SL Firmware 3.0 update wishes

MRJohn

There's some unfinished business in lens profiles for R lenses used on the SL.  The SL writes distortion correction information in the DNG files (and presumably makes comparable corrections to the in-camera JPEGs) for all the wide angle R primes, EXCEPT the Super Elmarit-R 15/2.8, the Super-Elmar 15/3.5, and the two versions of Super-Angulon 21 mm lenses (/3.4 and /4.0).  When the R to SL adapter becomes generally available, it will be necessary to add corrections that support the various Vario-Elmar zooms as well, since with the adapter, the SL finally knows what focal length is now in use.  Some or all of this may be already deployed in firmware 2.0 or 2.1, but we can't tell yet.

scott

• Like 1

There's some unfinished business in lens profiles for R lenses used on the SL.  The SL writes distortion correction information in the DNG files (and presumably makes comparable corrections to the in-camera JPEGs) for all the wide angle R primes, EXCEPT the Super Elmarit-R 15/2.8, the Super-Elmar 15/3.5, and the two versions of Super-Angulon 21 mm lenses (/3.4 and /4.0).  When the R to SL adapter becomes generally available, it will be necessary to add corrections that support the various Vario-Elmar zooms as well, since with the adapter, the SL finally knows what focal length is now in use.  Some or all of this may be already deployed in firmware 2.0 or 2.1, but we can't tell yet.

scott

Hi Scott,

Did you mount the two versions of Super-Angulon 21 mm lenses (/3.4 and /4.0) on the SL ?

Thanks,

Lucien

Hi Scott,

Did you mount the two versions of Super-Angulon 21 mm lenses (/3.4 and /4.0) on the SL ?

Thanks,

Lucien

No, you can get the SL to show you what it does in constructing a DNG file by assigning the profile you are interested in to any R lens that you happen to have, using the two stage adapters.  The only R wide angle that I actually have is the 15/2.8, which is one of the ones missing a full profile.  My suspicion is that the missing profiles are for lenses not designed in house,  But the technical documents for all of these lenses do show detailed distortion profiles, from which the missing opcodes can be estimated.  And they can use these corrections.

scott

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On magnification with M and R lenses, I was looking through the Fuji X-T2 brochure and came across this view mode option.

Bacislly if you enable this mode, it shrinks down the view and puts the magnified area outside of your frame so your view is not obstructed when focusing.

I would like to see something similar as an option for the SL.

• Like 3

#60: would be nice to be able to set a visual alert for shutter speed in A mode. E.g. if it falls below (=takes longer) 1/focal length or 2/ focal length or 0.5/focal length. Shutter speed is of course visible in the EVF but if it was pulsing red I might take more notice if it falls below a "critical" level as a warning for a risk of blur.

#61 Allow the back dial to be permanently set to exposure compensation. Currently, when using M lenses, I have to long press a function key to enable to exposure compensation mode and then it will work. I know I could just use the main dial to adjust shutter speed but perhaps I want that set and for the back dial adjust ISO.

My other main gripes of sticky exposure preview, separate DNG and JPEG writes to the two cards and the ability to have a magnified focus spot stick between exposures (double click the joystick to return to centre is a good idea) are already there.

• Like 1

I would like to see the focal used in the viewfinder (or the LCD) when using Leica SL zooms. I know we do not want to clutter the viewfinder with data, but I miss this one and the lens marking is not precise enough.

Hmm. When I've done tests of the SL24-90 and set the zoom ring to each of the marked focal lengths, I haven't found the actual focal length in the EXIF data to be off by more than a mm. That's pretty darn precise in my book. 

I would like to see the focal used in the viewfinder (or the LCD) when using Leica SL zooms. I know we do not want to clutter the viewfinder with data, but I miss this one and the lens marking is not precise enough.

That's something I miss as well. When looking in the viewfinder you can't see the lens marking so seeing it in the viewfinder would be a big plus for me.

• Like 1

My one wish is:

Give a choise of having OIS on with half press of shutter or ONLY DURING EXPOSURE.

Now that OIS is on while focusing and then reframing I find it difficult to reframe as the OIS tries to keep me from panning. This is why it is hard to frame accurately with speed. You need to wait for the view to center.

Bigger fear is that if after reframig I release the shutter the OIS might be on the edge of it's effective area which means less tolerance for camera shake.

If the OIS would be centered when the exposure starts the tolerance for camera shake would be the greatest and equal in all directions!

If already at present the OIS centers by firmware at the start of exposure it means the framing will be diffrent (if when reframing the effort to stabilase had lead to off-center OIS).

My previous Olympus had this choise and I always kept it "only during exposure" and enjoyed the results.

Best wishes, Kari

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small flaw: When I use the rear LCD and switch to 10x enlargement, and then take the camera to the eye and switch to the EVF display, then the 10x is turned off. So I need to to press 10x again and select the place I looked at again. (e.g. during playback).

It would be nice if the switch of the display would leave the rest as it is (to stay in 10x if I am already in 10x mode).

Just a minor flaw, but as I use it very often, it would be nice to fix it.

I checked the lists more or less thouroughly for this error, but could not find it. But sorry, if it should be there already ...

Edited by steppenw0lf

42. When using manual lenses (M lenses in my case), I have to magnify the view and then move around to focus find the focus point. That's silly and time consuming. Instead the process should be reversed like it is with AF lenses - move the box and then magnify. It's more time effective this way and I won't lose the composition.

I hope next firmware will fix it!

An other point: when using manual lenses (M lenses), it will be great to assign a fonction to rear wheel: for example, it would be great to select directly the iso with this wheel.

42. When using manual lenses (M lenses in my case), I have to magnify the view and then move around to focus find the focus point. That's silly and time consuming. Instead the process should be reversed like it is with AF lenses - move the box and then magnify. It's more time effective this way and I won't lose the composition.

I hope next firmware will fix it!

An other point: when using manual lenses (M lenses), it will be great to assign a fonction to rear wheel: for example, it would be great to select directly the iso with this wheel.

Yes the magnification is my only major issue I have with the SL now. It should be like with the AF Lenses and stick where I left it for the recent picture. 

Lower magnification would also be a nice option, pushing the BL button is not on a convenient to do that and there is no option to reassign it.

• Like 1