the M mount, but that's what we have adapters for, isn't it? Any R mount lens, mounted on the SL with the appropriate adapter(s), will result in the same distance from the rear element to the sensor as any R camera distance to the film plane, won't it?

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

#65 - Write camera settings to persistent storage when a setting has been changed. Whenever the SL restarts after a freeze (have to pop and re-insert the battery) it reverts to the settings that were in effect when it was last turned off. Since it usually freezes in the most inopportune moments it would save time if the camera remembered the most recent settings. Of course, this would not be an issue if the camera didn't freeze in the first place...

When using a zoom I'd like to see the current focal length somewhere in the display.  Or am I just missing it?  

Having the focus distance appear in the EVF when in MF would be nice, too.  

What is having the focal length going to give you that you cannot see?

Focus distance - dunno. How have we lived for over a hundred years without it?

I was just having a play with my wife's M10 and was showing her how to set up auto iso parameters.  I noticed that in the screen menus both the manual  selection of ISO (e.g. select between auto, 50, 100 etc) and the auto ISO parameters (min, max, slowest shutter) are part of the same menu thread.  In the SL the iso selection is separate (and in a different menu thread) than the auto iso parameters.  Seems like the M10 structure - in this case at least - is more intuitive/efficient.   Also I noticed the M10 allowed 1/f, 1/2f and 1/4f for slowest shutter.   I think the SL overs only 1/f and 1/2f.   So just bringing the SL options and interface up to M10 standards would be nice.

The M10 really is a big step forward for M users.   Sweet.    

#65 - Write camera settings to persistent storage when a setting has been changed. Whenever the SL restarts after a freeze (have to pop and re-insert the battery) it reverts to the settings that were in effect when it was last turned off. Since it usually freezes in the most inopportune moments it would save time if the camera remembered the most recent settings. Of course, this would not be an issue if the camera didn't freeze in the first place...

Interesting that you're seeing freezes. Mine has never frozen up, not once, in 1.5 years and 10-12 thousand exposures. 

A common cause of such behavior is SD cards that are out of spec. What kind of cards are you using? 

Interesting that you're seeing freezes. Mine has never frozen up, not once, in 1.5 years and 10-12 thousand exposures. 

A common cause of such behavior is SD cards that are out of spec. What kind of cards are you using? 

Lexar 32GB Professional 1000x UHS-II SDHC Memory Card (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1090743-REG/lexar_lsd32gcrbna10002_pro_1000x_uhs_2.html) in both slots, with card 1 being active. So far it has only happened when shooting in AFc/Continous Medium Speed mode with the SL 90-280. Usually the buffer was filled to some extent (the camera still writing data) and the camera locked up when I manually reviewed shots (auto review: off). Had similar problems with the M240 (with different cards).

even if the  new summaron M 28mm is a special order M lens built in limited numbers I have it and the SL I own  doesnt recognize it even if is coded ( as it does with the other M coded lenses ) Yes my M9 recognize it but why SL shoundnt have the summaron 28mm into his list . I appreciate an upgrade for this.

• Like 1

even if the  new summaron M 28mm is a special order M lens built in limited numbers I have it and the SL I own  doesnt recognize it even if is coded ( as it does with the other M coded lenses ) Yes my M9 recognize it but why SL shoundnt have the summaron 28mm into his list . I appreciate an upgrade for this.

I think the next firmware will fix this. I've also the 5,6/28 Summaron and I also realized that the lens is not recognized at the SL albeit it's known at the MM1

The JPEGs  from camera DNG files is still inexplicably bad; those light cyan highlights are still there.  I'm very surprised that they have not sorted this.  Yes, I process my raw files, but I also preview them (in Photo Mechanic, which uses the internal JPEGs, unless I set it to do the rendering itself, which I am not wont to do, because it doesn't half eat batter life when you're out and about.

• Like 1

Great thread topic. I recently traded in my Nikon 810 and lenses for the SL. It was presented as a "Pro" camera. I tend to agree EXCEPT for the histogram. I am stunned that the histogram requires a magnifying glass to view, and there is no option for multi colored channels. My m246 has a better histogram size wise. Why have an option to set clipping limits without a histogram that reflects the entire capture? So please please Leica, add more functionality and channel colored histogram

• 4 weeks later...

"Fujifilm has announced that it will be releasing major firmware updates for its X-T2 and X-Pro2 cameras, reports DP Review. In this case, “major” really does mean major: The new firmware will bring a whopping 33 functional and operational improvements, notes PetaPixel. The first update, available soon, brings no less than 27 feature improvements to Fuji's flagship mirrorless cameras.  Another update will arrive in late May"

... seems that the competition gets it. Hopefully it inspires Leica to beat Fuji and give us 34 improvements of the more than 50 suggested ones so far by mid May  ;)