Leica Summicron-M APO 90mm ASPH.

mandelbrot

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got it because I wanted a portrait lens. It has since invited experimentation for me, and I'm enjoying that too. 

M-P 240

Apo-Summicron-M 90mm
ISO 200; 1/15 s; f/5.6

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Mine arrived a couple of days ago. I don´t find it  more difficult to focus wide open than my other Leica lenses ( 50 APO and summilux 35 FLE). I´m really blown away by the IQ and the rendering of this lens. So far I have been shooting portraits and close-up . Very happy with the results. For my taste is a bit too heavy and I miss a focusing tab. But the images coming from this lens are truly astonishing.

When I was trying to get the hang of the lens, I walked down to the bike path and shot upcoming bikes. After about a week of doing this, I had it together. I tried to deconstruct the learning process.

In addition to the normal things about narrower depth of field and the detail in the focus patch being harder to see. I had to reprogram my muscle memory for the 90AA

The focus throw on my 50mm Lux goes from about 4pm-7pm which is about 110 degrees about the same as on my 90 AA Cron but to go from 3m to infinity on the 50mm Lux it is about 10 degrees but on the 90 AA it is about 30 degrees.

The other thing was I'd mentally trained my brain to kind of know the working distance of the 50 Lux and guess things like 1m 1.5m 2m 5m. After about 5m on the 50 Lux focus really didn't matter. With the 90AA since the working distance is much farther I had to get the hang of knowing that focus still mattered out to about 10m

The things that really make the 90AA practically usable for me are:

1) Most of the time when I'm using it as a short telephoto most things are still way out at infinity. Landscape kind of stuff with no decisive moment.

2) When using it as a portrait lens the model and I remain approximately the same distance and only fine tuning is necessary.

3) When at a concert or something, you can get the focus then take multiple shots as moments happen.

4) With faster moving targets like the oncoming bikes, I found it was much easier to set a focus at some distance and let someone ride into it rather than trying to trying to lock onto them. Once they have entered focus sometimes I can manage to pull focus but it is tricky.

I like the lens and I do like the nice tight DOF and low light performance but someday I'll probably buy the 90mm macro-elmar and when I travel trade the size and weight for aperture . 

• Like 4

I also have both 90AA and Lux-75. Totally different characters. My original plan was to sell the 90AA once I got the 75Lux. But Now I can't do it as I prefer to use 90AA for landscapes and panoramas. 90AA has beautiful colors,  makes wonderful sunstars with it's 11 aperture blades. Good portrait lens as well if there is no green foliage is behind the subject. Thing is 90AA definitely has somewhat harsh bokeh, a typical feature of teleportrait lens with aspheric lenses. Some like it, some don't. 75Lux wins hands down when it comes to bokeh. I also think 90AA could need an upgrade as it's main weakness is relatively high minimum focusing distance and performance up close degrades. Performance at infinity and medium distance is stunning, though. And I love the build quality and focusing feels nice. Somehow I actually have easier time to focus 90AA than 75Lux (optical viewfinder). With EVF it makes no difference, though.

Hi!
Please post more picture of Apo 90 f2. I intend to get Apo M or SL 90 to shoot with my SL 601 for portrait!
Have a nice day!
Thanks!

Plenty of pictures with 90AA here. Feel free to take a look.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1113057@N21/pool/

Edited by Tmuussoni

• 11 months later...

I have the 75 Summilux to accompany the Summicron90APO for that Mandler idea. I wouldn't want to change that for an Elmarit90 (or even a Summicron90 pre-asph) with a Summicron 75

Hi Otto.f!

I have the same idea to keep M75 Lux and get the M90

Apo for compliment!

Have a nice day!

Thanks!

I have had my 90 mm AA since 2005 and it is a superb portrait and landscape lens as described above.

It is sharp throughout and really excels as most Leica lenses do, when wide open.

That being said, the challenge afforded by this lens is precise eye focus at f/2..

The DOF is very narrow and I use continuous and have a success rate of about 60-70%. This is a function of experience and.. luck. 

Albert  :D  :D  :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by albertknappmd
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Apologize at first, it's just a little bit off the topic but it's all about the APO 90mm.  What is that half click beyond f/2 and f/16 at both ends?  I just bought the lens 2 weeks ago and have no clue.  My instinct is telling me they are f/1.95 and f16.5 -- just kidding... any advise would be greatly helpful.

Mine is certainly a little loose, but I don't get a full half-stop on either end of the aperture ring, maybe 1/4 stop.  Given that f/2 is wide open, then I don't think retracting the blades further into the lens would have any effect on the image.  The little bit of movement past f/16 could make a tiny difference, but honestly it would simply add more defraction.  This lens is sharpest at f/8 and below.  Lots of love for the 90AA here... it's probably my favorite Leica lens of all time.  

As both Summilux 75 and Summicron 90 AA are being mentioned lets see the difference, first is 75mm at max F stop a bit out of focus on the eye.

This is probably the most bizarr set of images to compare the quality of two lenses to show their different qualities. It clearly favours the first which is the much more beautiful ...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

• Haha 1

Should I get the 90 Summicron APO or pre-APO versions? Is there noticeable differences in IQ or rendering? Thanks

90/2 v2 (11123) is an almost perfect lens but is very bulky. 90/2 v3 (11136) is my favorite lens for portraits but suffers from CA. 90/2 apo has not this CA issue and is significanty sharper at full aperture but is not forgiving for less than perfect skins. If sharpness is what you're after in the first place, 90/2 apo is the way to go.

• Like 1