Give a Leica to your son or daughter

Steed2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all

My daughter decided that she loved the Leicaflex SL and had to have one......mine. Since she is a neophyte and I knew that my SL's meter was still spot on, i gave her mine and bought another (you may have seen my post about the black lens mount). She loves "mine" (wish she used it more). Prices are lower than they have ever been, so i urge the faithful to take advantage of the price depression, bring new blood into the hobby, and build a new connection with your children....buy your son or daughter a Leica.

John W 

My daughter-in-law is quite a (dSLR) photographer, and was very interested in trying film, and couldn't adapt to a rangefinder. The SL was too big and heavy for her small hands, so I refurbished a Pentax MX and gave it to her. However, switching from an auto-exposure, auto-focus, etc. dSLR she got a negligible hit rate having to contend with focus, shutter, and aperture - and quickly gave up.

I traded her for a Pentax ME Super, so she can deal with focus only, and her hit rate went up. Next I'll let her try a Leica R4 with program mode, and that may do the trick.

But moving from auto-everything digital to even partial manual film is a big step for some, and easy to get discouraged.

BTW, it's hard to know where your kids' interests will lead. A friend from church, a generation older than I, had his Leica gear from the 1950s (and earlier), but neither of his (adult) kids had any interest, so the gear spent decades in his Texas attic. When I used an early Leica in a sermon illustration, he brought me his collection, including a '55 M3 DS, 2 IIIfs, a Ic, a Canon II, and various ltm lenses - and later a Focomat 1B and misc. copy accessories. He just wanted someone who would appreciate them. Although he offered them, I paid him market value, considering the inoperable condition from storage. As I could afford it I got them all serviced and have been using them, which has made him very happy.

So when you make plans to leave your kids things you treasure, be aware there may be disappointment. 

Edited by TomB_tx

• 7 months later...