SL Firmware 3.0 update wishes

MRJohn

Let's see what will be already covered by this 2.1 release (if the rumor is true). Otherwise, here is a consolidated list of the current suggestions (I kept some redundancy when the wording differs slightly):

1. Fix the EVF behaviour. Make it adjustable by the end user in brightness and contrast.

2. Fix the live exposure preview behaviour. Make it the same regardless of the mode you're in. MENU>LIVE EXPOSURE PREVIEW> 1) OFF 2) ALWAYS ON 3) on, on half press of shutter button.

3. Fix the issue that normal live exposure preview is disabled when attaching a TTL flash to the camera (God only knows who though that was a good idea??)

4. Have a setting SLOW FLASH SYNC SPEED = OFF in the slow sync settings for A, P and T modes.

5. Allow the user to set which dial does what in semi-auto modes. Have an option to make the same dial exposure preview in all semi auto modes rather than switching what dial does what depending on what mode you're in. ie: I want the exposure compensation dial to be the same in A and T modes, which I can't do now.

6. Allow more flexibility in what file is written to which card and how.

7. Fix the 0.0.0 GPS location issue.

8. Option to have the camera remember the last user selected manual focus assist position.

9. Option to quickly reset the focus point to the centre of the screen. Double tap joystick perhaps?

10. Add the option to have the joystick set a lower magnification when pressed and used with MF lenses.

11. Have the option to enable focus peaking at the same time as other display modes (histogram etc). Comment 1: I think number 11 should be edited to allow an additional customisable display mode on which you can select any combination of assistants you want. ie the preview select (BR button as default) would therefore be: normal > full screen > histogram > focus peaking > grid > horizon > custom > normal.  Comment 2: Suggestion: make the viewfinder displays cumulative, rather than alternative.  For example, I quite often want to see focus peaking and levelling and exposure histogram at once, rather than having to cycle through them,

12. Improve Auto ISO functionality, especially when used with TTL flash.

13. Move as many on screen indicators (eg: the focus peaking symbol) out of the imaging area in the EVF, to the black bar at the top of the display.

14. Add the option to assign the user quick menu to a long press button.

15. Allow user to switch EVF between color and B&W, regardless of JPG settings

16. Allow user to change order of the favourites menu. (I'd like to have user profiles at the top, for example. I know it's available as a long press but I use them for other stuff).

17. Option of electronic (silent) shutter at all shutter speeds. (with the normal limitations of using flash etc.)

18. Allow touch screen control of the menus. Selection and scrolling.

19. Save user profiles during firmware updates 

20. Option to set up and manage menu functions, settings, and profiles via the SL application on another device, similar to the way this can be done on iOS devices from a macOS computer. Doing this from the camera feels slow and cumbersome.

21. Top display to show the focus distance scale when the SL-mount lenses are manually focused without having to partially press and hold the shutter release. The S-007 already has this updated in its most recent firmware.

22. Option for the camera to recognize via software that manual focus lenses (M, R, adapted) are being manually focused and prompt magnification. I believe this would be possible very easily by the camera recognizing the image changing focus by a certain degree (you wouldn't want this triggered by a small change in position). I miss the RF mechanism triggering magnification from my M-P.

20. Option to have the camera "remember" focus point position when changing between landscape and portrait orientation. Nikon and Canon have this option.

23. Option to change focus point selection color. I preferred the red on my Nikon D4s for focus confirmation.

24. Option to change the size of the focus selection boxes. I don't necessarily want more points but an option to make the focus point selection more precise while still allowing more advanced grouping of points (see Nikon D# series cameras grouping options) would be helpful.

25. Full electronic shutter option at all shutter speeds.

26. Option to stop long exposures during capture. I cannot find a way to do this currently.

27. Option to view long exposures during capture on the rear-LCD (see Olympus OMD series).

28. Enable focus bracketing for SL-mount lenses.

29. Enable timed shutter release in combination with bracketing. 

30. Allow the user to select long exposure noise reduction = OFF.

31. Allow camera to take a dark frame subtraction frame of user set length that can be used in post processing. eg: take a dark frame after a series of photos like a star trail set.

32. Allow multiple tripod mounted exposures to be automatically blended into a single DNG file in camera. Increases DR and lowers noise. Also simulates a ND filter exposure. Sony has this as an add on app (smooth reflections) and it works well.

33. Add intervalometer options similar to Nikons

34. With all the additional options, and as part of my option 17, allow profile management that completely hides a lot of this stuff. I would set up a street shooting profile, a tripod profile, etc, none of which would carry video options. They'd be hidden for me. 

35. Fix the AutoISO mode so that it works properly when you set a bottom limit other than 50. 

36. Improve the metering accuracy and range at low EV values with adapted lenses, and make it consistent across metering modes.

37.  Provide an option for automatic extension of exposure time in AutoISO A mode when the ISO setting has maxed out

38. Provide an option to split the card writes.

39. Provide an option to disable dark frame subtraction noise reduction mode.

40. Provide a way to customize the two dials with respect to exposure compensation operation.

41. Provide a way to do two-frame exposure bracketing with a settable EV step between them. 

42. When using manual lenses (M lenses in my case), I have to magnify the view and then move around to focus find the focus point.  That's silly and time consuming.  Instead the process should be reversed like it is with AF lenses - move the box and then magnify.  It's more time effective this way and I won't lose the composition. 

43. For use of non-Leica lenses; have an option to manually select the (approximately) correct focal length from a list of "standard" focal lengths like 12, 15, 21, 24, 35, 50, 80, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600 and 800 mm, so close-to-correct focal length info is embedded to the image. Alternatively, have the option to self-define focal lengths in a dedicated menu for non-native Leica lenses.

44. Visible indication when the exposure metering is out of calibration range in low light.

45. In playback mode, redesign the delete menu so it does not block as much of the photo.

46. Increase playback volume for in-camera video playback.

47: New feature: provide option to enable PIP (picture in picture) magnification when pressing joystick in M mode (using e.g. M lenses). This would allow focusing what needs to be in focus while keeping an eye on the scene itself (which might be moving). Would e.g. be very useful for street photography.

48: For non-Leica lenses, have the ability to create custom lens metadata profiles which get written to EXIF. E.g. I'd like to add Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.2 to the pull-down catalog (i.e. name, focal length, aperture). Of course without any lens corrections applied. This would spare me to do it manually in Lightroom.

49. The current exposure settings (f stop, shutter speed) should be saved in the memory slot during the "Save as Profile" menu action.  I like going to a completely "known state" when I load a memory setting.

E.g.

Profile 1: Mode =  A, f stop = 5.6, shutter speed = auto

Profile 2: Mode =  M, f stop = 8, shutter speed = 1/125s

Profile 3: Mode =  T, f stop = auto, shutter speed = 1/640s

Profile 4: Mode =  M, f stop = 11, shutter speed = 1/60s

50. Add the ability for the camera to write to an FTP server using the WIFI connection. - This would bring the camera into line with Canon and Nikon's flagship wireless capabilities

This would include the ability to choose what went where. e.g. save a raw to the SD and send a jpeg to the FTP. Or send a Raw and save a Raw. 

For people that cover live events/sports or just for wireless preview in a studio environment. 

51. Web server button on the browser to download all files. Or raw only files.

52. Same with file selection but can live with 51 only

53. Show an on-screen indication when reformatting SD cards in camera. 

• Like 4

Good idea for a thread (I hope Leica reads it)

For me, I wish the SL would hold its focus point between shots. I use M lenses, and they work really well, but if I'm taking a portrait and shoot a series of images in development of the 'best' shot, the camera keeps reverting to the centre point every time...I work around it but it is an annoyance

I want to set a focus point and want it to stay there till moved by me

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am on FW2.1 but also under 2.0 I had the opposite issue, when moving the focus point in static field or point mode using the joystick, I would have loved the system to revert to Center but instead it stays on the previously selected point after taking a shot. Maybe I am missing a setting here?

I am on FW2.1 but also under 2.0 I had the opposite issue, when moving the focus point in static field or point mode using the joystick, I would have loved the system to revert to Center but instead it stays on the previously selected point after taking a shot. Maybe I am missing a setting here?

Sounds like you're using the native zoom lens rather than an adapted manual lens.

Native lenses == focus spot is sticky. 

Adapted lenses == focus spot resets each time. 

This is because the native lenses are using the AF system and maintaining its state. With adapted lenses, you're focusing manually and each invocation of magnification resets the AF system to operate. 

One thing that remains unfixed at 2.1 is the JPEG previews in DNG files, which have a weird cyan / magenta hue, where they are close to blown.  They are better than the 1.x firmware versions, but they remain pretty unusable.  Indeed they are not even usable for testing critical sharpness in Photo Mechanic.

It would be good for DNG previews to use the JPEG settings to determine size / quality.

It would be a help for people coming from M or R if Leica could add a default user profile for BBF (back button focus) shooting.

The default setup with both AF and shutter release function on the same button is often not very useful for people encountering AF for the first time. And the setup for BBF is not automatically clear for a newcomer.

It is not necessary to change the current default, but add a user profile (BBF) that allows an easy switch.

In this context it would be nice if the artificial limit of 4 profiles could be removed (or at least increased to 8 or 12).

Edited by steppenw0lf

54. Square cropping framelines.

55. My request is that we return to the facility that was developed on the M8, M9 and M series, in which you can assign a folder name or number (eg L601, M240, M800), and picture numbers can increase up to 9999, not limited to 999

My other requests are in the list already.

• Like 1

It would be a help for people coming from M or R if Leica could add a default user profile for BBF (back button focus) shooting.

The default setup with both AF and shutter release function on the same button is often not very useful for people encountering AF for the first time. And the setup for BBF is not automatically clear for a newcomer.

It is not necessary to change the current default, but add a user profile (BBF) that allows an easy switch.

In this context it would be nice if the artificial limit of 4 profiles could be removed (or at least increased to 8 or 12).

Doesn't just switching to manual focus achieve what you want very easily? If you select manual focus when using the AF lenses the joystick becomes the AF button by default. The process is almost exactly the same button presses as choosing a profile.

Gordon

• Like 1

I think the likelihood of "people encountering AF for the first time" with the Leica SL is extremely unlikely in this day and age. The model of half-pressing the shutter release for to lock in focus and exposure, and then releasing the shutter by pushing the rest of the way, is just about the most common AF convention on the market. 

Yes, it is popular, but it is not necessarily the most useful AF setup.

Have a look at the following two documents:       http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/tip/4374/back-button-focus/

http://digital-photography-school.com/back-button-focus-what-is-it-and-why-should-you-try-it/

I found this only by chance and would have been grateful to find a default setup (as user profile to choose) for BBF with a new camera. And I have the impression encountering people not knowing about BBF is not so unlikely.

Thanks Gordon, I did not notice that MF mode with an AF lens is about equal to BBF. Good to know. Maybe a hint in the manual would have been useful.   :)  Maybe it is all it needs.

Edited by steppenw0lf

Yes, it is popular, but it is not necessarily the most useful AF setup.

Have a look at the following two documents:       http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/tip/4374/back-button-focus/

http://digital-photography-school.com/back-button-focus-what-is-it-and-why-should-you-try-it/

I found this only by chance and would have been grateful to find a default setup (as user profile to choose) for BBF with a new camera. And I have the impression encountering people not knowing about BBF is not so unlikely.

Thanks Gordon, I did not notice that MF mode with an AF lens is about equal to BBF. Good to know. Maybe a hint in the manual would have been useful.   :)  Maybe it is all it needs.

"BBF" (have we already jargonized the notion of using a button instead of the shutter release to activate focusing??) requires nothing more than reading the options for customizing the joystick button in the owners manual (page 223 in the English section of the Deutsch/English manual) and setting the appropriate option for MF mode operation. 

• 2 weeks later...

56. Add a flash ready indicator in the viewfinder.

I hadn't even realised that there isn't one. The flash symbol seems to be always there, even if a flash isn't attached. I suggest the flash indicator at the top of the screen could change colour to green when the flash is ready to fire.

57. An indicator that FEC has been set.

Probably just add a +/- symbol next to the flash indicator. Obviously this would only work with TTL flashes that communicate properly with the camera (SF64 and SF40 but not the SF58)

Gordon

the good thing about the magnification with the SL lens is, there is a focus point/box, when magnifying it will jump to that area instead of the center. is there a way to get the same with m lenses?

It's very annoying, especially if you focus manual with magnification, move the magnification field to where you want it, touch the shutter(or release). And having to start over again.

Edited by orc999

the good thing about the magnification with the SL lens is, there is a focus point/box, when magnifying it will jump to that area instead of the center. is there a way to get the same with m lenses?

It's very annoying, especially if you focus manual with magnification, move the magnification field to where you want it, touch the shutter(or release). And having to start over again.

Agreed. It's number 8 on the list.

Gordon