Front focus M9 and Zeiss Planar 50mm f2

stevebuk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I recently purchased a used Zeiss 50 f2 to supplement my 35 Summarit. However, I've been struggling to get sharp images, wide open, close up. I've determined that it's not my lack of experience with the rangefinder, but it seems to focus a few cms in front of where I focus. 

I've researched and see mention of a few issues with the sonnar but generally people talk of very sharp images from the planar. The only reference I noted was someone mentioning that some of the older lenses were configured for film not digital and it might need calibrating? 

I've worked out if I just twist the focus a hair further, I can often achieve good focus and assume I would need to do this for every aperture, but I guess as it gets narrower, the dof will start to mask the issue. I can try to return the lens but I've had it a few weeks and am not sure I'll be able.  I was hoping to use the lens wide open quite often, but it seems too much like guesswork for important images.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

Steve

My Zeiss 35/2 needed to be sent to them for the film to digital adjustment. At the time it was under warranty and it was a no charge adjustment. Out of warranty I believe there is a fee. You might contact someone such as Don Goldman for this.

My Planar has perfect focus on my M9 (which is also fine with my Summicron and Summarits and other lenses), but the new 35 f2 Zeiss Biogon I bought a few years back also was off enough to make most pictures soft. I sent the Zeiss to DAG, who confirmed it was off, and adjusted it, and it has been fine since.

Since it's a used lens, an independent tech like DAG is likely faster and cheaper than sending to Zeiss, if you are located where a good tech is available.

The Planar design has negligible focus shift with aperture setting, unlike the Sonnar.

Back/Front  focus is is a fairly common problem with old lenses as is focus shift with F stop, and for an unrepentant pixel peeper like myself I have come across it and made up shims to correct it.  If you do not have the precision equipment to do this yourself I would recommend that you leave it to the experts.  Firstly you will need to measure the the focus over a range of stops F2 to E8 for example and see exactly where you need to set the best focus point,. this depends on your own preference.

I have posted the work in this forum that I did on my own 50 Summicron. If you search my posts you will find them.

Doug.

Thanks all. The good news is I have been able to return the lens and they are shipping me a newer replacement. Fingers crossed that lens is an improvement. I'll let you know when it arrives.

Good luck! In my experience, I prefer to have the lens calibrated to my taste by a local technician rather than get a replacement. Many RF lenses have some slight calibration issues out of the box.

• Like 1