Purchase M2 for future gift

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear All

Thank you for your comments. You have provided me wth a clarity that my hopelessly sentimental adoration for both my Leicas and my children would likely never allow.  
The two are quite separate, however, and my attempt to combine them, however sincere and well meaning, was, I fear, futile.

i have resolved to capture as many memories as possible with whatever I have, or acquire, and offer to them that which I have learned is of mutual value, not just of value to me. 

Meanwhile, in a case of cruel irony (or is it coincidence?), I was exercising my empty M2 tonight, and it inexplicably jammed. Shutter curtain is stuck and no advance is possible. 

Anyone know a good Leica tech in Melbourne, Australia? 

Regards

J

I used Camera Clinic a year or two ago, not for a mechanical M, my X1 had a flash issue, and Leica in Germany said "send it to them". I did, they were wonderful, very happy.

So, unless you find someone "better" give them a go.

If this doesn't work, I know of an extremely competent "older" guy in Auckland. He might balk at an international scenario, but I can/will help with that. He has repaired for me in the past an M6, and completely refurbished my Model 1a, plus he did the Leicaflex SL that I now own. An M2 I'd suspect would be a piece of old rope to him. PM me if you get stuck.

Gary

Thank you Mark and Gary. I've heard positive reports of Ernst at CE in Perth, less so of Camera Clinic.

Others have suggested Vic Plant in Melbourne. I may contact him first.

Failing these options, Gary I will be in touch :)

Luckily I have a backup MP to use in the meantime. I'd be sunk without :(

Kind regards

J

Whatever You decide - do not forget taking pics!

These will be much more valuable than an old Leica...

My dad did collect coins over decades, short time after he'd passed my brother & me sold the collection 'cause both we don't have any interest in them. It was HIS passion....

I'm 55 now and thinking about to sell most of my Leica, Nikon, Alpa and Rollei collection because I don't want to leave the trouble of selling this bu...hit my followers don't have any emotion for.

Thinking to sell fathers golden wristwatch too, I don't even carry a watch for decades now.

All good for Your twins, perhaps there will come more kids ;)

Thomas

Edited by duckrider

Everyone appreciates money. Estimate how much you imagine your M2 would be worth when your twins become of legal age. Quite  a gamble, no? So simplify and put, say, $12,000 into a good stock now, release it to your twins at 21. Relax and enjoy the ride. An example: a modest investment of $6k in 1979 of the right stock would make you a millionaire today. Go for it. Really! (My fave for persons of modest means is BRK-B.) Enjoy!

Edited by pico

• 4 weeks later...

My addition to the thread is ridiculously late, but I'll add it anyway.  I have a son in his thirties who has been watching me and my cameras for years and showing limited interest. Occasionally we'd go on a father/son walk around - he'd use his little Fuji - but it was mostly just to please me and have a talk. But, last year, I caught him eyeing my M2 and studying my film prints, and I could see that gleam in his eye. The retro idea of using film and its look were clearly appealing to him.  And, suddenly, I knew exactly what to get him for his birthday.  Found a lovely M2 (self timer, lever rewind, recent CLA) on eBay for $700 and added a Nokton 40, a J3, and a brick of HP-5.  Gave it to him last week and it was a hit.  This week, he called me to set up a walk-around.  I'm hoping it will become a long lived tradition, and that we'll go through a wall of HP-5.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm glad you added your experience, regardless of timing.

The mint M2 I had spotted is long gone, but the sentiment of my idea remains. You are very fortunate to have identified an interest your son holds in something you value, and to have your actions well received. I hope to be able to do the same in the future, be it with my Leicas or some other passion.

Please let us know how your photo walk tradition evolves!

Regards

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I inherited my love of photography from my father, and his teaching me darkroom skills in my early years. I have not inherited a love of his cameras, other than that they belong to him (i.e. Any love I have of particular cameras is down to my own preferences / any love I have of his cameras is down to them being objects he used - These 2 concepts are not related).

What I'm getting at, in a long-winded way, is that your sons will value the time you spent with them, and the things you did with them. They may have sentimental attachment to objects that you own and use, but it is not the objects themselves that create that value.

I think Pico is on track - Give them a grounding in what you know and love and, if possible, set them up to be able to make their own choices - They may prefer M6 TTL's over M2's...

Taking photo's of them will be much more valuable than tucking away a couple of cameras which they may or may not want.

Hi All

I'm contemplating the purchase of a (second) M2 as a future gift to our 2yo twins. This means I would keep (and carefully use) it for the next 16 to 18 years before handing both cameras to our twins on their 18th or 20th birthdays. I also have two 35 2.8 Summarons to go with the M2s.

I have the opportunity to purchase a mint in box M2 for around AUD $2k (USD $1,500, EUR €1,350) for this purpose.

Am I mad? Good idea? Too expensive?

Will M2s be relevant in 18 yrs?

Keen to hear your thoughts!

Kind regards

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In 18 years these cameras will be museum pieces. Will they be worth some money? They can be CLAed, no problem.

Will there be film still? I don´t believe so.

Does one exhibit a camera in the cupboard like a vase? Or like a Colt new model army.

I have the problem now. My father inherited a large many Viewmasters discs to me. The scanning of the pictures is time consuming, to say the least.

Also I have a great many of film reels (double 8). Scanning them to HD is possible. The quality is not so very good.

I became a Leica IIIF in 1957 with Elmars 5cm and 9cm. The camera works fine, but the analog results are not good in comparison with digital ones.

So what to do? My next generation is not so very much interested.

Jan

Hello Jan,

If you like doing film with your IIIf but you don't think that the lenses you already have produce photos of the quality that you would like: Why not find some more up to date screw mount lenses that are compatible with Leica Thread cameras? Either from Leitz/Leica or from another supplier.

You can still keep the other lenses that you already have for occasional use & you can make more technologically up to date photos with the more current lenses.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Michael

Thanks for your proposal.

Do you remember the viewfinder of the IIIF? I have OVFs for 135, 90, 50, 28 and 12mm!

A friend of mine used film last year, the laboratory printed his fotos left/right exchanged. The lab is a Leica shop too, so no cheap one.

I have given film development another try last year, but then you have negatives. They must be scanned - I have a Heidelberg Hires - aligned (best possible). That is too much handling. 

I stay with digital cameras. I want pictures, not handling. Kein Gwerch(!).

Jan

In 18 years these cameras will be museum pieces. Will they be worth some money? They can be CLAed, no problem.

Will there be film still? I don´t believe so.

Why don't you think film will still be available in 18 years time?

As for the idea of buying an M2 now to give as a gift in the future, I don't think it's a good idea. First off, the camera will almost certainly need a CLA before it could be used again. Then you have no idea if the recipient is going to be interested in cameras or photography. They may just stick the camera away in a cupboard for another 20 years.

Put the money in some investment instead and they can spend it on what they want at the time.

• Like 1

Hello Again Jan,

Did you ever think of doing E-6 slides & then scanning & printing them. Would that be any easier?

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello James,

Among other things, I repair old clockworks.

A mechanically shuttered Leica, whether screw mount or bayonet, is probably built to the standards of a high quality clockworks from 130 or so years ago. These late 19th Century mechanisms work just fine today if they are given the equivalent of a Cleaning, Lubricating & Adjusting of a mechanical camera.

These late 19th Century clockworks were NOT manufactured to the even higher standards of their predecessors 100 years before that. These earlier clocks, which were built to even higher standards, work just fine: Given an appropriate Cleaning, Lubricating & Adjusting every 20 to 50 years, or so.

By the way: Camera shutters, like a Leitz/Leica mechanical focal plane shutter are directly copied from the hour striking mechanism of mechanical clockworks as the were hundreds of years ago.

Then again, many everyday things, such as the automobile clutch & the bicycle chain, were directly copied from things already existant in the Clock/Watch Industry hundreds of years ago.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello Again Jan,

Did you ever think of doing E-6 slides & then scanning & printing them. Would that be any easier?

Best Regards,

Michael

Is there an advantage making slides in stead of negatives? You mean better laboratory work?

Jan

Hello Jan,

I'm not sure & so that is why I am asking.

I would think that there is less of an opportunity for complexities to arise during processing if the film being processed was slide film instead of negative film. If there is anyone reading here who has practical experience with both: Their input would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1